Opinions on Dimarzio Fusion 7 Neck Pickup?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by TheCasualDoctor, Sep 28, 2016.

1. TheCasualDoctor

TheCasualDoctor SS.org Regular

Hi guys

I've picked up a new guitar recently (RGDIX7), and it saw it's first gig and performed great. Love it. We play aggressive groove/trash metal.

The only thing I'm finding odd is the neck pickup. My other guitar is an RG7620 with a set of BKP Juggernauts, which I love, but the neck in particular is one of the best pickups I've ever used- it's what convinced me to start using the neck pickup more often. Buttery smooth leads with some attack, great cleans, not too boomy.

With the Fusion Edge 7 neck, it's very boomy. It seems to also be quite mild in terms of driving the amp, even though I've raised it as much as I dare. Using it for leads makes it seem very anemic. When using it for cleans, it's rounded to the point of lacking definition.

One thing that surprised me though- when I used it for rhythm by mistake, it put me in mind of that odd Bloodbath chainsaw-esque growl. If I EQ some extra treble in, it actually becomes very usable, which is cool, but not something I can integrate into my set.

I could use my lead channel to eq for the bridge, but it just adds tone-switching admin to the set.

I toyed with the idea of putting the New7 neck from my RG7620 into the guitar, but I'm loathe to open up my new toy!

It's odd, but not to the extent where I'd think something is wrong/broken. Does anyone have similar experience with this pickup?