Offical Axe-Fx Q&A thread!

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by JohnIce, Apr 16, 2010.

1. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

If I can find the DXRs for a good deal, I'd like to check them out.

How much of a difference would 12'' give over 10''?

2. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Do not switch to a brand new way of doing things right before a tour. That is asking for so much trouble. If you're going to do the trade (no idea about market value of each piece over there) do it *after* your tour.

LeviathanKiller likes this.
  3. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

I bought an old Matrix M400 on eBay for cheap (sounds pretty good, I imagine the new GT’s are even better) and I bought an old G12T75 on eBay for cheap, to put in an old 1x12 cab I haven’t been using. It’s a small cab and with that speaker it doesn’t sound so great alone, but with the matrix poweramp I’m running one side into my 2x12, and one side into this 1x12.

Really cool being able to blend the two cabs and control their individual volume, the small t75 cab adds some cool grind and dimension to the sound, running stereo with two cabs sure is fun.

Shask likes this.
  4. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

Nice. How do you like it compared to the VHT/Freyette?

I use a GT1000FX with mine, and I do think I sounds great, but always wonder how it would compare to something like a Freyette Power Station. I use mine with two 212 cabs, a GFlex 212 and an Avatar with V12 speakers. I use the 2 volumes on the Matrix to balance the tone. The only thing I have an issue with is the "dialing the the resonance for more realistic thump" issue, because the different cabs have different resonant frequencies.

5. mnemonic

The resonant frequency thing is tough, and it always was for me with my 2x12, I assume since it has two different speakers in it.

I tried a sine wave sweep and I thought the resonant frequency was around 127hz, and that did add some punch, but after a while I realised it added a lot of woofiness with it set to that frequency. With some experimentation I found the best results for me were with the resonant frequency at 110hz, and then I just adjust the dynamic depth and the low sliders in the GEQ page to the desired bottom end response. That seems to be the best middle ground with it being balanced and clear but not lacking bottom end punch.

I haven’t turned the 2/50/2 on for like two weeks I think, I’ve just been focusing on trying to get a good sound out of a solidstate poweramp. The matrix is better than the class D board I bought on eBay. I may give the 2/50/2 a try again at some point in the week. In general I got more clarity and a more hi-fi and fun-to-play sound with the 2/50/2 over that class D amp board, but the matrix does feel really good to play and Also has more thickness in the bottom end than the class D board, so it will be interesting to compare.

6. ICSvortex

ICSvortex Ibanez Enthusiast

Hey guys!

I have a question concerning the axe fx ultra and spdif:

I just bought an axe fx ultra used for stupidly cheap and now i'm asking myself how i should go about recording with it.

The other guitarist in my band has a kemper and he can choose in the output options what signal he wants to send to the R/L of the spdif. So he can send the DI signal to L and the full amp&cab etc sound to R, thus recording fully digitally.

What i wanted to know is if this is possible on the axe fx ultra, because that would make my life waaaaay easier^^

Thx a lot!

7. Elric

Elric SS.org Regular

I don't think it is possible on the Ultra to do both at once via SPDIF. You can send the dry signal via SPDIF and send the wet signal to the analog out via the FX loop send/output 2 with that signal being analog, though.

Here is an article on reamping with the Ultra that may help:

https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/gen1/index.php?title=Reamping

ICSvortex likes this.
  8. ICSvortex

ICSvortex Ibanez Enthusiast

Thanks a lot!
    A follow-up question to this: the spdif just outputs the main outs (which are stereo) of the axe fx, right? So i could have the chain with amp and everything going hard-left panned to the output and a chain with nothing on it going hard-right panned and that would give me what i want right? Because then i could route the spdif to my daw and record the stereo signal to two seperate tracks and then id have DI and processed signal both recorded digitally...
    Or am i missing something here?

9. Elric

Elric SS.org Regular

It sounds like it might be worth a try to hard pan... good idea... My Ultra is running to power amp and cab so I don’t have it setup to try myself but your logic sounds totally reasonable to me. :)

10. mnemonic

Everyone go play the FAS Hot Rod model, it’s super tight and clear sounding, real cool model.

11. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

Impressed. Can't believe I've never tried that one before.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    AxeHappy and mnemonic like this.
  12. LeviathanKiller

mnemonic likes this.
  13. mnemonic

^super djenty with a boost. This is one of the few models that can sound chunky and tight without really needing one. At least for the less extreme metal styles.

14. LeviathanKiller

Yeah, it sounded almost like it had a boost before I even added one

15. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I haven't tried Hot Rod, but I usually find most of the FAS models tend to be much tighter than the other amps. They usually dont need any sort of boost. I like the FAS Modern III.

16. thetourist

thetourist SS.org Regular

Fresh n00b here, am I wrong in thinking that I should use the two balanced 1/4" outputs on the AX8 to connect(via TRS cables?) to my interface so I can get a stereo sound? For context, I have a Zoom TAC 2R thunderbolt interface which has stereo monitoring.

17. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

I don't think they have to be balanced per se - I run my FX8 in stereo at home and just use two patch cords.

thetourist likes this.
  18. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

19. Andrew Lloyd Webber

Andrew Lloyd Webber Part-time Elon Musk impersonator

+1. The Moog is the cheapest metal pedal, whereas the M-Audio EX-P is a plastic alternative for home use (You can buy two used ones for the cost of a new Moog).

20. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I have a Roland EV-5 that works well, and is pretty cheap.