Oni Guitars

Discussion in 'Dealers & Group Buys' started by dpm, Aug 19, 2005.

1. dpm

dpm Oni Guitars Contributor

I've got pics of stuff I'd like to post but can't just yet for various reasons :/

This one is actually the best pic I've taken of the body's back contour but it has a bizarre reflection so I didn't put it on Facebook

[​IMG]

2. dpm

Somebody tell me how to post pictures again :lol:

3. ikarus

ikarus SS.org Regular

The easiest way is to upload it to an image host website and then link it from there.

4. dpm

It's in my public dropbox folder like other pics I've linked here years ago. The link works :shrug:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o5wozym4t0q8yj7/IMG_1247.JPG?dl=0

EDIT - Actually, it's been so long since I posted pics here that they might have been on photobucket. I forgot I had an account there :lol:

I'm so old. So very old.

5. thrsher

thrsher \m/-_-\m/

this thread just got so much better haha

6. dpm

7. dpm

Woo, found out how it's done with dropbox files. Onward and upward and such

8. dpm

So, for those who missed it on Facebook here's a mystery object!

[​IMG]

9. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Are you making a headless squareneck extended range resonator guitar? :lol:

10. dpm

If only:idea:

11. dpm

Right, time for a proper post here.

It's into the second half of 2016 and a very long time since I posted on sevenstring. The way things were here immediately after the site's sale had me avoiding the place, then real life got in the way, and so forth. After looking around again a couple of weeks back I thought it might be a good thing to pop my head in every now and then. Certainly wasn't expecting to see this thread still going :lol:

So, goings on over the last few years... I pretty much slipped off the radar deliberately. There's only so much time available so my priority was catching up with orders among the chaos. The e-scale thing popped into my head, as did a few ways of making this Oni thing somehow viable. The main solution was to drastically simplify the options I offer, so I no longer build entirely custom guitars, nor do I agree to major modifications of the designs. (If I want to create something from the ground up I do it for my own entertainment and work it in around other jobs. That way it doesn't matter how long it takes, or if it works at all)

I'm now at a point where I'm happy to take orders regularly, in fact I'd love to take a few more right now. The models offered are 6, 7 and 8 string versions of the e-scale (curved fanned fret) guitars, as seen in recent posts and on Facebook ( https://www.facebook.com/oniguitars ).

The designs are fixed, so options are limited to a few primary body and neck woods, a lot of fancy top woods, fretboards... on the wood front I'll consider most things pending immediate availability and your willingness to pay for what it costs to source. Keep in mind that I'm in Australia. If I want a single decent alder body blank it'll cost me probably $60 - $80 USD plus $75 - $100 shipping. It's more logical for me to use locally available woods like Australian Blackwood or Queensland maple.

I'm now able to offer a range of finishes from oil through to solid colors, including pearls and some sparkles. I'll consider any suggestion and make a decision based on whether I'm confident I can achieve the desired result.

Pricing is currently typically AUD5500 - 6000. At current exchange rates that's in the low USD4k area. Please keep in mind that these guitars are extremely time consuming to build.

Time frames are the trickiest part to estimate. Complications on one build will effect everything that follows, and life has a tendency to throw curve balls. Currently I'm saying approximate 2 year waits. My estimates are now quite conservative, so if I say 2 years I'm reasonably confident it'll be done sooner. That wait allows for potential problems.

Finally, PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME HERE. I probably won't reply. My email address is dan at oniguitars.com so please contact me via that or message me on Facebook.

Thanks, Dan :wub:

12. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Anyone who hasn't seen it, check out the new design Dan is working on. He's got a rough draft sort of build of it on his FB page. It's sure to be polarizing, but I personally LOVE it. He's always been a forward thinker, and was doing fanned 9s when we are all still in diapers. So now he's moving to the next thing, and while it looks unorthodox, it will look pretty normal in 10 years, I'd bet.

13. dpm

:yesway: A mate/customer posted it in a Facebook group to see what they thought. The comments weren't just negative, they were aggressively negative and downright rude :lol: Mission accomplished ;)

14. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

I'm with you, I think it looks ridiculously cool. Could some of the design aspects and shape be reworked a bit? Sure, but I really like where it's going.

15. wannabguitarist

wannabguitarist Contributor

One of the only OG sevenstring.org luthiers that's still kicking around :yesway:

Glad to see an update. Not a fan of the new design but the wood choices are pretty :lol:

16. dpm

That's where I'm at with it now. The leg rest in particular I knew wasn't right so I made it big to start with being 95% sure I'd be altering the shape. CAD only helps up to a point, it's not the same as having the object there in real life. I haven't uploaded pics yet, might do later today.

TBH the oddest (to me) reaction I've noticed is the thought that this guitar is aimed at some lofty goal. It's not, it's just a rectangle with crap added on. There's no intent at innovation, I just started with a rectangle, then did the minimum to get it feeling like a typical S-type guitar when held. It's a bit of a laugh, nothing more.

As for building it, I needed to get some practice at vacuum bagging and working with carbon again before tackling something more important, plus it's a good skills exercise all round and keeps the old brain ticking over.

17. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Boutique doorstops. Cornering the market.

18. dpm

It's probably a more viable business venture :lol: Time for a doorstop group run? :ugh:

19. dpm

20. Alberto7

Alberto7 ΩGJ :3

^ And you've dragged me with you. :lol: I got talked into opening an Instagram account ages ago by a friend. I never even touched that account, even though I was always tempted to use it for one reason or another. All that eyecandy you posted was the straw that broke the camel's back. Sooooo freaking good! :bowdown: