Official Daemoness Guitars Thread

Discussion in 'Dealers & Group Buys' started by Joe Harvatt, Jan 9, 2014.

1. rifftrauma

rifftrauma Trapped in time...

Has anyone asked Dylan if he's considered implementing Strandberg's endurneck profile into a build? Kinda feel like a dick since his proprietary work is amazing but color me curious...

2. UnderTheSign

UnderTheSign SS.org Regular

Don't see how asking him that would make you a dick. Stuff like the neck profile can affect playability of an instrument (to you) so it's pretty reasonable to ask for a profile you like, right?

3. asfeir

asfeir SS.org Regular

On the website, he says that he has 2 neck profiles, but he's ready to build a neck that suits the client's taste so I suppose it's possible

4. Thorerges

Thorerges SS.org Regular

I would like to e-mail Dylan to ask him when he thinks the current wait times will change. I am really, really wanting to put in a deposit for at least one guitar. I can wait a year, but 24 months (assuming all variables remain constant) is a little too much.

5. asfeir

asfeir SS.org Regular

If he tells you that in a year the waiting list will go down to 1 year wait what's the difference?

6. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Probably the deposit. I'm the same way. These days I worry every month after I've paid my deposit that the luthier will go belly up, head for the border, wind up in the hospital, be abducted by aliens, and other things that I would not have worried about had I not been burned by luthiers who were super good and dependable - until they weren't.

7. Thorerges

Thorerges SS.org Regular

Huge difference. If a luthier tells you he needs 24 months - a lot changes in that time. He might move shop (again, which I know affects wait times) and you might end up getting the guitar 6 - 8 months after. There is no contract, there is absolutely nothing to guarantee anything besides his word. Daemoness have an extremely high reputation at this point, and they will eventually want to start accepting more and more deposits, which would necessitate expansion, who knows.

I could wait 16 months for a guitar, but over that - it's a commitment i am not willing to make, especially given the fact that luthiers might be exceptionally talented, but are highly self reliant.

8. Thorerges

Thorerges SS.org Regular

Exactly, I don't doubt the integrity of Daemoness at all, everyone tells me Dylan is an unbelievable professional; but you can only depend on someone so much, and giving that much money into a guitar is difficult if you're going to wait so long.

9. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Then it sounds like buying one of the "off-the-peg" is the better option for you. Otherwise, I don't know what you're really asking for - it's unlikely wait times are going to magically halve themselves, and if they do, it's probably for a reason that would make me rethink a deposit at all, i.e., shoddy build quality.

Luthiers going belly-up, neglecting builds and disappearing altogether is not the status quo. It is not something that should render you a deer in the headlights, nervously jolting back and forth on whether to place a deposit or not. It is not very common for luthiers with an established history to start floundering. It is perhaps a bit more common on sso, where everyone seems to want some dream custom but is only willing to pay $1800 and will seek out new unestablished talent to get it ::cough:: acacia, strictly7, halo, sims ::cough::

10. Thorerges

Thorerges SS.org Regular

Not really. A 2 year wait is a pretty long wait, I would put in a deposit if the waiting period was 1 - 1.5 years, which is actually what Dylan is aiming for, according to his site. 1 year is perfectly reasonable, and his prices are reasonable but 2 years? Maybe. Who knows.

11. Hollowway

Yeah, it might be true that the number of luthiers who deliver quality instruments in a timely fashion is the norm. But I have a history of getting the shaft on 4 customs from 3 different luthiers arriving with major problems that required fixing or rebuilding by another luthier. One guitar that will likely never show up (Rico), and 3 that took (are taking) at least one year longer than originally quoted. So while the norm may be to get a quality instrument, I have 5 luthiers who have either strung me along or outright screwed my money. And we can throw in one amp maker, too. For me, that's like getting married 5 times only to be divorced, and then having a friend tell me, "No, most girls won't do that, go ahead and get married a 6th time." It's just reeeeallly hard to convince my mind that, "this time it will be different."

Also, let's put together a quick list of people who have screwed customers over, as per what people have posted on here:

Roter
    Sims
    Rico
    S7
    Halo
    Etherial
    Sherman
    Brutalizer
    Aura
    Acacia
    Invictus
    Vik

Now for a list of luthiers that I can think of that would build me an 8 string, and have stellar reputations:
    Daemoness
    KxK
    Skervesen
    OAF/XEN
    Blackwater
    Strandberg
    Ormsby
    Ran
    Oni
    Searls
    TK

Obviously there are going to be more (on both lists). My point is that there is a disturbingly high number of luthiers who, according to people on here, have shafted them. So while it may not be the "norm," if you want to order an ERG, you're inevitably going to come across one of the bad guys in your research.

I will also say that I challenge anyone to have been able to predict the demise of Rico and Sherman. They are two of the biggest violators of this in that they haven't delivered the guitars they were paid for. So while they may be exceptions to the rule, it would still make one give pause when paying $4000 for a custom.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm just so fed up with these unethical luthiers getting away with what is essentially stealing money.

I will totally agree with you, though, that "off the peg" options are good. I regularly check for those from the respected luthiers. Problem is the good guys are so busy they rarely put up in-stock items.

BlackStar7 likes this.
  12. narad

narad SS.org Regular

It's long in terms of all the things you could do in 2 years, but it's not an exorbitant amount of time for a custom guitar. Very few companies build significantly faster with a similarly-sized staff.

There's only a few ways to shrink the waitlist: customers lose interest, prices go up, or more apprentices are taken on. I don't see any of these things happening in the short term so I don't what to tell you besides, you know...have fun posting wishy-washy sentiments about wait lists while we're busy playing Daemoness guitars.

Just seems like a really weird position to take IMO. If someone can steal your money in 24 months, they can steal it in 18. If someone is going to go belly-up in 24 months, they could just as easily do it in 18.

13. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Ha, yes, you are a bit of a "canary in the coal mine" in that respect. Hollowway just put in a new deposit? Everybody out!!

But honestly, on your list of luthiers who have screwed people over...not a single one ever had a well-established reputation, with the exception of BRJ, who has some mental quirkiness that many people knew about. There's even many on your 8-string list that are still rather new on the scene and who I wouldn't send money to. The first step to not getting screwed and not waiting longer than quoted is ordering from someone who has been doing it long enough to have (1) not flaked out earlier, and (2) have a better sense of how long it will actually take them. To me, Dylan's past the threshold on this, and he's the only guy I currently have an order with who seems on track to complete it around the approximate deadline.

14. Hollowway

Yeah, I am definitely guilty of sending money to people who didn't have established reputations. I (like many people on here, I suspect) didn't do much research outside of SSO, and came in with rose colored glasses.

And lol at the "Everybody out!" It reminds me of when I'm watching a ball game, and I walk away and they start doing really well. So I'm like, "Eff it, I'm the factor!" and turn off the TV so they can win. :lol:

15. AxeHappy

AxeHappy SS.org Regular

There are also plenty of luthiers who will make whatever you want with years and decades of perfect reputation to go on.

I'm assuming we don't hear about most of them on SS because they charge what a truly one of a kind master instrument is worth.

16. UnderTheSign

UnderTheSign SS.org Regular

Or they've been around too long to still be cool and worthy of hype :lol:

17. rifftrauma

rifftrauma Trapped in time...

What no one want's a $15,000 Blackmachine?:lol:

18. IbanezDaemon

IbanezDaemon Raptus regaliter

19. Thorerges

Thorerges SS.org Regular

It's not really about stealing money or anything like that - its that circumstances change in 2 years. I don't know if you're a musician or touring artist, but I'm not - I'm a scientist - so my circumstances probably differ to yours by a fair amount.

Anyways, my dream guitar is based off one of his earlier designs, the antichrist but in cimmerian shape. Ever since i saw that thing, I have wanted one as my tribute to metal and a piece of human history. I will get one, question is when.

20. MAJ Meadows SF

MAJ Meadows SF on a tone quest

All hail old school Floridian Death Metal :mf666:
    2 years is a bit of a wait, and lots of us are really apprehensive regarding the recent years of luthier epic fails, broken promises, and what not. Having owned 2 Daemoness (second hand of course) I'll contend it's worth the wait, especially the amazing process and discussion Dylan shares in regards to crafting your vision, and making it metal as f*ck. Hopefully the waits will shorten. For what he offers, to me, it's completely worth the wait and part of this is that Dylan still keeps a pretty good line of communication despite the masses of contact he recieves daily. I'm over my quoted wait time from late 2011/early 2012 (I forget exactly when the deposit was sent, from the Gates of Jihad) but we have waited on the Schaller Haines 7 bridge, completely changed the body design, as well as Dylan suggesting use of the holofleck finish as seen on the World Edge Storm. It's actually dynamic: the sizes of the holoflecks can be changed or varied, the density thickened or thinned, and applied on specific spots in different intensities. I guess everyone can figure that out, but just to be clear, there it is. A horrific Valkenbyrd 7 from from a portal to outside our universe deep within the cosmos is forthcoming :evil::evil::evil:

I'll leave this here for now. I don't own the (Narad's originally) Jormungandr Atlantean 7 anymore, but it's safely in metal hands crafting blackened death in the midwestern USA, and the new owner is blown away. I had too much Cimmerian GAS to pass up the Crusader Cimmerian, as I'm dubbing it. I'll share more in the seven string threads and do a proper NGD too. Both of these are stunning instruments, tonefully massive, and insanely playable, easily better (imao) than any stock big brand, and in the ballpark of my KxK. And he's getting better? :agreed:

[​IMG]