Orange Rockerverb metal?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by traditional, Nov 9, 2009.

1. traditional

traditional SS.org Regular

What does everyone think in regards to an Orange Rockerverb doing metal?
    Really don't want to join the consensus of people with the generic 6505/Recto tone.

I've seen Rob Chappers' videos on YouTube and as interesting and hilarious as they are, not the sort of music i'd be playing - playing modern death metal.

2. christpuncher66

christpuncher66 Christpuncher66(6)

i wouldnt get an orange for metal. they have a more vintage tone than most amps geared toward metal music. they sound great for classic rock sounding stuff, stoner/doom, or shit with alot of clean guitar. they sound awesome, but when i played one the tone it had wasnt very metal sounding. the distortion wasnt tight enough. it has more of a traditional overdrive/fuzzy sound. not to say it couldnt do it, but if your going for modern metal sounds, itn definitely not the best amp for the job

3. traditional

Yeah, i've heard about the vintage/lack of tightness tone.
    Perhaps with some sort of boost in front (TS9/808) and a compressor could fix the lack of tightness?

Aside from that, what is a better amp for the job?

4. christpuncher66

hmm if i bought an orange, i wouldnt even bother using it for metal. it sounds good playing just about everything else. putting a boost in front of it would kill the tone imo. amps like that shine when played with the purest signal path possible.

besides 5150 and rectifiers.. engl's, vht's, framus, deizel and madison divinity(II and III) are known for being good for modern sounding metal. i know you can get a marshall tsl/dsl to do metal if you know how to mess with them.
    if you want facemelting gutteral tones get an ampeg vh-140c. a lot of old school death metal and grind bands used em for their tone. i have a crate shockwave (which crate borrowed ideas from ampeg for) and the distortion is pretty fucking brutal. but if you can, id get the original.

5. Fionn

Fionn SS.org Regular

Sounds about right! I've got one at the mo, its for sale, I wont do that uber saturated tone but yeah it'll do metal-ish toms, with a boost it can get pretty gainy, but also pretty grainy!!!

6. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Dude, orange rockerverbs can do metal.

JOHNNY TRUANT on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Every track was a guitar straight into a Rockerverb 50W or 100W (I forgot to ask), no pedals out front or anything. Any effects etc are added post recording. Stuart and Reuben just went straight in. They chose the Oranges after plugging into a few different rigs to find out which one worked best.

I got my info straight from Reuben Gotto himself ;)

7. Fionn

Fionn SS.org Regular

holy shit, thats a real nice thick tone!

8. AeonSolus

AeonSolus DO CEO / RHLC ©

Rockerverbs and Thunderverbs can do metal just fine from what i've experienced :shrug: just put a OD on front for Clean boost and you'll shit your pants :agreed:

9. blackrobedone

blackrobedone SS.org Regular

Yes, they are metal. More metal than a Soldano Avenger, and I own both (and I like the Soldano). Whoever said a Rockerverb 100 was vintage sounding and fuzzy is not speaking from direct experience. Maybe it can do both. But if you put the gain on 7 or 8 without a boost you have metal. I also think it sounds better without an overdrive pedal, which is unusual, and more along the lines of ENGL type saturation (as opposed to Mesa, which absolutely must be overdriven to sound decent).

10. TemjinStrife

TemjinStrife Power Metal Cellist

The Rockerverbs just LOOK vintage. They can do the firebreathing stuff without a problem.

11. trippled

trippled SS.org Regular

Well, I played a rockerverb, and I'm a metal player, and I thought it sounded
    great.

Alot of people are only interested in tight sounding amps doing all this
    "djent" stuff, and the orange does that less better than a VHT or Engl for instance.

But the orange sounds fuller and darker, and alot more organic than
    the Powerball that alot of people seem to praise.

FWIW, James Root plays a rockerverb on the last slipknot album and is now endorsed with orange, so, there's no doubt it does metal, the question is what are you searching in your tone.

12. snuif09

snuif09 SS.org Regular

bring me the horizon uses oranges =D

that will definatly make him search for another amp :p

13. traditional

Thanks for all the replies, the majority of people seem to think it can do metal.
    I'll make sure to check that myspace link - can't check it at the moment.
    Did I read correctly that a few people said that it's got the character of an ENGL?
    Or was that a reference to something else?
    Thanks again for the help.

14. Nightcrawler

Nightcrawler thrashin`til`death

+1 for metal. I dialed in sweet mastodon tone through one. But compared to my old Powerball, they sound nothing alike, but pball is an exeption. Orange is way more open and chunky. I'd like to have one, but need 3 channels.

15. signalgrey

signalgrey Ambiente Savante

Orange....metal...definitely.

16. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

If you do NOT want to sound like everybody else, but still want that aggression and punch and whatever other descriptive words you like, go with an Orange.

Thick, punchy, but defined. Yeah.

17. Interloper

Interloper SS.org Regular

I ditched my XXX for a Rockerverb 100 and I'll never go back. My band mates loved the XXX but I brought in the Orange for 1 practice before I paid for it and we were all sold on it. Best of all, it's got a better clean channel than any "metal" amp I have ever played through. It'll do whatever extreme brutal music you want with tons of clarity and tight thunderous low end and switch over to the most pristine cleans and everything in between. I swear, I haven't found a bad tone with this thing yet. I can dial in any tone I want in just seconds. I ditched most of my pedals because I don't need them anymore. Guitar straight to the amp with nothing but a Hardwire DL-8 in the loop and I couldn't be happier. I really don't get the people that say an Orange can't do modern metal. I think they have probably just never used a modern Orange.

18. Thin_Ice_77

Thin_Ice_77 You'll never make it

Bring Me The Horizon use them. Say what you like about their music but they get a good metal tone.

19. christpuncher66

hmmm i may need to try one out again. last time i played one, i wasnt trying to get metal tones out of it. i was dialing it for doom/sludge type stuff. i know it can do that. that and i got some nice hardcore punk/marshall tones. i dunno, either way, i definitely wasnt hating on orange or anything. if anything, id prefer orange over almost anything else thats out there..

i guess, i feel like using an orange for metal is.. a waste/being misused.. i dunno w/e.

20. AeonSolus

AeonSolus DO CEO / RHLC ©

IIRC, Mark Okubo from Veil of Maya used Rockerverbs at some point prior to his endorsement with randall.