Our own RGD MIKE called out by G4.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by TheBotquax, Mar 27, 2012.

1. TheBotquax

TheBotquax SS.org Regular

Derpin' around on reddit I came across this video and I am completely at a loss for words. The fact that any normal human being, let alone a "mother" could walk up to an aspiring musician and say this right to their face is appalling. Instead of going out and partying/doing drugs like a fair amount of 17 year olds, this dude decided to dedicate his life to developing a REAL talent and appreciation of art, and THIS is how his mother thanks him for that. For me, the absolute worst part is the fact that he has no answers or explanation for why he plays guitar so much, he just takes the bullshit that his mother is spewing at him without stooping down to her level (I would have flipped a shit if my parents did ANYTHING like this to me, but thankfully, they are 100% supportive of my endeavors).

I've heard that the maker of this video posts here so, if you do happen to come across this;

Never stop making music because of what others think about you. If anyone ever tells you that you are wasting your time or "not contributing to society", rest assured knowing that they are in the small minority that has never experienced music as an art form capable of completely changing human emotions and outlook.

AMEN. :hbang:

P.S.(Crank that engl up to 10, if only to piss off your mom!!!)

2. Into Obsidian

Into Obsidian ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠

Wheres Twisted Sister when you need them?!

Don Vito and Goatchrist like this.
  3. TimmaethBoy

TimmaethBoy Boi I tell you phwut

That time of the month for her, eh?

Uber bitch mode, engage! :realmad:

4. ilovefinnish

ilovefinnish SS.org Regular

i feel bad for him, but he must continue playing and doing what he wants to do

5. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Gear Junkie

to play devils advocate there is always two sides to the story.

I kinda see what she is saying, if he does nothing but sit there all day, yeah he might become incredible at guitar but if hes not using it to his advantage ie playing out, making money, becoming a part of social people then she has a point.

Does he sit there and crank his ENGL in her house all day long that would even drive me nuts and I play guitar.

Does he work? does he listen to her? He is living in her house and looks young she mentions school so im assuming hes a college student.

There is always another side of the story. Keep that in mind.

6. Blind Theory

Blind Theory SS.org Regular

He originally posted that on this forum I believe, which obviously means he posts on this forum. You can probably find his thread about this via the search function.

7. TimmaethBoy

TimmaethBoy Boi I tell you phwut

Oh shit, apparently she locked his electric guitars up in a storage room somewhere.

:nuts:

"Hai, you a good musician? You won't be needing those anymore."

:rolleyes:

8. djpharoah

djpharoah Awwww Yeaaaah Super Moderator

Some people are the same with video games. :shrug:

9. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

10. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Yeah, I was just about to say the uploader of the video is a member here

11. mountainjam

mountainjam SS.org Regular

Wow. I missed this video the first time around. Dudes mom is a bitch. This video would have been epic if dude busted into a killer solo in the middle of the ladies rant.

12. decypher

decypher SS.org Regular

13. Winspear

Winspear EtherealEntity Vendor

Yeah I saw all the threads related to this and the situation is utterly disgusting.

Totally - I was myself for 6 years.
    I think there's a difference though. A musician creates something real, to share with others and benefit themselves emotionally. A game is still real of course, but at the end of the day those numbers on the screen are gone and you have achieved nothing.

On a casual level, yes, gaming is a totally valid form of entertainment, just like consuming any other artform. More engaging, even.

On an extreme level, I'd see nothing negative about a musician who enjoys playing all day to achieve their goals and better themselves as a person. That dedication is a great thing.
    However, I could usually assume some things about the mentality of an extreme gamer. I think most people who have been there and can look back on it and realise that they weren't truly happy. Realise it was an addiction rather than an enjoyment - they felt they were benefiting emotionally but they really weren't. Either that or they knew that all along, but were too lazy and depressed to do anything about it.
    Whilst I enjoyed every spare hour spent infront of a screen for 6 years at the time and was not at all depressed - Jesus do I regret it when I think of where I could be now if it were my guitar in my hands rather than a mouse. I think everyone who has been there feels the same in some way.

Absolutely - but I think you can tell from her attitude here and the fact that his guitars - his identity - have been locked away from him, that he is not to blame here and the woman has not a clue what she is causing.

This is clearly true. This is the somewhat justified reaction that I would expect from the mother of an extreme gamer or general couch potato. She is unable to see the emotional difference that I wrote about above.
    She asks in what way he is contributing to society. If she understood what feelings music can create, she would understand that satisfying yourself emotionally and being dedicated towards a creative goal is far, far more important than 'contributing to society'.

14. Alpenglow

Alpenglow music and shat

You summed it up. It still pisses me off watching this though. Half the time I am that guy, in high school and practicing guitar/writing music 2-3 hours a day. Good thing my parents completely support me though. I would've gone apeshit on my parent(s) if they did that to me.

15. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    When the vid maker had previously posted, I had asked if the various charges she made were true or not. I never got a response.

I have to admit, I'm still kind of curious as to whether or not this stuff was true.

16. Fiction

Fiction For Mod

^ does it matter how much time he's spending? He replied with himself getting good results at school. If my son was bumming around and going no where I'd be pissed, but it he's playing guitar all day and getting good grades, it shouldn't matter.

17. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    Given how he posted a vid about how his mom made unreasonable accusations, then yes, the truthfulness of those accusations does matter.

Someone just making up a bunch of stuff is one thing. It's quite another if someone is actually bringing up legitimate, truthful points, and then someone says that that person is lying to discredit that person and to gain sympathy for themselves.

18. ROAR

ROAR oaf tobar

"The mentality of your generation, just boggles my mind."

hahahahhahahhhaahaha
    fucking old crazy people man.
    One minute they're 20 and want to change the world.
    The next minute they're 50 and hate everyone.
    kill people burn shit fuck school

19. ittoa666

ittoa666 /)'3'(\

Made this way back when the video was posted for the first time.

[​IMG]

In all actuality though, I felt very sorry for him. I can see how some can't appreciate a love for music, but your parents? Aren't they supposed to support EVERY positive thing you do? I can't remember if he said there were underlying issues, but I can only take that video at face value. It's pretty sad.

20. Enselmis

Enselmis SS.org Regular

Cause that's totally the attitude that will make people think better of pursuing music. :rolleyes: