Offical Axe-Fx Q&A thread!

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by JohnIce, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Kisbori

Kisbori SS.org Regular

That's sounds good, i have a 112 cab, with a 8Ohm K100 speaker, so it would be fine for the power amp.

Zoobiedood likes this.
  2. Selkoid

Selkoid SS.org Regular

Pulled the trigger and bought a II... shows up today! What do you guys think are some must check out features right away on the axe fx? I'm super excited to try the modern FAS stuff, friedman models and to see how well the 5153 holds up the actual amp!

3. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

Install Fractal-Bot and Axe-Edit. Flash in the 9.0 firmware beta.

4. Selkoid

Selkoid SS.org Regular

Ah darn I installed 8.02, didn't even realize there was beta firmware out... Any major detectable differences? Do I just want to be on the latest firmware so I don't have to redo patches later down the road? This thing is everything i've wanted and i've only played with it for a few hours, sounds fantastic.

AxeHappy and LeviathanKiller like this.
  5. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

You can check the release notes in the first post on the axe fx forum.

From what I remember, the only difference is some change to the speaker drive setting and how it works.

I'm still on 8.02, I usually don't update unless I see something I want to try like a new amp or something.

AxeHappy likes this.
  6. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

The 9.0 firmware changes something with the speaker drive that makes all models just sound better to me but you'll be fine with 8.02.

7. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I have not tried it yet (I usually wait for the full release), but I have high hopes. I am not a huge fan of Q8. Something changed with that motor drive stuff that made it not sound as good for high gain as Q7.

I find the Axe updates kind of like Windows releases.... it is like every other one is awesome, and every other one between those suck, lol. Q7 was great, Q8, not so much, so Q9 must be good. :)

8. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

I haven't updated my axe fx since forever, maybe a year. At that point it sounds good enough for me, I don't want to update and get a bad surprise.

9. mnemonic

Which firmware are you on?

I didn't update for like a year, year and a half, I was on quantum 3, updated to quantum 8.

It was a significant change, but in the end i think it was worth it. I had to redo patches (not hard for me as I have like three) but they did sound better.

10. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

Luckily the updates are much slower these days. A year is usually only one or two major updates.

It is not like 4 years ago when a new major update was coming out every month.

I am still on 8.02. I will update eventually, lol.

11. mnemonic

Looks like we might be getting a big update soon.

12. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I am wondering if these updates will help the low end thump issues. It seems like that interaction with the speakers is thing that is still missing. That dynamic feel that happens as you chug along, that makes the low end feel and sound like it is jumping out at you.

On an unrelated note, I was playing around with the compressors a little bit yesterday. I am finding that I am liking a compressor on before high gain amps just to even things out some. I used to have to do this on Line 6 gear because I always felt like they were overly dynamic. It was like I had to really nail the strings all the time to get the right sound and feel normal so single notes weren't weak. I have been starting to find this on the Fractal also, instead of using Boosts. Maybe I just need to start using EMG pickups, lol....

13. mnemonic

That was also my first thought, maybe this will address that low end thing where it's still not 100%.

After doing more research on how solidstate amps work vs tube, speaker interaction, etc. I'm convinced we'll never be 100% on the tube poweramp feel/sound, at least not without a totally different way of making solidstate poweramps, but if this update is what I hope it is, it might be close enough that who cares.

14. J_Mac

J_Mac SS.org Regular

I’m going to try some of the Ownhammer IRs. Has anyone got a favourite pack for metal? Can’t decide between the bundles. The new Heavy Hitters are appealing, but Core is half the price.

15. Rich5150

Rich5150 SS.org Regular

Mike great presets. I have purchased both of the packs. I even have the original one you released a few years ago. Keep it up and I look forward to more packs.

16. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

I like the heavy hitters cabs. I've only got the first pack but found it very useful for heavy tones. I generally really like OH's IRs.

J_Mac likes this.
  17. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

18. LeviathanKiller

19. LeviathanKiller

What should I get?
    Mikko's ML Sound Lab Misha Mansoor complete collection for $50 or one of the OwnHammer Heavy Hitter collections (I or II) for $50?
    I don't care about whether or not they are able to be used anywhere other than the Axe-Fx so that's not a factor to consider.