Offical Axe-Fx Q&A thread!

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by JohnIce, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Arch-Mage of Metal

When Reinhold designed the Uberschall years ago... he supposedly bought/borrowed the 3 best sounding pre-500 Mesa Rectifiers Revs C-D he could find and then had them and his Uber prototype side by side in a room with a few people and went back and forth playing and tweaking until he and the group there liked the Uber as much or more than the Rectos present that day. Of note the prototype Uber and the very first few Ubers had 6550 power tubes, which were changed to EL34 shortly thereafter. The Uber is most definitely built on a Recto circuit foundation.

Shask likes this.
  2. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Really poor choice to dump this from a new thread into the 230 page sea of random Axe stuff where none of it can be discussed in a targeted manner :-/

3. swollenpickle

swollenpickle SS.org Regular

Hey guys!
    So I'm having a bit of a predicament ,I want to control a 5150 ii and the Axe Fx ii at the same time with the MFC 101 but I just haven't found what I need for Cables or Midi devices etc.
    If anyone has a good direction to point me in I would be really grateful ,the internet doesn't have a whole hell of a lot of info when it comes to relay switching with the axe fx and I don't want to tap dance lol

Thanks
    -Alex

4. Elric

Elric SS.org Regular

Your wish has already been granted: http://shop.fxunits.com/

LeviathanKiller and narad like this.
  5. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

My wish for the future is a PCIE card so we can use this as a plugin. It's too bad Fractal won't release software because of piracy issues. (I completely get why, though)

Elric likes this.
  6. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I have suggested for years that they make Axe-Edit a VST plugin. Keep everything the same, but allow Axe-Edit to also be used on an instrument track with patch saving, controlling the Axe.

7. Elric

Elric SS.org Regular

Yes, agreed. The Axe2 may be my last dedicated hardware modeler would love to have the FAS modeling in the plugin format.

8. Horizongeetar93

Horizongeetar93 maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan

Hey peeps,

I'm having trouble with my Axe unit. I bought it second hand from a forum member a few months ago and for the most part it sounds and functions great...except when I get to high gain tones. No matter what high gain patch I load up, it delivers this great open sound but when I choke/palm mute the instrument I get a really weird (almost digital in nature) sound that is really unpleasant. I have a clip here that illustrates the example in question.

https://soundcloud.com/austin-saman/axe-fx-help

I'm using a PRS SE Mark Holcomb w/ SD alpha/omega's in it going straight into the axe fx. That get's sent into my Focusrite Scarlett 2i4. I've tried other instruments with the same result. The patch is the Misha Rhythm/Lead V18 he uploaded a while back. Firmware is the latest quantum release. Even with headphones, I receive this feedback. Even after swapping cables, same issue. I looked through all of my settings and things seem to be factory default.

I'm not sure if anyone else has had this issue that they were able to resolve, but i've browsed this and many other forums looking for something similar but to no avail. So any kind of tips or troubleshooting tricks would be much appreciated.

-Austin

9. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Have you tried the Axe in a different location other than your house? (I presume thats where it is?)

10. Horizongeetar93

I have not. Are you suggesting that there might be a ground loop issue? I had that once in a different location that i lived at, but the house i live at now does not have this issue with the podhd500 i used before. Though it is worth investigating.

lewis likes this.
  11. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

Turning the master volume in the amp block down tames it a bit. It is really bad in the recto models as of the last few updates, I found turning the 'poweramp hardness' on the advanced tab way up helped a lot, made it much tighter and clearer.

Also, if V18 in that patch name refers to firmware 18, then it's a pretty old patch, like two or three years, and the models have changed a lot since then. You may be better off starting over on a new patch, as even the default advanced settings are different in many amps since back then

Shask likes this.
  12. Horizongeetar93

good points. The issue remains on other "from scratch" patches as well but i'll give the first tip a try and go from there. Thanks!

13. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

Definitely start with a new patch, and start with a default amp. Those old patches probably wont sound good. I also agree to turn down the master. You might need to decrease treble before the amp also by either turning down the tone knob in the OD Drive, or turning off the bright switch, or something, lol. Several ways to do it.

EDIT: Also, since you are running direct, be sure to use your lo and hi cut in the cab block. Lo cut about 80hz, and hi cut 10K - 14K. It will help cut out that extreme fizzy treble.

14. vick1000

vick1000 SS.org Regular

Check you input gate settings, you may want to try a traditional gate. Also check you input/output settings, make sure they are setup for your rig and guitar. The wiki is a big help for a bunch of issues, and the official forum has actual FAS employees that can help.

A factory reset and FW/preset reload may be in order, you will lose any third party patches/IRs though.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/
    http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Axe-Fx_II_Wiki_Home

Also to add to Shask's post above, the speaker resonance freq. may need to be moved around to match the IR you are using, to get better chugging response anyway.

15. mnemonic

The Shred Distortion (Marshall Shredmaster, apparently) does a pretty convincing Heartwork tone when used as a boost. I've put it in front of my recto patch and its really awesome. Way oversaturated and bassy, yet decently tight.

16. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

Back in the day, I have read that Bill would use a Marshall Guv'nor pedal into the green channel of the 5150 back when he first got it. The Guv'nor is basically a Shredmaster without the contour mids, so that doesn't surprise me. :)

17. mnemonic

Cool, I've never tried a guv'nor, but I do remember briefly looking at them way back when I didn't know anything.

I just kinda wrote it off as a blues/rock boost though. Maybe one to keep in mind for the future.

18. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I have been into buying cheap pedals lately, and picked up an old Danelectro Daddy O pedal a few weeks ago. It is suppose to be 99% a Gov'nor clone. It is quite interesting when I am used to Tubescreamer based pedals, but I have found a few interesting sounds into my real Triple Recto. Gives more of a sludgy, thick sound instead of the clear and tight of a 808 type.

mnemonic likes this.
  19. alexanderhelling

alexanderhelling SS.org Regular

I connected The pedal to the Fx Send/Return of the Axe fx and placed the FxLoop Block in front of the Amp/Cab Block. Output Lvl 2 is turned all the way to the right. Then i wanted to reamp my guitars using the Axe Fx as my interface. My problem is that there is no sound from the pedal. i can hear my guitars but my pedal isnt affecting the tone. What am i doing wrong and how can i reamp my guitars using the Precision Drive?

Thanks a lot!

20. mnemonic

I'm still experimenting with my axe fx into my Fryette 2/50/2 poweramp, I've tried with poweramp sims on and the presence/resonance on the 2/50/2 set low or off, as well as poweramp sims off with the presence/resonance set wherever sounds good.

Unsurprisingly, it varies by amp model. The Rectos are what I mainly use and they were just too 'overdone' sounding in the top and bottom end with PA sims on. With the PA sim off, it sounds pretty cool with the presence and depth almost all the way up (which I guess would be similar to a recto poweramp in a way, since modern mode has no negative feedback) but a bit different from a recto, which isn't surprising as a 2/50/2 is a lot different from a recto poweramp, and the poweramp is where a lot of the signature recto sound comes from.

Today I've been messing around further and I really like the sound of the 2/50/2's presence and depth set around noon, but with the high and low res in the axe fx turned down about half way for the recto model (not all the way off, sounds dull and not great that way). This is the best sounding and most natural way to run the recto models I've found so far.