Official What Are You Reading Thread:

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by Chris, Jan 3, 2006.

1. cult

cult SS.org Regular

Just finished Metro 2034, started "The Man in the High Castle" by Philip K. Dick.
    Great thus far, will probably finish it by the end of the week as I still have some National Geographic magazines at hand which I haven't even touched.

2. FEcorvus

FEcorvus SS.org Regular

rereading snow crash by Neal Stephenson since I haven't read it in about 3 years

edit: I posted before looking at the other posts and saw you Ralyks. good book, fun stuff

3. Beowulf Von Thrashmeister

Beowulf Von Thrashmeister SS.org Regular

At the moment I`am reading ...

`Aristotle ` by WD Ross

I found this book in an old second hand book shop , amongst some other really cool books (one was a book on Cleopatra, the other was `The Struggle For Greece` by Herodotus).

It was written and published back in 1923, and it is about the life and works of the ancient Greek Philosopher Aristotle (who was once a student of Plato).

This is a really interesting book so far. :)

lelandbowman3, I shall definatly add the book you mentioned to my shopping list, thanks for the heads up !!!. :)

4. shredfreak

shredfreak SS.org Regular

Finally got my greedy paws on Clive Barkers The scarlet gospels so that'll be on the reading bench of the next few days.

5. Zalbu

Zalbu More time than skill

Just finished reading Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami, years after buying it, next up is Män Som Hatar Kvinnor (The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo) by Stieg Larsson. Still have no idea why they changed the Swedish title from Men Who Hates Women to that. :scratch:

6. BrailleDecibel

BrailleDecibel K-U-N-fusion!

Getting into "It" by Stephen King...I've read it before, but it's been awhile, and his books are always good for some entertainment.

7. Noisy Humbucker

Noisy Humbucker Red Handed Riff Raff

Mere Christianity - C.S. Lewis.

8. Blytheryn

Blytheryn Musical Adam West

Just picked up Fighter Pilot, about Robin Olds... So good.

9. big_aug

big_aug SS.org Regular

Finishing up book three of A Song of Ice and Fire. I'm not a huge reader, but I'm hoping to have all of them done before the new season of Game of Thrones.

10. Furtive Glance

Furtive Glance "Snaaaake!!!"

Just bought a ....ton of books. I read through the 2nd and 3rd Blacksad graphic novels today (these are great) and started A Random Walk Down Wall Street.

11. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

Currently reading Red Dragon.

12. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins Contributor

Some good recommendations! I particularly loved "A People's History" by Zinn.

A couple others I enjoyed:

Lies My Teacher Told Me - Jim Lowen
    Looming Tower - Lawrence Wright (one of my fav authors! He also wrote a great book on Scientology that was turned into an HBO doc too)
    Intelligence Matters by Senator Bob Graham
    Power, Faith, and Fantasy: America in the Middle East, 1776 to the Present - by Oren

Similarly, have you watched Untold History by Oliver Stone (Netflix)? Features lots of unheralded American Heroes like Henry Wallace and Smedley Butler (for his post war career).

13. Jeesan

Jeesan Regular

How did you like it?

I keep coming across Neal Stephenson when looking to delve into sci-fi novels. Anybody else have any thoughts on his books?

What about dark fantasy novels? What's a good book that takes you to a different place similar to where black metal takes you? I suppose alternative reality, post apocalyptic, dark/horror.

Been reading for awhile, but really haven't read much darker/fantasy novels.

edit: while im not much of a gamer, I really enjoyed Undying and Metro 2033. I don't know if there are story books that mimic the atmosphere/mood in those games.