Orville les paul standard and should I get one??

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by sepultura88, Apr 4, 2017.

1. sepultura88

sepultura88 SS.org Regular

Hey guys so I've been doing my reading on orville guitars specifically the lps, my question to those who know about Gibson and there Japanese versions called orville should I buy a standard I found in EXCELLENT condition and its in black for 700?...it's a terada built one with the k in the sticker serial number and is it worth picking up for 700 dollars?? Again its well kept and plan on playing it for metal..is orville and orville by Gibson's built the same? I know there were differences but regardless having Japanese pickups and electronics were they built the same as the obg?? Thanks again

2. oracles

oracles Australian in Canda

Orville's are great, look into the Electra, Burny, Tokai, Edwards and Ibanez MIJ builds as well, they're great instruments. I've owned two of the Ibanez lawsuit LP's (still own one and it's a lifer, I only sold the other because it weighed 13lbs) fantastic instruments.

3. vilk

vilk Very Regular

I dunno man, I once payed 700$ for a brand new Edwards at ESP. 700 for a used lawsuit guitar from a kajillion years ago seems a little much imo
    If it were 400 I'd say go for it.

I'm sure that if you made a serious effort you could find a Gibson LP for 700$

4. kherman

kherman SS.org Regular

OBG is higher end than Orville.
    Orville would be closer to an Epiphone Elitist.
    OBG would spec closer to an actual Gibson.
    Mylespaul forum is a great resource to learn about the MIJ copies.

Other ones to look at are Crews, Bacchus, FGN (fujigen), History, Epiphone Japan (for correct headstock)

5. aus-rotten

aus-rotten SS.org Regular

Are you going for PAF tones or a more heavier style?
    Ive had 3 Orvilles, and 2 Orville by Gibsons. The standard Orvilles sounds dead even with upgraded electronics. The Reissues with Nitro finishes and 57 classics are awesome but the 45mm nut width killed it for me so I sold them.

If you want a old school feel with some nice PAF quack go with Grecos, they are awesome. If you are going to end up throwing some high output pickups in there just stick with ESP Eclipses (Japanese).

6. hairychris

hairychris Hairy Old Bloke

A good number of lawsuit guitars are better than the originals...

For OP, try it out. If it's a good one jump on it.