Official Daemoness Guitars Thread

Discussion in 'Dealers & Group Buys' started by Joe Harvatt, Jan 9, 2014.

1. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire grossly incandescent

so waghorn or padalka basically lol

2. Mechanos71

Mechanos71 SS.org Regular

I think its less about being a loud mouth and more about people being able to relate. I don't think these guys are trying to censor Dylan as much as they just don't vibe with his perspective. At the end of the day Daemoness is a brand and its customers have to at least somewhat identify with it. I think that is the struggle for guys like Watty, they appreciate the art but they don't identify with Dylan or Daemoness. I think to Narad's point if you don't identify with Daemoness then you shouldn't buy one. This is feasible in theory but I think it may be difficult for the guys who are really tempted to buy one but have reservations about the brand.

Again I don't feel this way. I appreciate Dylan's passion for what it is. I think we need more passionate people (in both in type person and degree of passion).

3. Danukenator

Danukenator Kane's Bane

To address parts of what Narad said, I personally don't feel this way towards Daemoness. I was just trying to describe the thought process of someone that might.

I do need to be clear, no where did I indicate Dylan should change. I think asking someone with true passion for their hobby or job to tone it done is simply sinful. My point is about how it may be hard for a customer to connect with that perspective. Mechanos put it quite well.

Some people have trouble consuming a product they like if it is associated with beliefs they don't gel with. I'm personally not one except for truly extreme cases (eg. Varg and Burzums music).

4. Sermo Lupi

Sermo Lupi SS.org Regular

I like Dylan, so I've got no dog in this fight. You do seem to be missing the mark a bit, however.

The comment that kicked this off was a criticism of Dylan's enthusiasm for metal, which is incidental to the guitars he builds as far as the buyer is concerned. In your analogy, it's less about the vegan couple coming into the butcher shop looking for a salad, and more about them being put off by how much delight the butcher gets by slaughtering animals and his tendency to overshare this with his customers. Maybe these people aren't vegan at all, but rather the type to look for groceries without any desire to peak behind the curtain at the abattoir--whatever their reasons, the point is that their objection to the butcher's behaviour doesn't make them any less passionate about a quality steak.

More to the point, 'metal' has a lot of subgenres within it, a lot of fans who support it, and not all of them are going to be into the same kinds of imagery or the over-the-top delivery that is part and parcel with some types of metal. So on that point I disagree...for example, Cannibal Corpse's album covers have been controversial within the metal genre (let alone outside of it) for ages, and there's absolutely people out there who are passionate about metal music and culture that find those album covers grotesque or cliche. Likewise, there's people out there who like black metal but disagree with the extremist views of various black metal musicians. Or people who like Slayer or Motorhead that object to their use of Nazi imagery on their guitars, promotion materials, and so on. We've seen many discussions about those topics on this forum over the years, so even within this community it is clear there's disagreement about these things. People are no more married to a particular variety of metal 'imagery and over-the-top delivery' (as you've put it) than metal itself is; metal and its fans are anything but homogenous.

As for how this relates to Dylan, I realise you're saying that his artistry comes from this passion he has for metal, and I do believe that to be true, but it's also possible to imagine the existence of a luthier that is equally talented but less outspoken. I agree that it's a pointless criticism insofar as Dylan won't change his behavior or his art for the critics (and why should he?), but I can see why some people would be put off by his views of metal, art, or whatever else.

Anyway, for my own part I'm a big fan of what Dylan does. It's nice to see a young guy setting such exacting standards for his artistry, yet remain completely in touch with his influences. You could never call him inauthentic, whatever your opinion of his views on metal, and it's nice to see someone with such drive and conviction. It's the sincerest form of professionalism in a very different sense of the word as it's popularly used today; Dylan lives for what he does, and I think that's something that can be respected by anyone.

5. Danukenator

Danukenator Kane's Bane

:yesway:

To bring the discussion back towards the actual guitars; can someone remind me what types of filler Dylan uses in some of his inlays. I know the answer is somewhere in this thread but I'd like to avoid sifting through the whole thing.

6. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire grossly incandescent

I've seen him use aluminum powders and resins. can't think of any others off the top of my head.

7. Blytheryn

Blytheryn Torching Thrones in the Black of Winter

I do think he uses a lot of resins on the newer builds. That's at least what my inlay is going to consist of.

8. Mechanos71

Wolf helm inlay has aluminum, brass, gold, mother of pearl and Tahiti pearl. As the guys have said some guitars like summoner have resin inlays and some guitars like the bogoak twins are inlaid with different woods. Basically Dylan has a diverse inlay palatte

9. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Sure, you can make a better analogy -- that was just a real news story with some similar vibes.

Sure, but my point is: if it puts you off, you have other options than to come into the Daemoness thread and basically say, "what gives?" It is what it is. A lot of us like it particularly for what it is. And if you don't, get a Jackson.

10. 7sevenstring7

7sevenstring7 Banned

11. Mechanos71

Most classy Daemoness ever.

12. narad

narad SS.org Regular

I take offence to that, but it is really nice. It reminds me of those old ESP horizons that had the slanted single coil in the neck position. Really cool specs in this batch -- they seem not as themed.

13. Blytheryn

*Ahem*

[​IMG]

A seafoam Cimmerian?? Wicked. Just hoping our ESP E-II batch comes out similar to this!

14. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Yea, exactly! Forgot that they weren't slanted. Guess I'm mixing up the Kiko Loureiro with that, but hmm...that's a thought...

15. Blytheryn

I think some were and some weren't. Didn't Mirages have slanted neck PU's?

16. narad

narad SS.org Regular

There we are:

[​IMG]

17. IbanezDaemon

IbanezDaemon Raptus regaliter

Not often you see a solid colour finish Daemoness but that is killer!!

18. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger Contributor

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i really like how this turned out!

19. Blytheryn

Damn, does that look good! I'm going to need some Kleenex...brb.

20. IbanezDaemon

IbanezDaemon Raptus regaliter

Gorgeous Cimmerian Baritone 7! Proof that a truly great looking
    Daemoness guitar can exist without a body art or inlay concept.
    Please check and subscribe to the Daemoness FB page to see more
    pics of this beauty...great to see a builder take such close up pics of
    their craft with a high resolution lens...supreme confidence!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]