Ormsby guitars G.A.S. - info and feedback needed pls

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by Jacksonluvr636, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Jacksonluvr636

Jacksonluvr636 SS.org Regular

Hey guys,

I have this urge for an Ormsby. The only information I can find is on their site and on here.

I have seen nothing but great feedback on these guitars but I was hoping for a bit more information about the neck specs. The only thing I am able to find is that the hype gtr uses "a balanced D shape". Any measurements available anywhere to see? What is the neck carve similar too? ESP, Ibanez Wizard, LTD, Charvel? Very important to me and most likely a deciding factor seeing how I cannot try before I buy.

Also how to get into the FB group for the build runs? I am mostly looking for the hype GTR but given they have awesome payment plans I could possibly go for the real deal machine.

Any other feedback/reviews on these guitars are more than welcome.

2. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

cant really compare the enck in mine as I ahvent play that many guitars. But whatever info you look for, look from run 4 onwards. They changed the neck profile on the Goliaths, so the previous run would have a bigger neck.

Feel free to join the GTR facebook group for info about them. About custom runs, not sure. They are about to open a run of Hypes and Goliaths, but not sure when. Join the facebook group as it would get announced there first after their VIP list

Jacksonluvr636 likes this.
  3. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire despair ahead

mine was quite well built and had no real aesthetic issues other than slightly sloppy side dots.
    I can't really say how the 6 or 7 necks feel. The 8 string neck on my goliath was relatively similar to an rg8 neck.
    :shrug:

Gmork likes this.
  4. RiksRiks

RiksRiks ERG Player Wannabe

Can you tell us how many strings are you planning?
    The profile is flatter than the average (I have a run 3, 7 string Hype) its flatter than my 6 string LTD, profile was thin but not as thin as my old RG8, maybe just a tad thinner than a Kiesel 8 string. Maybe this references are not very helpful though! Hope te helps! Also keep in mind as Beto said, the profile was changed from run 4 onwards and now is thinner :)

EDIT: the exact measurements should be in Ormsbys website, IIRC

5. Turgon

Turgon SS.org Regular

I don't know for which model you are looking for, but I had a Hype GTR 7 string built by WMI and I quickly got rid of it. While the build quality was okay, it just didn't felt as expensive as it actually was. Just keep that in mind, you get a good instrument, but it feels (as least for me) not better as any schecter/LTD etc...
    Regarding the neck profile, I believe it was on the thicker side, very round yet comfortable. But I don't know which run I had.

6. RiksRiks

RiksRiks ERG Player Wannabe

I would say "how expensive it feels" is a pretty subjective way to judge a guitar, I personally think that if "feels as expensive" as any other Korean guitar I've ever played (even better than the PRS also made at WMI) but that really boils down to personal preference.

Also, and again from my point of view and nothing more, that shouldn't make me "quickly get rid of" a guitar if the quality was good.

I'm trying to be objective and I'm just pointing out that your opinion and the actual facts were kind of mixed in your post. I know Ormsbys are by no means perfect.

7. Jacksonluvr636

Awesome thanks for the replies.

I did get into the FB group and while it was not the most noob friendly setup on their website I was able to find the measurements of the neck and they say their neck shape is pretty much a Thin U.

I can get down with that, especially with a hipshot.

@RiksRiks - I planned on a 6 multi or possibly 7 multi Hype GTR.

@Turgon - IMO that is not a bad price. Yes, it is $250 more than other WMI instruments on average but I would be willing to pay that premium if the QC was better and the neck felt better than say some previous LTD's I had to return. Plus the looks is what is really getting me on these Ormsbys.

@A-Branger Good to know about the change in neck profile. I was half tempted to get an old one but now I will hold off as the ESP Thin U is as thick as I would like.

The thing that sucks for me now is that I really do not like the current speckled paint run. The Hype GTR is the only one I want but I want the finishes from the Kelley's or the V's that they have or the older Burl but again the older Burl, I am unsure what run that was but if the neck was thicker than no way.

I guess I will just have to be patient and hope for a run I like. I really do like the Masscar Ebony so I will have to see if any are in stock and available at any point.

8. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

run 5 (the one in production right now you prob saw the pics) got the maccasar ebony top and the dragon burst over quilt. Either wait for a spare or contact some dealers to buy one of their pre-orders.

Run 6 which should be 4 weeks after got hypes in flame tops with black burst on different colors. Same deal go with a dealer or wait for a spare if there are

run 8 got hypes with the copper top graphic

and I think after run 6 there would be a re-issue of previous runs popular models so there could be a chance for a walnut burl top?

best bet for spare is to shoot them an email so you can be on the list for one

9. Turgon

Turgon SS.org Regular

Yeah, you're right, I think it's due to my language deficites that I can't exactly verbalize what I mean.
    I'm with you in terms of personal preference. I just wanted to point out that I expected way more than what my Ormsby delivered. It was ok, but not as good as other instruments (even WMI) in this price range. And that's not only the feels, it was in fact the neck shape, the fan (too big imo) and the PUs. And that's why I got rid of it.
    I'm not saying Ormsbys are bad instruments, they just aren't for me.

RiksRiks and Jacksonluvr636 like this.
  10. Jacksonluvr636

Can you say which Run yours was from?

11. Turgon

Turgon SS.org Regular

Sorry, I don't know. BUT I know it was a Cherry Burst Maple finish, if that's of any help.

12. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

Run 2 ;)

Jacksonluvr636 and Turgon like this.
  13. d3monc

d3monc SS.org Regular

I'd be weary of getting into future runs with Ormsby. I paid up front 100% for a dragon-burst 7 with Run 5 in 2016 in like June. They were supposed to ship that December or January of 2017 if you paid in tier 1. Then there were issues with this or that, NAMM, other runs, Cites, etc... They denied my request for a refund 2 or 3 times. I had to do research into the Australian laws on refunds and finally swayed them to give me my money back. I believe they still haven't shipped Run 5 guitars either! They kicked me from the FB groups after this which is annoying because I would have bought one if they had spares but now I'm just put off by the company as a whole. Just giving my opinion and experience though so take it for what it is. A lot of people have praised them and speak very highly of the guitars.

I play music likes this.
  14. Nick

Nick Stop the Madness!

My friend owned (and just sold) one it was a really nice guitar. It was a standard scale Hype Gtr. The fretboard was wider than most other superstrats ive played, wider than anything in my current guitars

Suhr Modern
    Mayones Regius Core
    Mayones Duvelle
    Esp Horizon (2005)
    Jackson RR24 Pro

Its also quite flat so probably most similar to the RR24 except it was like the flattened out radius part all up the neck.

I'm telling you this purely based on feel and personal experience. I pay little attention to actual measurement details, if I like it I like it....

15. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire despair ahead

yeah I fell into the pre-order trap as well. Waited 2 years for a production MIK guitar. It was a great guitar, definitely better quality than my MIK strandbergs, but it just wasn't the right guitar for me as far as ergonomics go.
    The run 5 guitars are supposed to ship in the next month or two, so you could prob pick up a spare if they still have any or if you're still interested. :shrug:

16. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Do a search for unbiased reviews. Also, contrast those with other options out there.

I have not played an Ormsby, but I have seen quite a few quite descriptive reviews that have told me everything I needed to know in deciding whether to buy one or not.

17. Nick

Nick Stop the Madness!

I think the issue here is not the builder but the customers expectations :lol:

Ormsby is a small company and the reason their production instruments are good is because they take the time needed to make them that way and Ormsby himself has to travel from Australia to Korea to inspect batches etc.

If you put in a custom order with Suhr it would be assumed by them that you would just wait as long as they told you for the instrument and if you didnt like it you could go and FYS because they dont need your business. Ormsby is trying to offer the same level of accesibility that has led other builders to give up or actually go mental (BRJ) by running that facebook group to give customers updates and its got strict rules which I assume you broke to get yourself kicked.

Anyone that isnt willing to accept delays on small batch or custom guitars should not even consider putting money into them in the first place.

I dont know what people who complain about delays on this sort of thing do for work but in pretty much every line of industry delays are commonplace and timescales are estimated and refined during the course of a project because at the end of the day, in this case, the only way to know the exact amount of time it will take to build x guitars is to build x guitars and then work out the difference betweeen the time you started and the time you finished.

18. d3monc

d3monc SS.org Regular

I was just giving my personal experience with the company. You're examples refer to custom guitars. The GTR range are considered production guitars. I understand when contracting a custom build there can be delays and things might not go 100% on schedule. To say that a production guitar is over 2 years beyond the expected ship date is a bit of a stretch. Additionally, the information on delays was extremely spotty at best. Maybe you have thousands of dollars to hand out to people blindly but, I'd say majority of the world doesn't. Like I said I was just giving my own experience, OP is more then welcome to spend a couple grand and wait a few years to receive a product with little updates on the delays.

19. Nick

Nick Stop the Madness!

They arent really true production guitars though. Ibanez, ESP etc all make production guitars which you have zero input in the build process or timescales. At some point these guitars land in a dealers store front or website and you can buy it - that is a production guitar. These arent customs, true, and your delays do sound excessive but again, I would say if you cant deal with delays I would avoid this type of venture entirely.

20. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

100% of public perception is through communication, though. If a guitar is advertised as a production guitar, even if it's through word of mouth and not by the company itself, a customer purchasing that item will feel suckered if it takes 2+ years to receive delivery. :2c:

thesnowdog likes this.