On Impulse-Animals As Leaders Help!

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by Jedi Pirate, Nov 21, 2010.

1. Jedi Pirate

Jedi Pirate SS.org Regular

I can't get a technique down when I'm trying to play this song! It gets me frustrated! It also makes it worse that this is the first song I'm learning that uses finger picking/pick..picking, some sort of hybrid? Can anyone shed some light? How am I supposed to play it? Thanks

2. Tree

Tree Bald Bear

It is in fact just called hybrid-picking :lol:. As far as providing help it's just a matter of practicing all the parts really slow and eventually building up speed (just like anything else). This was one of the first hybrid-picking songs I learned as well. Just keep at it and it will come to you :yesway:

3. Jedi Pirate

Haha cool, so there's no like "correct" way of doing it? I just mainly try to use my ringer finger and my middle finger, and that's pretty much it

4. Tree

Tree Bald Bear

I subscribed to Jamplay.com to get the Tosin lessons. So the correct fingers to use are the pick, obviously, then your ring, middle, and pinkie. The pinkie is the hardest one to control and will likely require the most practice. Just have fun and practice until you're comfortable with it. :hbang:

5. Guamskyy

Guamskyy Hwat you call me?

The hybrid picking is a pretty useful thing down the road in creating your own music dude, so I would take the time to learn it fully! I'm still trying to tame my pinkie and make sure it hits strings I want it to hit when hybrid picking:lol:

6. Jedi Pirate

Yeah, i only use my pick, middle, and ring finger for the intro, do i need t be using all of them?

7. Alberto7

Alberto7 ΩGJ :3

I've actually learned a good deal of the hybrid-picking part of the song and I haven't used my pinky finger. Nor do I plan on using it. :nuts:. And I don't remember seeing Tosin using his pinky either. But on that last one I could be proven wrong, as I'm not very sure... If somebody can prove me wrong, please enlighten me.

But I guess that's just because of my classical guitar influences. It's strictly prohibited to pick with your pinky finger on what would be the "proper" way of playing classical guitar. Which is the way my first guitar teacher taught me and how I've been playing it ever since.

As for learning this song... Just practice it slow... Very slow... VERY, VERY slow, in fact. And for a LOOOONG time. You have no idea how much time I spent trying to get the hybrid-picking technique down :lol:. Like everything, practice makes perfect :yesway:

8. Tree

Tree Bald Bear

Tosin uses his pinkie in every video, and specifically mentions it in the tutorial videos. I don't know if it's "unorthodox" or anything, as I'm not classically trained. Either way, you don't NEED to use any fingers you don't want to. That's just the way he plays it. Learn it whichever way is most comfortable to you.

9. Winspear

Winspear EtherealEntity Vendor

I'm learning it but I play with a thumbpick - so I'm actually using my index finger too. I also decided to use my pinky which is rather unusual. So I'm playing it with a one finger per string style, similar to classical guitar.
    If I were you I'd just look at how many is the most he uses at once and see if you need your pinky or not. I'd advise learning with it if your just starting with this style. It only took me about a week to get used to using my pinky :yesway:

10. 777_CHILLI_777

777_CHILLI_777 SS.org Regular

Is it worth subsribing to Jam Play to get his lessons??

11. glassmoon0fo

glassmoon0fo Some Say...

it's worth subscribing to Jamplay for a multitude of lessons, not just tosins (though his are the reason i tried it out). there are some pretty knowledgeable folks working for Jamplay, and if youre into more than just metal it'd be a pretty nice resource to have :yesway:

12. Jedi Pirate

Hmm yeah, for the part after the main intro, i use my pinky to play it, it just feels more comfortable, and makes sense in a way. I think I might try playing this song for the talent show at my high school on December 3rd. I'm trying to get as much advice as possible. if any of you have a video that could help me out, that would be awesome. I don't want to subscribe to jam play due to my brokeness :(

13. 777_CHILLI_777

777_CHILLI_777 SS.org Regular

Oh ok, excellent, i might give it a try then. I'm definately trying to learn some new stuff other than metal atm. Thanks man :yesway: