Opinion - RG7421XL vs RG752FX

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by eightsixboy, May 30, 2018.

1. eightsixboy

eightsixboy あなたのお母さんを犯さ

Hi all,

So I have the opportunity to buy either of these guitars. I currently have a RG752 as my main guitar but wouldn't mind another as a back-up or for lower tunings.

Both look to be in good condition and around the same price. The 7421 is stock whilst the 752 has Seymour Duncan Nazgul and sentient pups fitted, the body has been nicely routed by the looks of it.

The biggest Pro's for the 752 seems to be bang for buck and being a tried and tested setup, whilst the 7421 is more for the rare factor and 27 inch scale.

What would you guys choose? The guy wants around $750USD for the 7421 and around $830 USD for the 752. I'm not in the U.S so it makes the 7421 even more rare I guess.

I currently also have a Indo 7421 that I use in C standard with a low A which is fine for me in the 25.5 inch scale. So just wondering if getting the 27 inch scale is even worth going for?

2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire despair ahead

If it was me, I'd go for the 7421xl, they're pretty hard to find and I love having a 27" scale. If you're on the fence about the longer scale length then don't bother with it.

3. eightsixboy

eightsixboy あなたのお母さんを犯さ

How much difference does the extra length make? The only longer scale Ibanez I have had was a 2127FX which was 26.5 inch and I can't remember what it played like tbh.

4. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire despair ahead

It's not a huge difference for me tbh, but I have pretty big hands. The easiest way to explain it is take your 25.5" scale and imagine adding on one more fret after the nut.

5. op1e

op1e Blood_Lust:Unlimited

I really wish they'd reissue some baritone RG's. Really a fan of the shape and how they feel and hang on you. Don't really like RGD as much, and there's only higher end models of those out right now. Give us our $500 baritone RG so we can quit having to buy Shecters and Agiles. Not that those are bad options.

soldierkahn likes this.
  6. eightsixboy

eightsixboy あなたのお母さんを犯さ

How much is a RG7421XL worth these days? Seen these in the US for like 4-500?

7. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

I know that the RG7421XL is getting harder and harder to find, but that's far more than I'd ever pay for one, especially stock. :2c:

Can you try before you buy?

8. cardinal

cardinal Strat 7 Guy

The 7421XL would have a narrower and likely thinner neck than the 752. Combined with the longer scale, it will feel pretty different.

To get an idea of the difference between 25.5” and 27”, take a 25.5” guitar and tune it up half a step. That’s what the tension and stretches would feel like at 27”.

Both should have the same high quality build.

9. gienek

gienek SS.org Regular

I find 26.5 scale hard to match for strings. 9 are weak an 10 are too hard. But 26.5 will feel more like a fender scale, aside 27 will sound as different animal. If your looking for that sound of course.

My decision will be determined by neck amd bridge. I will go for thicker neck. Also im not a fan of Gibraltar but can be better option.

10. 7 Dying Trees

7 Dying Trees Forum MVP

7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
    if you don't use a trem, go for the 7421XL, I had one back in the day, very nice guitar, and basically a fixed bridge 1077xl which people go nots for. Scale isn't that much of an issue, and is excellent for riffing. Use the difference in cash to do a pickup upgrade.

At the same time, if you do a lot of lead work, you may find that the scale length makes it a bit trebly sound wise and thin, but that's the same for all extended range, and the reason I've always ended up selling my 1077s (should of kept one... )

As a backup, and something different, but not too different, get the XL, hands down. The other one are a dime a dozen, when in doubt, go for the rarer, as if you don't like it, there'll be no shortage of takers for it.

11. Glades

Glades Down in the Everglades

I have a 2127z (26.5") and a S5527 (25.5" scale), and I prefer the shorter scale. To my ears it sounds better, and it plays easier than the longer scale. But also I don't downtune below A Standard (10-59 intonate perfectly with this tuning at 25.5").
    I would prefer the longer scale if I was tuned to G Standard and below.

12. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

I have an RG752 and I absolultey love it. It really comes down to if you need the 27" scale. Personally I find 27" a bit uncomfortable and 26.5" fine but I play better and prefer a 25.5". Since you are only going with a low A, I don't see the needs for anything longer than a 25.5". If you plan to go lower then that, you might want the 27" or find a 26.5". I have my RG752 setup up in Drop G# with a 10-52 + 72 and it works perfectly. But some might not want that thick of strings.

13. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

752 if you decide not to bother with the scale length difference, but 7421XL to try something new and have a cool rare factor. I had one of the XL's for a while and it played like a champ :2c:

See if you can talk down the price a bit on the 7421XL, that way there's more room for new pickups. I had a set of Ionizers in mine, plus Hipshot saddles and some cheap-ish Vanson locking tuners. It was a hell of a guitar after those easy mods, and I really miss it sometimes. I only got rid of it because it was part of a trade for a dream amp :(