Omega-6 Screw Swap?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Noisy Humbucker, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Noisy Humbucker

Noisy Humbucker Red Handed Riff Raff

I like the Omega in my black korina Jazzmaster, but I’m not sure I love it. If I could just shift the tone ever so slightly to something more traditional without losing some of the Modern characteristics that would be ideal. Sort of like hitting a sweet spot between a Distortion-Custom-Omega, no shrill highs, nice mid growl and enough lows to give it a bit more girth. Maybe switch the hex screws to a slug/fillister combo?

Also thinking of trying to warm up the Jazz I’ve got in the neck- I think it goes well with the Omega but overall I still prefer the ‘59.

2. FitRocker33

FitRocker33 My tone is tighter than my hamstrings

Okay the OP here hit something I've been wondering lately....

What tonal difference occurs between using bolts and traditional slugs/ screws in pickups?

3. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire baritone6/8 string hoarder

Magnet swaps offer a more dramatic tonal shift. try an alnico8 in the omega (or an alnico5) and an alnico2 in the jazz. The alnico 8 should take some of the high end off and give it a bit more low end.
    From what I've read allen bolts= more focused/tighter with more bass/high end, filister screws= slightly less focused. Screw/bolt material and length apparently play a part as well, with longer screws giving more bass and magnetically conductive screws (ie iron or such) offering a brighter/clearer sound/stronger magnetic field. That being said, Tim at BKP says it's generally a pretty subtle change.

4. Noisy Humbucker

Subtlety is what I’m looking for, thanks for the feedback!

5. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

As KnightBrolaire mentioned, changing screws may help a little. However, a magnet swap is likely to give you something more dramatic.

My guess is that the ceramic in the Omega is a smaller ceramic magnet considering the overall output of the Omega. Thus, getting an A8 would likely give you a bigger sound, as would getting a larger ceramic magnet.

Alternatively, if you like the tonal character of the Omega and still want that 'modern-prog' sound but 'bigger/wider/larger' then I'd recommend trying out the Pegasus.

6. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire baritone6/8 string hoarder

or he could just throw an Alnico 5 in the omega and then it's essentially the pegasus. If he wants to keep the snarl, I'd say go with an a8.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  7. Noisy Humbucker

I wonder if popping slugs into the inner coil would screw up the threads, making it difficult to switch back to screws?