Old mix I want to improve, looking for someone to critique the mix (pop/rock).

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by BillMurray, Nov 5, 2017.

1. BillMurray

BillMurray SS.org Regular

How's the mix? This is something I uploaded 2 years ago and forgot about it. This is where I left off before I stopped writing and recording. I'm getting back on it now though and would like to improve it.

https://soundcloud.com/billmurray-4/whoa-thats-english-for-stop-a-horse

Gear used:

Guitars: Pod HD
    Drums: Superior Drummer.

Thanks for reading.

Please excuse the guitars at 0.39 being out of time with one another.

2. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

Sounded pretty good to me! Though one thought I had was "it sounds too natural to be pop/rock" haha; at least compared to the really modern phoned-in stuff that's out there currently. I think what drove me to think that was the crash cymbal though -- it got a little overbearing at times. Despite using Superior Drummer, the drums sounded pretty real to me, perhaps too real for the genre. I would consider reducing the volume of the crash cymbal and/or removing some of the hits altogether so that it's used more sparingly.

But I'm far, far from an expert on the genre. I listen to and play extreme metal primarily.:lol:

3. BillMurray

BillMurray SS.org Regular

Thanks for your reply. I'm glad you think the drums sounded real. Yes, me neither, I would prefer to record more progressive metal/djent but I'm waiting to get new gear before I get back into that.

I will take your criticism into consideration.