Oil or lacquer finish on this sapele?

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by failsafe, Oct 3, 2018.

Oil or lacquer?

1. Oil

5 vote(s)
    83.3%
  2. Clear nitro

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. failsafe

failsafe SS.org Regular

I’m in the planning stages for my next explorer build, and I’ve come across some nice qs sapele, that I plan on using for the body and neck. I’d like to have a natural finish on this one, and I can’t make up my mind if I want to do an oil finish with very little grain fill (danish most likely), or grain filled nitro lacquer.

Here is a pic of the wood in question.

1C6E8E3A-E9C2-485B-9F0E-6AAACC68377F.jpeg

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

What kind of upkeep are you good with? Are you worried about UV yellowing?

3. failsafe

failsafe SS.org Regular

Im definitely not one to fuss about cleaning or polishing my guitars on the regular. I have one stained and oiled guitar that seems to have held up pretty well, although I don’t gig with it. The explorer in my avatar is less than a year old, and already has its share of chips and swirls and whatnot. That being said, it is my main axe, and those long, sharp corners seem to find everything.

As far as UV, I’ve never really thought about it that much. Most older Gibson’s do seem to look pretty good as they age, although most of them have some sort of color shot on them, as opposed to a clear, natural finish.

4. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire self-appointed sso pickup tester

nitro takes longer to cure, cracks, and yellows over time ime. pain in the ass if you're not used to using it. oil is more user friendly but less protective. if durability/yellowing are issues, then use an auto poly like spraymax 2k.

aesthyrian and failsafe like this.
  5. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

In terms of finish I'd definitely go satin with grain texture coming through. Feels good on the hands. Whatever you use.

Hell, shellac it.

failsafe likes this.
  6. MoonJelly

MoonJelly a subtle stinging sensation..

Use tru-oil. For a cheapo product you can buy in the sporting goods section at Walmart, it comes out nicer than anything you can get your hands on less than $100. Keep applying coats and it will grain fill/go full gloss. Just stop when it looks level enough for your taste and wax/polish.

failsafe likes this.