Official Axe-Fx Q&A thread!

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by JohnIce, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

Yeah, since you are using a tube poweramp this wouldn't be as noticeable. You are already getting that impedance/resonance/negative feedback interaction because of the tubes. However, you don't get that with solid state poweramps, so I notice something is quite a bit different using my Matrix GT1000FX.

I typically use Recto 1 Red, or 5153 Red.

2. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Just wondering; what cabs or impulses are you guys using?

Just kinda curious to see what's being used. I've been using the Lolzgreg Recto V30 cab for years and years now, but I'm thinking of trying something different. Want something with more midrange.

Been debating on getting the Ownhammer Heavy hitters V1 pack.

3. Rich5150

Rich5150 SS.org Regular

I bought a bunch of the Ownhammer & Axe FX cab packs, I like the Ownhammer packs more. Ive does a couple of cab lab mixes of them and they are my main go to cabs I really dig the Recto 4x12 v60 & v70 cab.

4. HeHasTheJazzHands

The clips of the Ownhammer sets sound killer. I tried the ML Bulbzilla and I'm not too impressed.

5. HeHasTheJazzHands

Shit forgot to ask :lol:

Did you use the Heavy Hitters pack, the 412 RECTO, or the 412 MES ST free cab?

6. Rich5150

Rich5150 SS.org Regular

Although i respect the effort that they put into the ML cabs i haven't gotten along with any of them yet.

I have both heavy hitters packs(the Zilla cabs are much better in the HHC-II) the Cali Duo and a bunch of the Marshal packs as well.

HeHasTheJazzHands likes this.
  7. Elric

Elric SS.org Regular

The Marshall OH packs are my favorite. There is one that is like the UK Cab collection and then there one that uses an old 2x12 called the Marshall Speaker Collection or something and those are my goto packs. The 2x12 pack probably the 'desert island' cab pack for me. I like the Oranges and Bogner too. I have struggled with the ML packs to find IRs I really looove.

8. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

I have the Heavy hitter pack, but in the end what I endup using are two stock cabs0... I think. It took me a long time to filter everything down to what I like.

9. Paincakes

Paincakes SS.org Regular

Hi all! I'm considering an Axe FX II XL+ since they seemed to have gone down in price since the III was announced. This is a big thread, and I'm sure the topic has been beaten to death here and there, so forgive me for my ignorance.

Questions:
    • What is the best way to run the Axe FX II through a standard guitar cab (not FRFR)? I guess I'm looking for power amp recommendations.
    • I assume the speaker IR and mic emulation can be disabled and fed to a power amp then into a guitar cab?
    • Is this application common, and most importantly, does it feel like an "amp in the room"?
    Most posts, people suggest getting a "nice FRFR" cab (I love how without fail, it's always mentioned that it has to be a "nice" one... :p). Let's say I'm not a fan of FRFR, is running through a normal guitar cab a realistic idea?

10. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I use a Matrix GT1000FX. That is probably the most recommended solid state poweramp that people use wit the Axe. It has a nice feel to it that many solid state poweramps dont have.

Yes, you can turn off the cab block, delete it, or run it through output 1, while not running it through output 2 so you can run that into your poweramp/cab. That is how most of my presets are set up, so I can either play through headphones/monitors, or poweramp /cab with output 1 going to my monitors, and output 2 going to my Matrix.

I would say it is fairly common. Many people like to run it through guitar cabs. I will say that it seems more fidgety to dial in this way, but it is common. I am not sure about the feel question.... I mean, it is way more of an "amp in the room" feel than using monitors, but it can be tricky to dial in sitting next to a large tube amp. I usually run it this way most of the time because I can't get into the FRFR sound.

Paincakes likes this.
  11. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

Just be prepared for more limited sounds out of it when using it with a regular guitar cab. That's why many suggest the FRFR route so you can use cab sims to emulate things like small combos or huge stacks with different speakers and mics that you just can't do easily with a real cab. The cabs have a huge effect on the sound. I spend more time choosing the right cab IR than setting up the amp block.

For poweramps the Matrix units are probably the most popular but nothing prevents you from using your favorite tube poweramp either, you just need to turn the poweramp sim off in that case.

Ericjutsu and Elric like this.
  12. Paincakes

Paincakes SS.org Regular

Delivery man is on his way. Are there any "must-have" non-stock cabs to get?
    I hear "Ownhammer" mentioned a ton around these parts. Anything specific? Any other suggestions?

Main tones I typically go for are :
    - Carcass / Machine Head style "5150"
    - Slash / GNR style Marshall

13. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

Honestly, if you are new to the Axe-FX, I would avoid add-ons for awhile. Learn the stock offerings, and learn Axe-Edit, and update the system, reset the system, and load the newest version of the factory presets. You will have 400~ish factory presets to play with. I would not look at add-ons for at least 6 months.

LeviathanKiller and Elric like this.
  14. Elric

Elric SS.org Regular

Great advice. The Axe overwhelms a lot of people at first. Get to know its base capabilities and use first. It can do so much that it can feel limitless once you really learn it. Read up on the wiki and manual.

15. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

Try the IRs that come with firmware update packages. They are a small sampler set that has some pretty good sounds. The stock cabs can do a lot though.

16. ICSvortex

ICSvortex 0-0-0-1

Hey guys!
    I have a question that seems to be really important to me, but on the interwebs i cant find a definitve answer...
    So here we go!

A dude in my local area asked me if i would be down to trading my ENGL savage 120 against his Axe Fx Ultra. (Not the II)
    Now i am going on tour by the end of march so i dont want to carry the savage all across 4 countries^^ and i really love the stuff i hear from the axe fx users.

Now my question is:
    I know that there are 10 slots for my own cab IR's on the axe fx ultra. But it seems like you need a different data-format to import cab IR's into the axe fx. Is there a way that i can import my custom made .wav Cab IR's into the Axe fx? And is there a way also to delete the stock cab IR's on the axe fx so i can import more of my own ones?

And do you think you can still get modern tones out of this old machine?^^ Or is the Axe Fx II a must?

Thanks a lot!

17. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Can only power chord

I can't speak to the cab tweaking as I just got my AxeFX yesterday (!!), but do know that some guys are still pulling killer tones out of the Ultra. And if you think about, there were some huge records releasing using that thing, and it's not like you magically can't get those tones anymore. Check this guy out for example:

What I'd be wary of is how the Ultra seems to be plummeting in value now due to the AxeFX III being about to hit the public. There was one on Reverb for like $700 for....a long time. Might even still be there.

18. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

You have to convert the .wav files to .syx files. No, you cannot delete stock cabs.

19. HeHasTheJazzHands

Okay, time to throw out another question. :lol:

Anyone here still using Alto speakers? I remmeber the TS series used to be all the rage, but I don't see as much hype for them anymore. I was gonna check out the Alto TS210 or TS212. If not, I was gonna splurge and get the Electro-Voice ZLX-12P.

Right now I'm using an old crappy Harbinger 15'' powered speaker... Don't like it. Too boomy, too harsh, too scooped, not very loud... :ugh:

20. vick1000

vick1000 SS.org Regular

Consider the DXR10 if available, over the ZLX. The Altos are pretty suck, but probably far better than the junk Harbinger.