Offical Axe-Fx Q&A thread!

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by JohnIce, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Soopahmahn

Soopahmahn Tu ne cede malis

Get something that is bare minimum 300w into the rated impedance, and as high in quality as you can afford. Set it and forget it.

2. right_to_rage

right_to_rage Avant Temporal

So a carvin DCM1000L, 1000w SS is good? That is about the most I can spend cause I'm getting a whole new rig with an Axe-Fx Ultra, GenzB cab, and a Ground Control Pro and I'm already dipping into the savings hommie lol

3. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

OK, so this may be a stupid question, but I have powered monitors and if I get the Axe-FX can I just run it right into the monitors, or do I have to run it through my mixer first? (FWIW, I have Event 2020bas and they have XLR and 1/4" ins).

4. AK DRAGON

AK DRAGON Guitar Popcicle

This pretty much sold me on an Ultra and a pair of FR's

5. JJ Rodriguez

JJ Rodriguez Contributor

It won't be 1000W unless your guitar cab is 2 ohms. It should be good though, unless you have a 16 ohm cab, and crank it up a lot.

6. JohnIce

JohnIce Singlecoils = tr00

Yup, you can use them without a mixer, I do all the time :yesway:

7. Soopahmahn

DCM1000L bridged mono output = 1000W @ 4 ohms, 700W @ 8 ohms. Not recommended bridged into 2 ohms to my knowledge, even though you can run 500W x 2 @ 2 ohms. That's more than enough juice to run a half stack (heck probably a full stack) at full volume while keeping some good headroom. Remember that most SS guitar heads are like 100-400W @ 8 ohms, so you're doubling down on top of that.

8. right_to_rage

So, are your saying that its too much wattage? Because the G-Flex 212 has a 16 ohm mono jack, a 4 ohm mono jack on the right side, and the option to run 8 ohms in stereo. This is what musicians friend says, "150W RMS handling when run in mono, 75W/side RMS in stereo". I'm sort of new at this, I've only ever owned combo amps, but what would you recommend?

Heres the cab manual if it helps: http://www.genzbenz.com/img/manuals/gb/GB212GFLEX.pdf

9. snuif09

snuif09 SS.org Regular

i think that its 150 watt for tube amps wich is louder then a 1000watt ss amp but maybe im wrong and you do need a higher watt cab.

10. right_to_rage

From what I gather the general rule of thumb is that if you want to compete in volume with a tube power amp you have to get a solid state that has five times the wattage. So I figured that a 1000 solid state power amp will match a 200 watt tube amp using this rule.
    I would get the Carvin TS100 which is pretty much the cheapest and most transparent tube power amp on the market (I like tube sound/affordable tube sound), but I don't know if its going to be loud enough or have enough headroom? I don't think I'm going to need to turn up to 11, seeing as the Axe-Fx plugs into the P.A, but I'm still confused
    edit: I got my info from JJ
    I'm starting to get the feeling that the TS100 is going to be the right one for me, cause lots of people are using these to run dual 212's in stereo, and even 412's in stereo with great results...

11. JJ Rodriguez

JJ Rodriguez Contributor

Not volume no, headroom.

Just means you won't be clipping anything, since things get real ugly when you start clipping solid state stuff.

The TS100 should be loud enough for you bridged. As for powering 2 full stacks, are you in a band that will be playing stadiums? :lol: If you're looking to power that many cabs, you should be looking at a VHT 2/90/2, since the cabs will be a huge investment, so the cost difference between that and a TS100 should be negligible :lol:

EDIT: Should also mention that I heard that rule at the Fractal Audio forums. Whether it's true or not, I have no idea. I've also heard 3 times the wattage, and 4 times. I think you just want to get as much wattage for the money that you can. The thing about solid state wattage is that you can't have too much, but you have have too little. It's not like buying a 300W tube amp, because you would need to turn that up to retarded volumes to get it to sound decent. With solid state, you can run it on the lowest setting possible, and it will sound just as good as when you have it cranked up (or better if you're clipping it).

It's better to have too much and not need it than it is to not have enough and need it.

12. Soopahmahn

This. :agreed:

I can gig my office cubicle with a million watt amplifier as long as I keep the gain down enough. I can't gig the local bar with 10W and no mic.

All this talk about multiples of tube amp power equating to SS power recommendations is silly. For whatever cabinet(s) you're going to use, figure out how much the total power handling is and consider doubling that to be a healthy minimum for your amp. Doubling wattage gives 3dB of clean headroom, which is plenty for the dynamic peaks present in guitar signals. Going higher does not hurt anything, it just runs your amp less hard in fact, which is only good for longevity. You do NOT want your SS amp to start clipping, which conversely is EXACTLY what you want tube amps to do to "get loud."

I recommend 300w RMS minimum for your cabinet in mono operation, keeping in mind that you should add more juice if you add more cabs. Since you have 2x 75W 8 ohm nominal drivers, 150-200W x 2 @ 8 ohms would be perfect for stereo operation. The DCM1000L fits that bill perfectly, and running the Axe-FX in stereo, especially with that slight baffle angle, will be awesome.

If you want tubes, get the TS100. If you want SS, get the DCM1000L or similar.

13. JJ Rodriguez

JJ Rodriguez Contributor

Or a VHT/Fryette 2/90/2 :lol:

But that multiple of tube power is just a general rule that a lot of the Fractal guys say. Given that I ran my 1540L on about half bridged, and my Axe FX output at a bit more than half, I still want a lot more than 300W, then again, I had a 600W cab. My current cab is only 200W though, so maybe 300W solid state would do it, who knows :shrug:

I'm back to tubes so it's not really an issue for me.

14. Nights_Blood

Nights_Blood Fire and Brimstone

I'm confused. If those are FRFR then why is he using a power amp?

15. orb451

orb451 Banned

It might be because he's using the FRFR Atomic Wedges that are passive. I believe there's 2 models. One active (power amp + speaker cab together) and passive (speaker by itself, bring your own power amp).

16. right_to_rage

Thanks for the help guys, I have decided that I want tubes so I'm going with the TS100 to power the G-Flex 2x12.

Just when I thought I was done spending money, I started to notice that everyone has a power conditioner in their rack. Now I know that its a smart idea to have this type of protection, but I have a power strip (can't recall the brand) that looks identical to this Monster MP PRO 800 Amazon.com: Monster MP PRO 800 with Clean Power Stage 1, Surge Protection, and 8 Color-Coded Outlets High Performance Pro PowerCenter: Electronics . It literally has the same layout, and input functions. Is this all I need to protect my stuff?

17. Syrinx

Syrinx SS.org Regular

That is correct

18. El Caco

El Caco Djavli te ponesli Contributor

What type of protection does it offer? Keep in mind that your gear can go down from a surge even with protection and it can be a case of you get what you pay for. If your power strip is one that has an unlimited lifetime warranty and the small print states that they will replace the power strip as many times as needed in your lifetime and cover any of your damaged gear up to its current market value if it is damaged while connected properly then I don't think you need any additional protection. If you don't have that then you might want to consider looking for one of those or a Furman that might have better filters but only 1 year replacement warranty.

19. right_to_rage

Sorry, the power strip says "Ground" with a green light that doesn't turn on and beside that "Surge Protection" with a red light that is always on. I've decided that its worth the extra money to get a good power conditioner, which is safer than plain surge spike protection. A Furman that does all of the good stuff starts at like 50$ and thats rack mountable. It's basically cheap insurance if something goes wrong at a venue, which is a precaution that I should be taking seeing as all of the venues in Ottawa are d-u-m-p's. :lol:

20. ralphy1976

ralphy1976 1 less ERGNESS

my turn to be a pain in the neck.

If i buy an axe-fx (based on axe Wiki) and plan on using it in house, can i simply use it with Headphones as output (stright from the Axe-Fx)

I am thinking that the answer is "yes" since it has got all the modelling, but i'd love to be enlightened by your knowledge guys.

Thanks