Oil or matte natural finish?

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by kn1feparty, Jun 13, 2012.

1. kn1feparty

kn1feparty Guitarded

I'm gearing up to get sanding on my 7321, but am still undecided about what kind of finish I'm going to end up with on it. My first thought, and the reason I originally bought the guitar, was to do some kind of a figured walnut veneer on the top and a matching headstock, then staining the sides and back to match. But as I keep seeing more and more RG7 refinish threads, my mind wanders to other possibilities (most notably this one).

For the purposes of this thread, let's assume I'm going with the natural refinish. Can you use like a Krylon matte clear coat on this or is it better to just stick with a tung oil or similar oil finish? Or is there something else altogether that I don't know about?

2. NUTSguitarchannel

NUTSguitarchannel Teh 7 djentahh

in my opinion the matte natural finish would feel better but oil is easyer to apply

3. noobstix

noobstix SS.org Regular

That white RG7 turned out so well. With regards to the natural finish it really depends on what wood you get after sanding it down, if it's not knotted I've heard tung oil is great

4. patrickWLV

patrickWLV New Member

I'm attempting something like this too with an rg7421. I'm very intrigued by the walnut veneer idea...would like to learn more about that

5. butterschnapps

butterschnapps (´・ω・`)

I too am curious to this, I've got a 7321 I'd like to modify as well as a Septor 828 I've considered sanding down to have a natural look.

6. kn1feparty

kn1feparty Guitarded

This site has some truly gorgeous looking veneers, and was pretty much what sold me on that wood choice.

Linky