Official What Are You Reading Thread:

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by Chris, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Chris

Chris metalguitarist.org Forum MVP

For those of you that can read. :agreed:

I just finished:

State of Fear by Michael Crichton. Loved it, total page-turner, never a slow moment, cool plot and tons of actual facts about global warming worked into the storyline. Highly recommended.

:yesway: :yesway: :yesway: :yesway: / 5

Prior to that, I picked up:

Whiteout, by Ken Follett, an author I'd never heard of. To be honest, I was in the market for something to read since I'd finished up something the night before and read about 2 hours a night before I go to bed every night. Really good book, cool story, more nifty-science-facts mixed into it and an all around solid read.

:yesway: :yesway: :yesway: :yesway: / 5 for this one as well.

SenorDingDong, Evergrey and ry_z like this.
  2. Shannon

Shannon Lord Super Awesome Contributor

I recently checked out "Rock N Roll Gearhead" by Billy F Gibbons (ZZ Top). Cars and guitars = awesome.

3. Chris

4. The Dark Wolf

The Dark Wolf Contributor

I'm reading-

FICTION
    'River of Blue Fire', by Tad Williams. Book 2 in his 'Otherland' series. A series of 4 books set in the near future where a huge, incredibly realistic Virtual Reality network is contructed, so that the creators, who somehow steal the minds of children to ... feed... the VR network's sentient AI Operating system, may live forever in a completely realistic simulated world. Awesome. Like a modern, epic, cyber Alice in Wonderland-meets-The Wizard of Oz-meets-TLotR.

I'm also reading 'The Young Caesar', by Rex Warner. And I'm reading book one of 'The Complete Calvin and Hobbes', by Bill Watterson- a Christmas present from my fiance. EVERY C&H strip, all collected into a beautiful hardbound collectors edition.

NON-FICTION
    I'm also reading 'Economic Literacy: What Everyone Needs to Know About Money and Markets', by Jacob DeRooy; 'Out of Eden: An Odyssey of Ecological Invasion', by Alan Burdick (a book about how non-native species of plants and animals get brought into new areas, and wreak havoc on the local ecosystem there, typically through human accident or misplanning); and 'A+ Certification for Dummies', by Ron Gilster.

5. Vegetta

Vegetta SS.org Regular

Here is a list of the better stuff i read last year:

China Mieville - Perdido Street Station, The Scar, Iron Council
    Nice dystopia here excellent characters and great plot highly reccomended

Neal Stephenson The Baroque Cycle - Quicksilver, The Confusion, System of the World

Ouststanding historical fantasy very long but well worth the read.

6. Chris

If you're at all into new age thinkings/indian philosophy and hell, books about a guy on peyote absorbing native american culture written by a gentleman that can write like a motherfucker:

Read Carlos Castenada's Don Juan Series

They're abso-fucking-lutely astounding.

7. Chris

8. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I'm in the middle of re-reading Fyodor Dostoeyvsky's "Crime and Punishment." It's a seriously mentally disturbing book, I read it right after "Notes from Underground" while in college, and by the time I was finished with this one I found myself becoming indrawn and distrustful and not really talking to people. It completely draws you into its world. And, Svidrigalov is probably the greatest tragic villian in the entire world literary canon.

Prior to that, Vonnegut's "A Man Without a Nation," a short nonfiction work (i hesitate to call it a collection of essays, but I don't know what else fits) I got for christmas. Fascinating read.

Immediately before that, David Foster Wallace's new essay collection "Consider the Lobster," which was also excellent.

9. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Here I will also insert my stock exhortation for the readers on the board to read David Foster Wallace's "Infinite Jest" and Thomas Pynchon's "Gravity's Rainbow," and the non-readers to read Joseph Heller's "Catch-22."

Robrecht likes this.
  10. eaeolian

eaeolian Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore! Super Moderator

11. Metal Ken

Metal Ken Hates the Air Contributor

Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk

FUCKED UP Book. Pretty enjoyable read. Read it all in like, 2 sittings total (its almost 300 pages).

I've been meaning to read more of the Crowley books i've recently acquired as well...

12. Roland777

Roland777 SS.org Regular

The Karamazov Brothers, by Fjodor Dostojevskij.

Quite entertaining, eventhough Dostojevskij is reknowned for running in circles around his readers with ludicrous amounts of details.

I can highly recommend Digital Fortress by Dan Brown. I read the book in 5 days, the number of pages read in each day grew exponentially. Tremendously addictive book - pick it up, read it and PLEASE do comment on what you thought about it!

13. giannifive

giannifive Occasional Poster Contributor

I'm reading "Notes From a Small Island" now by Bill Bryson. As a travelogue about the UK it's a pretty entertaining read for an American.

Before that I read "A Devil's Chaplain" by Richard Dawkins. Great book for getting one thinking critically about science. With the exception of the chapters of book reviews and forewords it's also fun to read.

Admittedly I'm not a fan of fiction. The only fiction I seem to like is Vonnegut, but I think that's because it's more a vehicle for portraying his mental condition.

14. Regor

Regor Double Edge FTW Contributor

This thread.

/me can't believe nobody said it yet.

15. garcia3441

garcia3441 Tone Whore Contributor

I iz frum Arkansaw, an I ain't leanrt how to reed yet.

16. Naren

Naren OldschoolGhettostyle

The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky (as it's called in England and the US) is one of my all-time favorite books ever. Dostoyevsky possibly may be my favorite author. The first time I read "The Brothers Karamazov", I read it in 2 weeks (like 200 pages in the first week and 800 in the second week).

Right now I'm reading Kyuuketsuki Hantaa D by Kikuchi Hideyuki. It's about vampires in the future. I haven't read a novel in English in about 8 months now (although I've read lots of Lovecraft short stories)... I finished reading "Nejimakidori Kuronikuru" by Murakami Haruki about 2 months ago. That was a bizarre and interesting book (actually 3 seperate books, but one novel. A total of over 1,100 pages).

17. giannifive

giannifive Occasional Poster Contributor

I'm not sure which one that is. Do you know the English title? I loved "Hard-Boiled Wonderland". That book is so odd you have to read it twice!

18. Shawn

Shawn Ibanez Guitars Forum MVP

:agreed:Shannon, I finally checked this book out too recently -very cool book. ZZ Top=:yesway:

19. mazafaka

mazafaka Relentless Bastard

I am currently reading "The End of Faith" by Sam Harris, which is a very worthwhile read. It will certainly not be to everyone's taste, though, as it delves into the problems with all forms of religion and all beliefs that are not based on evidence. Also, I think I have a pretty extensive vocabulary, but I have to look up words in this book on a pretty regular basis.

So while it's not an "easy" read, it's definitely worth your time, especially if you have an opposing viewpoint.

Amazon page for the book

20. nitelightboy

nitelightboy I poop in shoes. Contributor

I'm reading CLive Barker's The Books Of Blood for like the 50th time. Some of the best horror short stories I've ever read!!