OFR 7 String Guitars?

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by SalsaWood, Sep 19, 2017.

1. SalsaWood

SalsaWood SS.org Regular

I've been keeping an eye open for a 7 string with an OFR system. I've seen a ton of FR Special 7's, but few Original Floyd Rose 7's. I'm curious if an OFR 7 bridge could be swapped into a guitar that came with some other 7 string FR system.

I know of the JB207C that has the OFR 7, I have one and love it, but variety is always nice. There's got to be more than that though, maybe a Jackson USA model I missed? Any wisdom is appreciated.

2. angl2k

angl2k SS.org Regular

E-II Horizon FR-7
    E-II Arrow 7
    E-II EV-7
    E-II JL-7
    E-II MR-Seven
    Jackson KV7
    Jackson USA Chris Broderick Soloist 7
    Jackson USA Dave Davidson Warrior 7
    Mayones Regius Pro 7
    Ibanez Prestiges come with high end tremolos but not OFR or licensed OFR

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
    Mathemagician and SalsaWood like this.
  3. cardinal

cardinal SS.org Regular

The recent Floyd Rose versions should be interchangeable. The posts/bushing might be different but I doubt those will matter.

4. SalsaWood

SalsaWood SS.org Regular

Thanks guys, that's actually very helpful.

5. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd Dread-I Master Contributor

The x000 series isn't bad either. I usually just swap arm for the German version. They seem to stay put a little better for me.

Not sure if you're only going for a certain tier guitar though. The Jackson SL7 is pretty sweet too but it's and Indonesia pro series axe.

I see you called out USA Jacksons but it entirely sure what you're into.

6. SalsaWood

SalsaWood SS.org Regular

I'm just looking for anything really. I'd like a mid-range guitar to keep out for playing because my higher end guitars stay in their cases. I have found out it's more about what you want in specs than in price— things like scale, frets, controls, string spacing, and radius. Jackson has the most of what I'm looking for, but most of their models come with the FR Special.

I was looking at the Pro SL7Q specifically, the other Jackson's in that range fitted with FR trems don't seem to have gloss finishes on the body.

Konfyouzd and Mathemagician like this.
  7. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

used prestige!!

8. cardinal

cardinal SS.org Regular

I'm looking forward to the SL7Q as well. The color is a bit off putting, but I like the Soloist shape and reverse head, so I might be able to live with it. Will need to see them in actual photos/in person, I think. The upcoming natural DK7 looks nice too (the one without the CITES nightmare rosewood laminate top).

9. SalsaWood

SalsaWood SS.org Regular

Haha, I actually really like the color, but like you say we'll have to see them in more pictures or in person first. I agree on the DK7, though I don't like the idea of an Okoume body and maple neck personally.

10. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I have a UV7PWH that shipped with a LoPro Edge, that I've swapped for an OFR. It took minimal modification - just a tiny bit of sanding on the edge of the treble side of the trem route. I'm using it on the stock Edge locking studs, though.

11. cardinal

cardinal SS.org Regular

^ I've put OFR7 on Ibanez guitars too. I lightly sand the baseplate to fit the Lo Pro route, but sanding the side of the route works too.

OFR7 fits the Edge Pro route if you get short saddle locking bolts. The stock bolts are too long. I can't remember if the baseplate also needs to be shaved a touch.

OFR7 will NOT fit any Ibanez with an Edge Zero. The stud spacing is not right. You'd have to pull the bushings, fill the holes, and redrill.

12. CrazyDean

CrazyDean SS.org Regular

HERESY!

13. mastapimp

mastapimp SS.org Regular

I have a few of the guitars you mention and the Broderick has a Floyd, but it's a lower profile "Pro" version (not OFR). The Davidson does have the original Floyd.

14. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Eh, the LoPro was flaking away to nothing (the guitar was abused by a prior member), and an OFR7 was a LOT cheaper than any replacement LoPro Edge 7 I found online. I'm happy with the performance, though, especially with the new push in arm holders.

15. SalsaWood

SalsaWood SS.org Regular

In that case, I might consider the Ibanez S5527 which has the LoPro Edge 7. Were you able to retain the playability after the swap? I take it the FR Pro (low profile OFR) wouldn't have worked instead?

16. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

A better question (for me, anyway), is why is it easier to find a three legged ballerina than a Floyd 8 string these days? :scratch:

17. mastapimp

mastapimp SS.org Regular

Caparison Apple Horn 8

18. cardinal

cardinal SS.org Regular

I prefer OFR to any of the Ibanez trems. I've swapped an OFR onto an old UV7BK and an RG8127. Both played and sounded better to me after the swap. I just prefer the way the Floyd feels, and it sounds "snappier" and brighter than the Ibanez trems IMHO.

19. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

The biggest playability difference was the OFR7 has, I believe, a 20" radius, while the Ibanez neck is a 16". It took a little bit of shimming of the middle saddles, I believe with aluminum foil, before I got it dialed in right, but even right out of the box it was pretty playable. I don't think Floyd makes a FR Pro 7, but if they do, they didn't back then.

Only thing I'll add is I don't know how much the route has changed from a '91 UV7PWH to whenever the 5527 was made. It may take more significant modifications these days, since the PWH was routed for an original Edge, which is fairly close to an OFR.

With the obvious "different strokes for different folks" caveat, this was my experience too; the OFR7 was a little brighter on the attack than the LoPro Edge. I assume this is due to construction, and that the body of the Edge is made from more, softer metal while the OFR is stamped stainless steel. I'm hesitant to say "better" since that's a subjective call, but it was definitely audibly different. The Edge was middier, the OFR was snappier.

SalsaWood and cardinal like this.
  20. mastapimp

mastapimp SS.org Regular

They do make a Pro 7 and it comes standard on the USA broderick soloist. However, the broderick has a 12" radius across the entire neck and the saddles are adjusted for this, at least on this particular guitar model (caused production delays on the original release)