Offical Axe-Fx Q&A thread!

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by JohnIce, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Soopahmahn

Soopahmahn Tu ne cede malis

I absolutely hear you on the weight issue. My problem is that I've yet to see an amp with a switching power supply manage to make a low-distortion high-frequency signal. As subwoofer amps they're amazing, but getting into the midrange frequencies and beyond their output is ratty. I've listened to hi-fi brands like Rotel and their Class D amps just don't cut it compared to a good old-fashioned Class A/B design. This would be much more important when run into an FRFR system which will create the airy 10kHz+ overtones, which I plan to do in the future. Guitar cabs aren't making much output by 10kHz.

My God, I'm no better than a common tube whore :lol::realmad::lol: I expect that as the power supply switching freqency increases from ~120kHz up to say 300kHz or better, they'll sound much nicer. That day will come but I don't think it's here yet. My rack will be <50 lbs I estimate...

2. Customisbetter

Customisbetter WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot Contributor

damn i gotta weigh my rack when i get home. :lol:

3. Soopahmahn

Back to the spirit of the OP, I have a real question.

Axe-FX Wiki on Ultra vs. Standard features
    Axe-FX Wiki comparison of MIDI footcontrollers

Standard does not have "10-tap delay," "10-tap rhythm-tap delay," and according to the Fractal product page it calls these "rhythmic delays."

The MIDI footcontrollers chart also has a row for "Tempo Tap/Indicator."

1. Does the Standard allow you to program the tempo of delay repeats, ala a Boss DD-5 etc.? You set it to be in eighth-notes, eighth-note triplets, quarter notes etc., then tap the controller to set the tempo. Delay time is thusly set. Actually I'm not even clear on whether the Ultra does this.
    2. Does the MIDI footcontroller have to score a "Yes" on the "Tempo Tap" row of the chart to be able to send this information to the Axe-FX? Or can any button be programmed to set tempo in a delay block?
    :scratch:

4. JohnIce

JohnIce Singlecoils = tr00

1. Yes, you can do that on the Standard.
    2. This one I don't know, as I'm yet to use the Tap function. I think you can program any button to do anything but don't quote me on that.

Soopahmahn likes this.
  5. mattofvengeance

mattofvengeance Team Ibanez

I haven't used the tap function either, but if I recall correctly, this video talks about how to assign that function into one of the preset banks.

Soopahmahn likes this.
  6. Soopahmahn

Would anyone here consider going with relatively high-power/flat speakers such as the EVM-12L, Celestion Classic Lead 80 or Eminence Legends as replacements for the V30's in a Mesa Recto cab? My thought is the more neutral the speakers are, the more the different amp sims will sound instead of taking on too much color from the cabinet.

I feel like it would be easier to add in some "V30 crunch" via parametric EQ for heavy tones than it would be subtract the same quality when I'm trying to cop a Hendrix sound. Obviously, compared to an FRFR setup, the cab is a big coloration on the tone, but this would be halfway between the two solutions, no?

7. TomAwesome

TomAwesome I LIKE JUICE!!!

Eh, I'd say pick one or the other. I don't imagine trying to do what you're describing would work very well.

8. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

Money is getting nearer so I'm gonna start asking my useful noob questions.

My rack is currently way too big for a home studio: I have a 2U preamp, a 1U poweramp, a 2U speaker emulator, a 1U...blablablah.
    I'm tempted to go axe-fx just to have a 4U with the axe and my sound interface.
    I'm pretty worried about it being able to reproduce my current mesa pre+mesa 20:20 tone though. If it can do that I'll likely be sold. Most of the clips I've heard are of "modern" metal of non metal related at all.

And given my current job etc, any live application wouldn't be a worry for me for quite some time.

9. BigPhi84

BigPhi84 Pronounced "FEE"

Which Mesa Pre?

10. Soopahmahn

So you'd rather have V30s in a Recto cab than say EVM-12L's? Other than weight, what do you think the downside would be? Cabinet muddiness? I have one in my open-back MkIV combo and LOVE it.

11. TomAwesome

TomAwesome I LIKE JUICE!!!

I mean, if you want to use a guitar cab, use a guitar cab, and if you want to go FRFR, go FRFR. Trying to make one guitar cab sound like another guitar cab probably won't sound as good as either.

12. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

Oops. Studio preamp. :)

13. Daggorath

Daggorath -.-

I hate this thread. And the fact that us Brits have to pay out the ass for anything like this. Bastards.

14. JJ Rodriguez

JJ Rodriguez Contributor

All of the Carvin DCM power amps are FRFR, they don't colour or add anything to the tone. If you're going to go the route of a clean power amp, might as well go with the light weight one :lol:

15. Soopahmahn

The class operation of an amplifier and its frequency response are unrelated. Any tube amp would be considered FRFR as well. It's the speaker design that dictates whether we are evenly covering the sonic spectrum - guitar cabs are the biggest offender here.

The problem with class D is distortion in the upper frequencies, which will sound harsh to the ear (not a good combo with a horn driver).

Cliff @ Fractal Audio does not recommend inexpensive class D or *shudder* class H amps for FRFR Axe-FX bliss. This is not to say a class D rig sucks - but it's the reason I'm not going that route. I'll lug the extra 10-12 lbs.

EDIT: Link to a power amp discussion.

16. JPhoenix19

JPhoenix19 Playing life by ear

I'd pick the 12L's, but for the reason you proposed. While it's true that the 12L's will color your tone less than the V30's, it being 'middle of the road' between FRFR and a regular guitar speaker may actually be a bad thing. If that's the case, better to stick with FRFR if you're wanting to do cab modeling.

I like the 12L's for their clarity at high volumes.

Soopahmahn likes this.
  17. Soopahmahn

I see what you mean. I think when I say, "middle of the road" what I really mean is that I would not use cab modeling in the Axe-FX, but I feel that the cab would be more versatile in terms of the tones it would make based on the amp and power sim models. I'm not sure if that's accurate at all.

My 2x12 will be the heavies if I put those damn things in there :( but it will have 600w power handling :evil:

18. right_to_rage

right_to_rage Avant Temporal

I was wondering which power amp choice is the best for using the axe-fx live? I don't think that an extra $1000 is worth it to go tube, aside from the Carvin TS100 which is in my price range for >$600 . The solid state poweramps I was looking at the Carvin200L or the ART SLA-2. Overall I'm really confused about power amps, but I'm pretty sure I want a GFlex 2x12 cab. The Genz-Benz is 75w stereo, 150w mono, so does this match up with those power amps?

19. SnowfaLL

SnowfaLL SS.org Regular

Actually I believe I read, maybe from Cliff or at least on the Fractal forums, that altho "Class D sounds worse in upper frequencies".. It is like MUCH higher frequencies than Guitar usually has, therefor for guitar applications, its not an issue. Maybe if you have a tweeter/horn on your PA, sure, but for something like the Axe-FX into a guitar cab, a Class D should be perfectly fine.

Im using a class D with my Digitech GSP1101 and it sounds just as good as when I was running a tube poweramp. I wont know if it has the SS issue of not cutting thru in a band as im not in one atm, but that would be my only concern with Class D amps/SS poweramps in general.

Its the same as everything, a cheaply made Class D amp will suck regardless, but a good one will be good, which those Carvin DCM ones are. Dont settle for anything under 600W though, you will suffer on the headroom if you get lower than 600W imo.

20. Soopahmahn

Yeah I've said it several times, guitar cabinets don't output much above maybe 8 kHz, even open-back designs, so it shouldn't be an issue at all.
    :cheers:
    A guitar run into an FRFR system however will certainly have overtones all the way past human hearing (20 kHz) so having that top octave clean is a good goal. But I will say again that I've listened to some of the very best class D amps and wasn't impressed in that regard. The technology will improve as there is demand for lightweight amps.

I'm with you on the power issue too. I think what I got is a minimum - 700w into 8ohms. I liked the sound of the ART SLA-2 or the Rocktron Velocity 300 but having the extra 3dB of clean headroom is perfect. I didn't care about the 2RU size.

FWIW I think the TS100 @ $550 would be a killer choice too but I'm just sick of tubes.