Options to replace a second tone pot

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Aliascent, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Aliascent

Aliascent SS.org Regular

Hi guys,
    So I got a Michael Kelly Hex Deluxe not long ago, and since it needs some tlc I thought I'd upgrade the electronics while I'm at it.

Especially the second tone pot, which is functioning but can be infinitely turned (just held in place by the knob basically) and since I'm found of volume/tone configs I really don't need a second tone and thought I could replace it with something else entirely, but what ?

My options so far
    -killswitch : almost useless to me but fun when I do use it.
    -boosters : I really don't need more gain, since I'm already using high gain amps.
    -EMG RPC: sounds fun but this guitar is in E standard, it really doesn't need a low end cut / high end boost
    -EMG EXG: basically a "scoop" the mids pot according to the description. I like mids.
    -desolder it and leave it as a dummy pot, just so there's

And those are all the options I found / I'm aware of. Do you guys know anything else I could use, or do you know any cool wiring options ?

2. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

I don't know the guitar in question, but another option is just to use the hole for the tone pot as the hole for the volume pot, thereby moving the volume pot out of the way - on some guitars the volume pot can be a bit too close to the pickups so that you unintensionally change the volume, which can be annoying. Anyway and then you would just leave the volume pot hole empty, or find some thing to cover it with - makes sense?

Aliascent likes this.
  3. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

Series/parallel switch

Aliascent likes this.
  4. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

Replace the pot with a switch. You could use it for coil split or a variety of other things.

wedge_destroyer and Aliascent like this.
  5. dr_game0ver

dr_game0ver SS.org Regular

6. wedge_destroyer

wedge_destroyer SS.org Regular

Split, phase, a clean boost or not so clean boost, a varitone, a toggle kill (I find them more useful than momentary) any number of things.

Aliascent likes this.
  7. Miek

Miek POSTING ON INTERNET

series/parallel switch

Aliascent likes this.
  8. Aliascent

Aliascent SS.org Regular

Thankfully the volume is in the right spot,contrary to my Jackson, and has some resistance, so I never bump it by accident. I'd avoid holes or plugs, for aesthetics reasons. Worst case, i just unplug it and leave it there.

Thanks for all the replies guys.

Something I forgot to mention is that this guitar has EMG 81/85 in it, and those aren't splittable as far as I know. So that eliminates any splitting possibilities, unless I swap them EMGs for something else, which may not be a bad option either.

So far I'm leaning towards either a mid-boost like on those old Jacksons, or the EMG EXG. I do run enough mids on my amps to sacrifice a bit without problem, and it sounds good for cleans.

Guitarfetish also has a whole range of preamps, going to look into those too.