Offical Axe-Fx Q&A thread!

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by JohnIce, Apr 16, 2010.

1. vick1000

vick1000 SS.org Regular

Yeah the 2/50/2 is a pretty flat power amp, so a bit of amp sim will help.

2. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

I stumbled on this video the other day and I don't feel like I have any preset close to that right now and am also having an issue making one. Does anyone here have a preset like this? It's kinda glassy but when he does the staccato parts it's definitely got some nice mids in it. Most of the stuff I have or have seen from the Axe-Change is more scooped in the EQ. I could care less about having his delay and reverb settings. Just after the main tone really.

2:32 to 3:42 section

schwiz likes this.
  3. Mike Spreitzer

Mike Spreitzer SS.org Regular

Hello Everybody,

Mike Spreitzer from DevilDriver here. I've been a die-hard fan of the Axe FX II for a while and have some free presets for anybody that would like to try them. I spent some time going through every high-gain amp sim in the fractal and narrowed it down to a few favorites. As of now, my ultimate favorite is the Freidman. I love it so much I'm dying to get my hands on the real thing. But since they are a bit out of my price range I'll settle for Fractal's version. I've also included a few others in the zip file. Click on the link below and give them a test run if you'd like and feel free to give me some feedback. Happy Jamming :)

https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/axefxpresets/AxeFXPromoPresets.zip

4. schwiz

schwiz Lefty

Awesome!!! Thanks for posting these. I'm assuming you built these patches using your signature guitar with active EMG's correct? That may sound different for me, but I'll still give these a go and report back. My favorite amp on the AxeFx is the Diezel (Das Metall)!

5. Mike Spreitzer

I actually switched to Fishman Modern Fluence pickups about a year ago and I'm very happy with them. I still love EMGs but I like to switch things up from time to time. These particular tones were dialed in using an ESP Eclipse. I don't use my signature V's very often when I'm doing studio work. They are a little awkward to play sitting down for long periods of time. I find Eclipse/Les Paul style guitars much easier to sit with for hours on end.

The Das Metall amp on the Axe FX II was my very first "go-to" tone when I originally got my unit and used it for a couple years. I've always loved Diezel amps and we used the VH4 and Herbert on our album Beast. After that I utilized the 5153 red channel and now I prominently use one of the Friedman amps with impulse responses from a friend in Germany named Lasse Lammert. His IR's are awesome.

If you guys like the presets please check out my shop: http://www.audiovaultstudio.com/

ENTER THE CODE: AUDIOVAULT to receive 20% off your entire order. It expires on October 22, 2017

Feel free to hit my up with any questions. I love chatting about gear. :) :)

6. schwiz

schwiz Lefty

Aaaah yes. The master of guitar tones. I first heard of him when he was on the URM podcast, then checked out a bunch of his videos. The guy knows his tones!

Anyways, I'll get to trying these suckers out when I get home from work!! Cheers!

7. schwiz

schwiz Lefty

I checked out your sample patches! My favorite was definitely the Lucid Dream clean tone, but I also liked the Uber tone. The hi-gain stuff wasn't really my taste though, however I was just jamming to them on my guitar and haven't heard them in a mix context. Did you use any of these tones on your records?

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  8. Mike Spreitzer

Thanks for checking them out. Super stoked you found some you like. Feel free to elaborate if you can about what you didn't like about the high-gain presets. I don't mind the constructive criticism. I know it can be hard to describe what you like and don't like about a tone.....but I like collecting the feedback.

The Lucid Dream patch was used on the intro of a track called "House Divided" from our record Trust No One.

9. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

changing the subject completely Mike.
    Without me knowing how your relationship with Jeff and John is these days, I just wondered what you thought of Johns new project? "Bad Wolves" Its massively different to DD but I dig it personally.
    If there was a fallout after he left DD then ignore my comment as obviously online comments etc cause issues.

\m/

10. LeviathanKiller

I've been listening to post-processed guitar tracks lately comparing them to the sounds of my existing presets and whatnot so I feel like the high-gain presets were really good but only after I turned the gain down from about 7ish to 3 for the AV RECTIFIED RED 3 CH and AV UBER STRATO DRIVER. I had to go down all the way to 1.5 for the AV FREEMAN 100 V1 and AV FREEMAN 100 V2 presets though. Seems like the gain needs to be brought down considerably on all of them. Once I did that they sounded good and seemed to be ready to be recorded with (not excluding some usual post-processing). I'm not sure why there's doubled inputs with gates that Y together in the FREEMAN presets though.

I used your Kemper profiles and they were the same way. They sounded really good but I did need to turn the gain down first. In my opinion, it's better to err on the low side because while browsing through them I can still get the idea of the preset/tone and then turn the gain up to what I need. When it's too high, it's just a mess and I'm not enticed to tweak it really because I have no idea if it will be worth it because I can't really hear the tone underneath the excess gain.

Assuming these were all made with your Fishman Fluence pickups it seems weird to think that those active pickups would require or be usable with so much gain. Nevertheless, good stuff. I'd wait for someone to second my thoughts about the gain amount since it may be that I just have really high-output pickups (Agile Cepheus set and BKP Aftermath set).

I've tried the entire California Cleans pack for the Axe-Fx and was super impressed with it. There were quite a few effect combos and settings that I most likely would've never have thought of myself. The base tone underneath was good too. I would maybe include duplicates of all the presets but without their effects as another folder in the pack because some people may ignore some of the really good ones just because they don't like the loaded effects on them and didn't bother to remove them to check base tones. One of my favorites was AV DEATH VALLEY CLEAN. Probably one of the most simple clean tones in there but I loved it, both with and without effects. I got lost in several presets just noodling away. haha
    The only negative to this pack was that a few presets had no sound until you bypassed the VOL block. Please fix it so that sound always comes through by default. Happens with presets from the Axe-Change occasionally too and is such a pet peeve. It's fine if the VOL block is in there for those with expression pedals, but don't have it closed or enabled by default.

Awesome stuff dude! Will definitely be checking out more stuff in your store. (Really want the "YOUR TONE SUCKS" shirt you have too haha)

11. Mike Spreitzer

I probably should have explained my reasoning behind the double input/gates I have set up in the signal chain :) The top gate is my "rhythm" gate that is set tighter to help avoid squeaks and squeals that can occur. The bottom gate is for leads and solos and set much looser to avoid the gate kicking in when I need more sustain. I always use scene 1 in each preset for my dry rhythm tone and all the other scenes are for wetter leads, solos, and clean tones.

I also got in the habit of of putting a volume block at the very end of the signal chain to make it easier to set all my patches to an even level. I've always had problems with my presets for each song being at different levels depending on what kind of effects I have in the signal chain. Especially with the reverb, delay, and pitch blocks. In order to remedy the situation, once I have my presets set up the way I want (I have dedicated presets for each song we play live) I run pink noise out of my iPhone into the input of my Axe FX and set up a decibel meter near one of my studio monitors. Then I'll scroll through each one of my presets and adjust the volume block to make sure each preset is exactly the same level. I only do this with my dry rhythm presets on scene 1.

As far as the gain settings.....I guess that's just a matter of taste I suppose. It's funny that you bring it up because I have my gain set around 6 with my current rhythm tone I'm using on this tour and our FOH engineer told me to turn it up a bit a few days ago. I turned it down a bit at rehearsal to around 5.25.

Regarding the Kemper profiles, most of those were made with the gain on the amplifier set to 5 or 6 at most. But don't forget that many of those have an overdrive pedal in front of the amp. I usually set my overdrives with the gain at 0, tone at 5, and mix at 10 to start and make slight adjustments from there. When I first started profiling I was surprised to find out that the final profile in the Kemper would result with the gain set between 8-10. Which is nowhere near where the real amp is set.

As you probably know, profiling high-gain amps can be a bit tricky when using an overdrive pedal. The Kemper will stop the profiling process and tell you to reduce the gain on the amp because it's too noisy. Luckily, my bass player was selling a Furman balanced power unit super cheap. Once I hooked that up in my studio, my noise-floor dropped considerably and the Kemper stopped giving me error messages.

My friend at Furman informed me to run a voltage regulator first and plug the balanced power unit into that, then run all gear off the balanced power. Once I did that, the noise and AM radio I was hearing almost went to 0. I couldn't believe the difference.

Regarding the California Cleans pack...... First off, thank you SO much for the feedback. I really, REALLY appreciate you taking the time. I'll take a look when I get home from tour and try to fix the presets that are not working properly. I really like to keep that Volume block in the chain because I fear people will like some tones better than others simply because it might be a bit louder. I'm sure everybody knows how volume bumps and brighter tones can trick our brains to think one tone it better than another. I've also tried to keep everything at 0 that's more hidden in the signal chain. Which is why I'm not using the input gate or output settings. But I'll definitely have another look and do my best to fix it. I'll also make more dry presets on my next pack. (Super good idea)

BTW......I also have a guitar loaded with BKP Aftermaths. They sound great and we used them for our main rhythms on our new covers record that's coming out next year. But for some reason I prefer the Fishmans through a real amp. The Aftermaths seem to shine more going into my Axe FX. Weird right??

Thanks again. :) :)

LeviathanKiller likes this.
  12. LeviathanKiller

If that gain is the norm, I must be aging prematurely then I suppose. haha

I'll have to check later this weekend but I think the patch I noticed that on had both gates enabled in scene 1 which was the issue. It would be nice if they had X/Y switching on GATE blocks. I'll let you know which preset it was exactly unless you happen to find it before I do.

I tend to make more compressed sounding tones on my Axe-Fx than I do on my Kemper. The capabilities of the Axe just lend it to being used for a straight to recording sound (i.e. more compressed, almost already post-processed). That could be a difference you're noticing perhaps.

Definitely going to use that pink noise trick! Man, that's going to make volume leveling the plethora of presets I have loaded so much easier.

13. Mike Spreitzer

When you're doing the pink noise trick, keep it at a volume that's a bit loud and put some ear plugs in. I find it works better. Around 90dB........ish

14. Selkoid

Selkoid SS.org Regular

I need help guys... I've been eyeballing the axe FX for years at this point and am coming to the conclusion that i should just pull the trigger. What were some of the major selling points that really pushed you into picking up the axe fx? I have a tube rig right now (EVH 5150 III + Diezel 2x12) but I want something with a little more versatility, recording ease and something that can be a little bit quieter, which the axe seems to check off all of those boxes. How many of you guys ended up keeping your amps / cabs after getting an axe fx?
    What are your major likes/dislikes with the unit?

15. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

What pushed me to get the axe fx years ago was that I wanted good tone, but I needed it at quiet volumes and with headphones, compact (at least more compact than a head/cab setup), and somewhat versatile. Also I was used to modellers, having used them pretty much since I started playing electric guitar, so it was a natural progression. It was perfect for all of that.

Where I am now, however, I have no space limitations as I have a spare room for all my guitar gear, no sound limitations as my house is detached and well insulated so I can play as loud as I want whenever I want, and I don't really need the versatility as I pretty much only use the recto models these days.

I use a 2x12 guitar cab anyway so if I was rebuying all my gear today I would probably just get a dual or triple recto and call it a day, but that doesn't mean I don't like my current setup. In fact I'm very happy with my sound at all volumes.

I did end up getting a tube poweramp for the axe fx (Fryette 2/50/2) as I wasn't really happy with the lack of bottom end depth and the feel I was getting with the cheapo solid state PA poweramp I was using. But to be fair I never did try an actual quality solid state poweramp like a matrix. I imagine a decent solidstate poweramp would work well. Maybe the feel wouldn't be 100% as tube and solidstate operate differently and their interaction with the speaker load is just very different, but with the quality of axe fx poweramp modelling it should be close at least.

Selkoid likes this.
  16. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

I sold my Diezel Einstein and Egnater Tourmaster amps after getting the Axe-Fx. This was back in the Axe-Fx Standard days, now I own the Axe-Fx 2. For me the kicker was the authenticity of the tone and feel, I feel like I don't miss anything from those real tube amps. The difference is that with the Axe-Fx I can get that at almost any volume and never have to worry about "well I like my amp X sound but wish it had less of Y and more of Z" as it has so many amp models and settings you can make it sound exactly as you want.

What I don't like is the user interface on the hardware. It is archaic and cumbersome. If it wasn't for the very good Axe-Edit software I would have probably gotten frustrated and gone back to tube amps or something with a better UI. At the moment the Line6 Helix can sound about just as good but has a better UI on the front panel. However the software editor is not as good and the Axe-Fx 2 is more powerful and allows more complex rigs.

What you use as output devices for these top end modelers matters a lot. For recording a set of good studio monitors is a great choice. For stage use the most versatile option would be either a stage monitor or some other FRFR solution with another output going to mixer's desk. Using a guitar poweramp and cab will sound good but also limit the tones as using the cab impulses on the Axe-Fx has a huge effect on the overall tone.

17. Mike Spreitzer

I've been using the Axe FX II for at least 5 years and I can tell you its very road-worthy and sounds fantastic. I still feel that real amps still sound better but the Axe FX and Kemper have it pretty damn close. If you've thought about going the Kemper route for live performance I would recommend against it. The other guitarist in my band has one out on the road and has had a few problems with it. They sound great, but they are not as durable as the Axe FX. Plus, I think the effects in the Fractal are far better.

I agree with laxu about the interface. Its a bit cumbersome and there's a fairly steep learning curve to know your way around it. But the Axe Edit software editor works very well and makes dialing in tones, saving, and restoring very easy.

I still have all my amps and cabs for recording purposes. But I doubt I'lll every use a real amp in a live scenario again. Almost all the overdubs, solos, and leads I've done on the last 3 DevilDriver records have been tones from the Axe FX

18. Lax

Lax SS.org Regular

I pulled the trigger on may 2015 and will never regret going modeller all the way.
    The good thing nowaday is the fact that it takes less and less tweaking to get a good starting sound with the amp of your choice, and there is a vast community to help chosing IRs to get the best of it.
    When I started I had a hard time dialing tones.
    Come on, buy it

19. Kisbori

Kisbori SS.org Regular

Seymour Duncan powerstage 170, is it worth try with the Ax8 ? Sounds good ?

20. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood SS.org Regular

I love the PowerStage 170 with my AX8, and it fits right on my pedalboard. I use whatever full range cab I have around, but it also works well into a guitar cab if you turn the cab sims off on the AX8.