Options for cloud hosting & streaming my music?

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by Grand Moff Tim, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Grand Moff Tim

Grand Moff Tim Some call me... Tim

Howdy, all.

For the past couple years, I've been using the iCloud & iTunes Match to host and stream my music library across all of my devices (PC laptop, iPad, and iPhone). It's a handy thing to be able to do, but recent developments have thrown a wrench in that.

As some of you may have seen, Apple's design team has decided to not include a headphone jack on the upcoming iPhone 7. That means being forced to use proprietary Apple headphones, sh!tty Bluetooth headphones, or a proprietary lightning port adapter for my current headphones. That is obviously totally absurd and a completely obvious cash-grab on their part, and will likely be the final straw that pushes me over to Android.

However, I've become rather spoiled by being able to stream my library anywhere I go, and ditching the iPhone means ditching iTunes. I recently replaced my iPad with a Surface Pro 4, but that still runs iTunes. I won't be so lucky with an Android device. That has got me sniffing around at my other options.

So what do you guys know of? What have you tried? What are the advantages/drawbacks of the services out there?

Note: I am not interested in a streaming service like Pandora or Spotify or whatever. I'm not looking for the option to listen to music I don't own and be at the mercy of whatever selection a given service has. I want to listen to my own music library; music that I have already purchased separately.

Note Pt. Deux: I live in South Korea (for now), and Google Play is currently not available here. I'm hopefully moving to Japan next March, where it is available, but for now it won't be an option. It seems like the best candidate so far with regards to its features, but I won't be able to use it until I'm out of SK. Is it worth waiting for, or should I look at something else?

That was all a bit ramblomatic, I know, and I do apologize. I trust you jerks, though, so please humor me and drop some knowledge bombs.

2. Pav

Pav ???

Damn, I was going to recommend Google Play. I've been using it for the past two years and it's absolutely worth it once you're out of SK. It will work regardless of what media player you use on your computer so you won't have to get rid of iTunes. Try checking out the Amazon Music app, I believe that also allows you to upload and freely stream anything you want. Plus you get immediate access to a large music library provided by Amazon if you happen to have a Prime account.

3. Given To Fly

Given To Fly Contributor

This really only affects people that own iPhone 7's, which as of right now is no one. If you choose to buy an iPhone 7, the proprietary Lightning port adapter comes with the phone. If you choose not to buy an iPhone 7, you will have nothing to worry about. :2c:

4. Grand Moff Tim

I'm aware nobody has one yet. I own an iPhone now, though, and unless it lasts forever (which it won't), I'll have to get a new phone someday. If the no headphone jack thing is a decision Apple is going to continue to run with, then it will absolutely affect me when it comes time for me to replace my iPhone. If, as you say, I choose not to buy an iPhone 7, I'll still have to buy a new phone of some sort. I'll still want to be able to stream my music, which was the point of this thread.

I don't want to have to use headphones and an adapter just to listen to music, even if it comes with the device. I don't need an adapter for literally any other brand of phone, or for my laptop, or for my tablet. It's absurd.

What's going to happen if and when I lose the adapter? Do you figure it'll come with a spare? Or am I going to have to pay Apple's prices for an spare, just to make sure I can use a product I already paid for in the same way I could use every one of its predecessors and all of its competitors?

Perhaps Apple will reverse their decision to make their phones give you a warning when you try to use a third party version of one of their peripherals like they currently do when I try to use a generic lightning cable to charge it, that way I'd be able to save money on adapters.

What's going to happen if I'm away from home and I want to listen to music while charging my phone? Will the adapter allow me to use headphones and charge at the same time? You know, like I can with any other phone on the face of the earth?

What's going to happen if, as with my current iPhone, the Lightning port becomes touchy and will only charge when I prop the cable at juuuuuust right angle? Will I still be able to use it with headphones, or will that be a balancing act as well?

Sooooo yeah, I guess you're right. I don't have to choose to buy a new iPhone. Apple's making that decision easier for me. If you have any useful advice that pertains to the subject of this thread, that'd be cool.

5. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Why can't you use iTunes with a Samsung product? If you are disowning Apple altogether, there are literally too many options for music players for me to list.

I gave Apple a shot back in University, with a Mac Mini, which was dirt cheap and tiny. I seemed okay, except, back then, there weren't very many applications compatible with Apple. I lost my confidence in the company, though, when it came time to upgrade the device with more memory, and the upgrade was going to cost me three times what I paid for the computer, just for the part, and then I'd have to have an Apple employee install it (by opening the case of the computer and inserting the RAM card into the motherboard, and then closing the case back up. .... that! So I boxed up my mac mini and bought another PC.

6. Grand Moff Tim

Because iTunes isn't available on Android operating systems, which is what Samsung phones use. The only mobile platform it works on is iOS.

I'm not just looking for a music player. Those are a dime a dozen. I'm specifically looking for ones that work with cloud hosting and streaming of my own music library across multiple devices.

7. bostjan

iTunes works on Windows. I guess they haven't come around to Android, yet, but they likely will eventually. iTunes on Windows generated a lot of revenue for Apple.

Have you looked into iSynchr, DoubleTwist, AirDroid, etc.?

8. Grand Moff Tim

I know iTunes works on Windows. The only reason I was able to go from an iPad to a non-Apple tablet is because the Microsoft Surface tablets run full-blown Windows rather than a mobile OS, so I can still run iTunes on it. I highly doubt iTunes will come to Android any time soon, since they've had years to make that decision, yet they haven't.

I hadn't until you made me aware of their existence :lol:.

iSyncr looks like a no-go, because unless I'm misinterpreting what their site says, it's more for syncing stuff that will actually take up physical space, rather than hosting it elsewhere and streaming to other devices.

DoubleTwist, on the other hand, looks extremely promising. Apparently it can stream music from a OneDrive account, and since I already have a Microsoft Office 365 subscription, I apparently have a friggin' Terabyte of storage space available on my OneDrive. That ought to be more than enough to hold my library, so if I can do that and stream across multiple devices, then I might have found my solution. I'm gonna dig around and read some reviews, and wait a bit to see if anyone has anything else to chime in, but this has some real potential.

Good lookin' out, man. Thanks for the heads up!

EDIT: One potential issues I'm seeing with DoubleTwist is that cloud version only seems to be available on Android, so I wouldn't be able to use it to listen to music on my laptop or my tablet. Am I overlooking something?

9. Grand Moff Tim

Apparently Microsoft has Groove, its own program/service for streaming music from OneDrive. Anyone have any experience with that?

EDIT: Nevermind, the service isn't available in Korea.

10. TheKindred

TheKindred TimeTravel Innovator

I've been looking into this lately.

OwnCloud/

11. bostjan

I've used Groove before, but never tried to interface it with iTunes formatted files. I've never had any issues with it, but I haven't figured out the features, other than just playing a file.

12. Grand Moff Tim

Scratch that, it's only the Groove Music Store and Spotify-style Music Pass that aren't available in SK. The player itself is still an option for streaming my own music from OneDrive, and it won't cost me anything (apart from my 365 subscription, that is). It's going to take foooooorever DLing all my sh!t from the iCloud and uploading it to OneDrive, but it's an option.

13. Grand Moff Tim

Hoooooooly sh!t, OneDrive's upload speeds are sloooooow. This is going to take months. :lol::lol: