Orange OR15 or Rockerverb?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Kyle-Vick, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Kyle-Vick

Kyle-Vick SS.org Regular

Anybody have any experience with these? I have an OR15 and love it, so I am thinking of selling it to upgrade to a Rockerverb. Anyone know if it is worth it? I like the sound of the British cleans with some light breakup, so I think it would be nice to have a dedicated clean channel I do not have to touch when I want to switch over to high gain stuff. I have a 5153 that does the crunch thing really well and a Dual Rec.

So am I missing out on anything here? Should I sell the OR to fund a Rockerverb to round out my amp collection, or just stick with the OR15? I do not have the opportunity to try one out for myself.

Any input is appreciated.

2. kindsage

kindsage SS.org Regular

I would go try a rockerverb and then decide. There’s got to be a big music store near you where you can try one out right?

3. kindsage

kindsage SS.org Regular

And does the OR15 have an effects loop? Because if it does the. You can use a cabling method along with a clean preamp like a Le Lead or AMT F1 to give you a dedicated clean channel

4. Kyle-Vick

Kyle-Vick SS.org Regular

Yes the OR does have a effects loop.

5. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Why not an OR50 if you like the 15?

6. Kyle-Vick

Kyle-Vick SS.org Regular

From my understanding they are voiced differently. From what I have read, the OR15 sounds like the dirty channel on a Rockerverb.

7. Ogami-Z

Ogami-Z SS.org Regular

I have an OR15, it’s a great wee amp & very versatile for a single channel amp. But it’s not based on the dirt channel of a rockerverb, that would be the Jim Root Terror. The OR15 is built using the same parts as the JRT & is pretty high gain but it’s more vintage voiced with a bit more sag, not as tight as the JRT or a rockerverb.

I also have an EVH5150 50 watt thats also a fantastic amp but the OR15 suits my more doom/sludge musical tastes lately & my poor EVH hasn’t seen a lot of use. But it’s good to fall back on for when i feel like playing thrash or prog metal.

If I wanted to uprade from the or15 I’d be looking at a used or100, maybe an or50 (more vintage voiced & no fx loop). If you want a more modern sound then the rockerverb or even a dual dark.

Kyle-Vick likes this.
  8. NolanLikesLions

NolanLikesLions SS.org Regular

I think if you need a lot more gain, grab the rockerverb. The OR50 in any other situation though.