Old Periphery song with New Periphery sound - Icarus Lives!

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Daniel_V, May 26, 2017.

1. Daniel_V

Daniel_V FullCircle

Hey guys!
    So here's the deal.. I love Periphery. I've been following Misha from the Bulb days. And I admire their natural progression as a band, but most of all - I love Nolly's production style and the sounds he gets. I've spent 6-7 years now learning how to record, mix ext. , but the most I have ever learned was the past year or two. Watching every video, reading every tip, even stalking his ask.fm page. I always hated programmed drums. Always. That's why years ago I bought myself a drum kit just to practice tuning it, setting it up and ultimately recording it. And I'm no drummer. Some time ago I heard Nolly saying in a podcast that exact same thing. That's when I realized we have the same OCD/Perfectionist mindset. But my hate for programmed drums kinda ended with GGD (have in mind I have released whole albums with programmed drums and I still hate them.. nothing like real hard hitting drummer).

So what's the story with that cover? One of my favourite songs is Icarus Lives! From the day it came out. But after Juggernaut and especially Select Difficulty I fell in love with their new sound and production.. courtesy of master Nolly.
    And that was my goal - record every part like they do it nowadays, get the raw guitar and bass tones as close as possible and recreate the whole mix. For reference track I used Prayer Position from Select Difficulty. I already mixed the stems from Prayer Position, so it was quick getting similar sounds.
    Periphery were famous for heavily gating/ editing guitars and bass before, but as far as I know and hear in their new production, everything is played until its right and has the right amount of liveliness. And I always loved and used that technique (most instrumentalists hate me for that... especially drummers :D).

I think it turned out good. Maybe not 100% like the new stuff but hey... we all know that is technically impossible without the band playing in the same environment and especially Matt tracking with the same kit, in the same room, with the same mics and most of all - the same guy behind the screen - Nolly.

So here's the track. Hope you enjoy!

Main info is in the video itself and the description box below.
    For anything else - I would love to answer questions.

Cheers!

2. schwiz

schwiz Lefty

Cool track!

Daniel_V likes this.
  3. ZombieDank

ZombieDank SS.org Regular

Nice work man!

Daniel_V likes this.
  4. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger Contributor

Great work dude!!

Daniel_V likes this.
  5. Daniel_V

Daniel_V FullCircle

Thanks a lot, guys! I have a mix with the accapella from YouTube, but I think someone can sing it from scratch. Then it's gonna be a proper cover. Probably a video too..

Any suggestions?
    Who wants to sing over it?

6. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire tinkerer/aspiring builder/8 string hoarder

nice :yesway:

Daniel_V likes this.
  7. jerm

jerm SS.org Regular

Sounds great!

Daniel_V likes this.
  8. jerm

jerm SS.org Regular