Officer Mohamed Noor fatal shooting of Justine Damond

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Mike, Jul 17, 2017.

1. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Because she was Australian?

bostjan likes this.
  2. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

The cop has been on paid leave since the incident.
    There is no investigation any more, because it was already completed. The investigators executed several search warrants looking for illegal substances in the victim's house, trying to tie the victim to any kind of sketchy BS they could find, and then talked to both officer's shrinks, to see if either of them were crazy. Other than that, I think the only thing we know is that there were some fingerprints collected from the back of the police car.
    The investigation ended some time ago, and the BCA's report was filed on the 12th of September, 2017. So far, none of that report has made it public in any way. The only news I've seen is the family wondering why the hell the report is being sealed away in a filing cabinet while nothing is happening.

3. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Ah, okay. I didn't catch that part. My bad.

4. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

FFS. :wallbash:

5. bostjan

http://thenewdaily.com.au/news/nati...e-damond-mohamed-noor-union-boss-minneapolis/

My take: If you don't want there to be charges, how about explaining WTF happened?!

This is abso-fucking-lutely ridiculous! Take away the fact that anyone is a cop for a second...

Person A calls person B.
    Person B arrives at the alley behind person A's house.
    Person A runs out of the house to meet person B.
    Person B shoots person A.
    Some minutes pass, and person A expires.
    Person B calls for help.
    Person B offers no explanations as to what has happened.

How in the shit does the above happen, then person B is not charged with a crime?! How about explain WTF happened or make a statement other than "Sorry?" At first, I found this unacceptable, but now I am just plain angry. I don't know how this woman's family can possibly be keeping it together.

vilk likes this.
  6. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

Yeah, the way this case has been handles is a crock of shit.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  7. bostjan

The report, now almost a month old, is still being kept from the public, and there is still absolutely no movement on this.

8. bostjan

Still not a single word of that report has been made public, and it seems that the public has forgotten about this and moved on. I guess they won.

Anyway, someone has proposed a nifty idea - "gun cameras."

The camera is installed on each officer's gun and points the same direction as the barrel. The camera is activated automatically when the gun leaves the holster. That way, any time there is a police shooting, there is some form of footage recorded of the incident. It won't be as good as a body camera, but used in conjunction with the body cameras, if the technology can be miniaturized enough, I think it's a great idea for a) a second camera angle and b) for officers who forget to turn on their body cameras.

What do you guys think? Is it too much to ask? Too cumbersome? Or is this a good idea that could easily clear the names of officers who don't follow protocol with body cameras but still make a justified shooting?

9. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I mean, the devil is in the details, but if you could make it small enough that it wouldn't change the balance of a gun and wouldn't interfere with aim, then sure.

10. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire 8 string hoarder

biggest problems with that idea:
    1. actually getting a miniature camera with decent resolution
    2. guaranteeing that it activates (easier way would be any time the cop grips the sensor the camera turns on, like how tac flashlights for pistols work)
    3. making it hard to tamper with/delete the footage (same problem as with any surveillance gear)

11. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

1) I'm sure we're at a point where it can be done acceptably. Google Glass and whatever Snap called their glasses seemed up to the task.
    2) excellent suggestion, actually, tying it to the pistol grip detecting pressure.
    3) This seems more a policy issue than an enforcement one. I mean, you could make it simply impossible to erase footage from the gun itself, for starters, but either impose penalties on police for firing their weapons withhout footage of the shot, or (since police groups would likely oppose this) allow prosecutors to introduce as evidence the fact that video is missing as part of the prosecution in wrongful use of force proceedings. You'd have to get the technology to the point where it had a damned near 100% success rate, but when it comes to something like firing a pistol, it's not like someone would be holding it so loosely that it wouldn't register, you know? :lol:

12. bostjan

Yeah, the main trouble with google glass was the battery, but it the thing isn't going to need to be on very much, hopefully.

Whether implemented by grip or by unholstering, I don't think it matters too much. It's just a matter of more cost, which the taxpayers would be responsible to pay for. Maybe it'd be a cheaper option to just fire cops if they don't start using their body cameras, or cheaper yet to just keep letting the police murder people without consequences.

It's not even that upsetting to me anymore that the police murder people, I'm desensitized to it - not because of the news, but from years of growing up in Detroit. Two of my neighbours (not some dude down the street, but my actual next door and across-the-street neighbours) were shot and killed by police, one in the 1980's and one in the 1990's. Yeah, eons ago, but do you think a person forgets stuff like that? I know most police don't shoot innocent people, but even the ones who don't stick up for the ones who do, and that's what upsets me - there's zero accountability. "This guy is autistic and doesn't communicate well, shoot him. This white woman knocked on the back of my police car because I drove past her house, shoot her. This dude just happens to be black...and that's it, shoot him." And then, when it's time for some accountability, a few weeks of paid time off and watch this video, and you're good to go back on duty, or whatever small variations of that. Shit, if I were a police officer, I couldn't work with a guy who shot an innocent person, or hell, even someone who shot a person in general, if there was no accountability.

Maybe I'm in too much of a dark place right now to make a whole lot of sense, and probably these concerns of police brutality against other people are the least of my immediate concerns, but it's just so damn stupid, and I can't just shrug it off. The thing is that now we have extra laws to help keep these issues clear and transparent, yet there is no clarity and no transparency. It's still just as messed up as it was before, in that regard.

I know plenty of cops who seem like really good people. It tears me up inside to think that if one of their coworkers shot and killed me or my family, these "good guy" cops wouldn't think twice about covering it up so their coworker wouldn't be held accountable. These are people I talk to regularly, joke around with, play cards with, etc., but I know deep in my heart that's just how it is.

Frankly, while I'm on this rant, gun cameras won't do a damn bit of good. If a crooked cop decides to shoot a dude, he'll use another gun, or cover up the camera with a finger or piece of tape or delete the video or have his captain delete the video. Just like how there was no dashcam footage when Damond was shot.

The authority in this world has one objective above all others - to retain authority. Anything...anything that calls that authority into question will never ever be transparently presented by the authority whom it damages.

So yeah, I guess just forget about this thread. The discussion makes no difference, ultimately. It's just a fart in the wind.

Edika and Mike like this.
  13. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

You know, I may be just indulging in my love of complex, fiddly solutions to complex, fiddly problems here. Maybe you're right. Maybe what we need isn't more information than we're already getting, but just better use and more accountability from the information we have.

The fact that when a police officer is suspected of wrongful use of violence, he's investigated by his peers and supervisors at the station and prosecuted by the same prosecutors he works closely with to build cases against alleged criminals with day in and day out is a pretty massive conflict of interest. Maybe outsourcing the whole problem to an independent third party tasked solely with monitoring and upholding the lawfullness of police behavior is the better answer. Sadly, it looks like they'd be busy enough to warrant a full time team dedicated to this nationally.

14. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire 8 string hoarder

generally speaking Internal Affairs is supposed to investigate any shooting, and they generally don't mingle with other LEO (at least from what I've been told). Based off of what I've seen in the military though, people are going to mingle no matter what rank or other bullshit is supposed to keep them separated. Having independent investigators would work if we could actually guarantee that all they do is oversight/monitoring the cops. As it stands I don't know if we can guarantee that.

15. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Yeah, I don't think we can really call them truly "independent." Some sort of DoJ oversight protocol would be nice, but the odds of that ever happening under Jeff Sessions are approximately nil.

16. bostjan

We will never see justice in this case.

The message to the civilian population is that the police can kill you without consequences.

Freedom is bullshit.

watson503 likes this.
  17. Mike

Mike The Traveler Contributor

bostjan likes this.
  18. bostjan

So is anything happening or not? I'm guessing not. Yeah, those other cases took a long time to get to arraignment in those other cases, but a) none of them were quite as long as this, b) even if they were going to arraignment or not, they are no where near that point in the process yet, despite taking so much longer, and
    c)
    Plus, the written reports were filed months ago now. The fact that not one shred of those has been made public might mean that they are considering charges, but it might also mean that they are not considering charges, yet they don't want the reports seeing the light of day because either they contain damaging information or they were embarrassingly lacking detail.

Mike likes this.