Offical Axe-Fx Q&A thread!

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by JohnIce, Apr 16, 2010.

1. JohnIce

JohnIce Singlecoils = tr00

Sure you can! But make sure the headphones are really good then, because otherwise it could be like getting a Ferarri just to drive around in the back yard with... I've tried my Axe with my headphones (some sort of Sony beefcake phones), and it sounded very processed and Line6-ish.

2. ralphy1976

ralphy1976 1 less ERGNESS

cool..i have been looking at the fractal reactor cab this morning. sounds like a good idea for in-house playing!!!

my excel spreadsheet is telling me it is going to be an expensive upgrade from a Roland Cube20X!!!! :rofl:!!!!

3. ristoCoC

ristoCoC SS.org Regular

Hey,

How do i connect my Axe-Fx to my laptop?

4. Soopahmahn

Soopahmahn Tu ne cede malis

Definitely, but I would recommend hooking up the Axe-FX to a home stereo system or dedicated headphone amplifier (e.g. Grado RA1) and then monitor through a good set of headphones (e.g. Sennheiser HD595). Plugging the headphones directly into the line out from the Axe-FX will not sound great as it outputs a line level signal, not an amplified signal that a headphone set will need to sound properly. I think the only way that you can get away with it is because the Axe-FX can output +18 dB over reference, which is enough to drive headphones to make some noise.

Still, that's the only way to use headphones with it properly. Think of it like a CD player or DVD player in your home stereo setup - you don't just plug the disc drive directly into the speakers.

5. Soopahmahn

With a cable :rofl:

What do you want to do?

6. PnKnG

PnKnG Banned

So I finally decided that I also will jump onto the bandwagon and get myself an Axe-Fx. Most likely the Ultra.
    Right now I'm still in the money saving phase but in around 6 month I should have the money together to get myself one.
    I also plan on getting a audio interface and a Midi controller while I'm at it.
    Now I would like to know if you guys think that the M-Audio Fast Track Pro ( M-AUDIO FAST TRACK PRO - Svensk International Cyberstore ) is a good audio interface to go together with the Axe-Fx and keeps the audio quality up?
    Or does anybody has any better suggestion for a better interface around the same price?
    As for the midi controller I was thinking about the Behringer FCB 1010 ( BEHRINGER FCB 1010 - Svensk International Cyberstore ). I have heard about a so called "UnO" Mod (changeing the chip inside the FCB). Is the Mod worth it? And is there a guide out there for how to program the FCB with the Axe-FX?
    I hope you guys can help me :D

7. ristoCoC

ristoCoC SS.org Regular

Where on the laptop i plug in and what? I would like to upload a new firmware to my axe fx

8. Necrophagist777

Necrophagist777 can't bend....

Same here, I have a pair of decent Audio Technica phones and it sounded god-awful. I say just get a decent pair of reference monitors (what I use when I record or practice at low volumes), and if you really need to be silent get a REALLY REALLY good pair of headphones.

9. Soopahmahn

The best headphones on the planet will sound like poop if you don't use some kind of headphone amplifier.

10. Soopahmahn

As usual, the Axe-FX Wiki holds the answers.

:wavey:

11. Necrophagist777

Necrophagist777 can't bend....

Well I have the axe fx going into my M Audio Fast Track Pro, then into my mixer and then out to my monitors/headphones. But I never use the headphones cuz like I said, they sound like poo lol

12. orb451

orb451 Banned

Congrats on taking the plunge! I can't comment on your choice of audio interfaces, I use a cheap-o Lexicon unit and it works fine for me. As far as the FCB1010 is concerned, I have one and I have it UnO chipped. I bought the FCB from American Musical Supply online. I got the UnO chip by digging around online too. I want to say I paid about $8 for it from some guy in Spain or something random. Sorry, I really didn't keep good details. But I got it, opened up the FCB and popped it in with no issues at all.

I use RipWerx software with it and if I could find the damn websites that had good tutorials, I'll PM you. If not, definitely look at the Fractal Forums. Under MIDI controllers subforum there's a sticky thread for the FCB1010. I think it was a guy named Voes or someone else that had awesome tut's on how to set it up, configure parameters to map to FCB buttons, etc.

Hope that helps and good luck, once you get it set up it's not too bad, but the first steps can be hairy. Also, my advice, take a good while to get your Axe dialed in. Get really comfortable with some or all of your sounds, then start re-arranging your banks, THEN get your FCB plugged in and tweaked to taste.

13. SnowfaLL

SnowfaLL SS.org Regular

I've been wanting one of those Lexicon R1's, but I keep missing out on the great deals for them. They look like the best option for the price though, usually around $100-125.

14. ristoCoC

ristoCoC SS.org Regular

15. PnKnG

PnKnG Banned

Thanks for the reply :yesway:

I haven't brought it yet but will do so once I have the money (aka. once the status of my funds in my sig is all green).
    Thanks again for giving your insight onto the FCB1010.
    I did some digging myself, did you mean these 2 links:
    Where to buy the UnO chip: FCB1010 UnO firmware
    Guide and other helpful tips and explanations: fcb1010 - UnO - Index
    Guess that settles which Midi controller I will be using until I have the money for the official controller (MFC101) and when its finally out (if ever :lol:).

16. PnKnG

PnKnG Banned

Anybody else has something to add.
    Mostly about the quality of the M-Audio Fas Track Pro.

17. MSalonen

MSalonen SS.org Regular

It looks like I've also been sold into getting an Axe FX. Just need to sell off a bunch of my gear to help fund it.

What I was wondering though, was how to go about using it in a recording context, directly into the computer. Right now I use a Line 6 POD directly into my computer and record with Garageband, using Guitar Rig as an amp modeler. Would I need to buy anything else to use the Axe FX?

My biggest concern is dropping a lot of money on something like this, and with it being a complicated electronic device (much moreso than an amp head, I would imagine), it being more subject to breakage than an amp head. Through no fault of its own, but just by nature of its own design and it being what it is.

18. Soopahmahn

Agreed - what are people's recommendations here? All I have is a Boss Micro BR. I already think I need to get a MIDI audio card for my computer to download firmware updates and patches, right?

I'm also wondering if Periphery recorded their new album with the Axe-FX. Anybody know? (This isn't a Periphery thread, keep it OT plskthx :squint:)

19. Uncle Remus

Uncle Remus SS.org Regular

All you need to transfer files and update firmware is one of these:

about $50

E-MU Systems - Xmidi 1x1 - USB MIDI Interface

And yes AFAIK the new album used the AFX

Soopahmahn likes this.
  20. Soopahmahn

Thanks dude!

Is anybody out there using the Atomic Reactor full-range cabs, either passive or active versions? I am tempted to try them in stead of my Mesa 2x12 which I've been contemplating loading with EVM-12Ls instead of V30s, but they look so "Fendery." Some swear by them, however.