On time when recording, off time on playback?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by will_shred, Jul 19, 2017.

1. will_shred

will_shred not that good.

Still having the same issue, this time I'm positive that its not me.

2. Sanrek

Sanrek SS.org Regular

I'll have to check a bit on the reaper's side since I haven't been using it for at least two years, but to be completely certain, you already tried with the appropriate ASIO driver, with the lowest latency settings possible (without causing any audio dropout - which shouldn't happen during tracking anyway as as mentioned by
    JohnIce recording a single audio track doesn't requires any kind (or nearly) of processing power especially by nowadays' standard).

If the above is true and you're still having the time mismatch between recording and playback, it might be on the software something like automatic delay compensation with wrong settings, or perhaps something simpler, like direct monitoring activated (with zero latency) when recording and a somehow high buffer, which would requires either manual or automatic delay compensation.

That's all I have in mind right now, but I will dig it a bit. It would help to know your signal chain and monitoring chain if possible so maybe we can find the culprit here somehow.

3. will_shred

will_shred not that good.

Guitars are just direct into the antelope, which is doing all the work. I'm recording my guitars with Biasamp with some added effects. Its really frustrating because everything i'm recording just sounds just a little off time, and it completely kills the entire song. My sense of timing is good enough to where I know its not me, when I record I am live monitoring and it sounds perfectly on time. Then on playback its off by maybe less than 1/8 second.

4. Sanrek

Sanrek SS.org Regular

Hmm, do you have Plug-in Delay Compensation (PDC) active ?
    (And what are your audio device settings (buffer size/sample rate), I remember in reaper that for example both of these fields had to be completed AND checked (if manual), or "use reported audio driver latency" (if automatic) ) )

These are some usual causes of recording/playback delay but I'm just giving some blind generic ideas here - there's literally tons of topics describing the same kind of symptoms in the cockos forum, but with very different causes, so you might want to explore them a bit after checking the settings I mentioned.