OFR 7 String Guitars?

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by SalsaWood, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

This thread prompted me to order a new OFR 7 in black nickel, which should be a close color match to cosmo black, which is the appropriate hardware color for my PWH. So, there's that... :lol:

SalsaWood and cardinal like this.
  2. cardinal

cardinal SS.org Regular

Haha. It's making want to throw an OFR7 on my Apex200. I've been living with the Lo Pro, but this thread has started picking at me.

3. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

A LoPro Edge is a perfectly fine trem - I'd say an Edge/LoPro Edge, the Gotoh licensed Floyd, or an Original Floyd Rose are the three floating trems worth bothering with. Then again, I definitely plan on doing a test-fit in my RG752AHM before installing this in my UV, so I very well may end up buying another one for that guitar. :lol: The push-in arm holder (which I also ordered for this bridge) is hands down the best trem arm holder I've ever used.

4. cardinal

cardinal SS.org Regular

Different strokes! I never liked the push-in arm; I prefer the Floyd arms with the screw collar. And the brighter Floyd tone. And the suuuuper heavy big tungsten blocks for the OFR.

The Lo Pro isn't bad, but it's just not my fav. I do like the locking studs. Those seem like a great idea.

5. SalsaWood

SalsaWood SS.org Regular

That actually reminds me that I need to get a tone block for mine. The D'Activator currently in the bridge doesn't really provide amazing sustain in any case, I also need to sort out a change there as well.

6. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd Dread-I Master Contributor

If you get that soloist lemme know how it is. I have the black one and I love it. I imagine they'll be similar but hopefully the qc was stepped up. Mine plays flawlessly but the binding has some discoloration. I kept it bc it plays so well and didn't wanna get back a pretty dud. :lol:

7. SalsaWood

SalsaWood SS.org Regular

That's surprising to hear for me, I've never had a Jackson over $1k that had any flaws. A friend had an SLSMG that sticks out in my mind as one of the best guitars I have ever played regardless of price. I think they have the best paint finishes in the business and the playability is just about the best a compound radius player could ask for, so if they are screwing up here and there something must have changed.

8. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Yes, but I’m hoping to keep at least one of my kidneys.

At any rate, good to see some Floyd love!

9. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

I had an apple horn 8 for a while, they have huge fat necks which is not super comfortable on an 8-string IMO

10. maggotspawn

maggotspawn SS.org Regular

I put a couple of OFR 7's on my RG7420's. Kind of a must have on these guitars, as the LO TRS trems are total pieces of garbage.

11. odibrom

odibrom .

A little off topic here, I found that the DA7's suck the tone out of the strings if they are too close to them. They have a huge string pull so they need to be further back than "regular" DiMarzios, this to make them more colored. If the pickup route isn't deep enough (my case), swap them out of there (I did that, new life for the guitar)...

As for the thread, I can't offer any help, sorry...

12. SalsaWood

SalsaWood SS.org Regular

I will give that a shot. I actually hadn't thought of it and just kinda figured that's how they are. If I have to swap it's not the end of the world, but I do like the DActivators a lot otherwise.

13. odibrom

odibrom .

14. HaloHat

HaloHat 7 string Baritones

Original Jeff Loomis sig?