Opinions on Skervesen Raptor 7 necks

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by gujukal, Sep 6, 2018.

1. gujukal

gujukal SS.org Regular

Hi! I'm leaning on buying a Skervesen Raptor 7, but a bit curious about the necks. I used to own one but it was multiscale but I'm planning on buying a regular baritone now instead. Is there any difference in the neck shape between the fan fret and regular? My Raptor 7FF had a asymmetrical neck which was really comfy, thicker on the treble side and thinner up on the bass side, so would be cool if the regular Raptor 7 had a similar shape.

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Are you buying used? If you're ordering a new one, couldn't you spec the neck to your preference?

3. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

Why does it make more sense to ask us instead of Skervesen? :coffee:

Wolfhorsky likes this.
  4. gujukal

gujukal SS.org Regular

Yes used, I've done some research and neck shape seems to differ quite a bit between guitars.

Good idea, usually quicker replies here than mailing guitar brands :p

5. MaxOfMetal

Then shouldn't you ask the sellers of the specific guitar you're looking to buy? :scratch:

6. gujukal

gujukal SS.org Regular

Gonna do that, just wanted some unbiased opinions :p Seller probably wont tell me that the neck shape is terrible if it is.

7. MaxOfMetal

There's not really such thing as a "terrible" neck shape, I mean, I suppose they could sand it into a sharp jagged edge, but I doubt that wouldn't be obvious. :lol:

Your best bet would be to just ask the seller "what's the neck like" and see what they say. As long as you don't tell them something stupid like "I'm only buying if it has an extra thin neck" they wouldn't really have a way of deceiving you into buying it.

You said yourself you did the research and there's variation on the necks by build, so if anything this thread could be misleading based on the replies.

8. gujukal

gujukal SS.org Regular

Just received this Raptor 7 https://jolygram.com/profile/maisguitarra/photo/1824327984779523301_2263264459
    And the neck shape is a very comfortable asymmetrical shape, thin and kinda flat on the bass string side and a bit thicker and rounder on the treble string side. Very nice shape for resting your thumb. Just a heads up for people thinking of buying a Skervesen, this was brand new and I'm not 100% sure how the neck is on the older stuff.

pondman likes this.
  9. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

I've tried two. One 6 string and one 7.

Both had a *kinda* V-shaped neck actually. Different to what I'm used to, but felt good to play.

10. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

That fretboard is so tasty. Nice.

11. gujukal

gujukal SS.org Regular

Thanks yes it is! It's actually both birds eye and flamed maple fretboard, never seen a guitar with that before.

12. Snarpaasi

Snarpaasi SS.org Regular

Having ordered and owning a Skervesen 4AP, the asymmetrical shape is the only one they offer iirc. I find it really comfortable, not any Wizard-thin but rather a good all arounder for a modern player. At first one could think asymmetricity being ugly and such but I can only recommend going for it. Easy to get used to and the satin finish on an unpainted neck is superb.

13. Isurez

Isurez Skervesen Guitars

Hello!
    From October 2016 we started to do symmetrical necks in all six and seven string guitars. There were some exceptions but only a few (like for example my private 4AP, because I prefer a little bit thicker necks).
    In all 8 string and bass guitars we are doing asymmetrical neck shape.

There were really different necks until October 2016 - I sincerely recommend to contact us via guitars@skervesen.eu for more details about any specific guitar that we built because some of the neck shapes were made to measure.

Best!
    Bart
    Skervesen Guitars

14. Wolfhorsky

Wolfhorsky Regular idiot

When You place an order, there is some room to make it more personalised ;-)