Offical Axe-Fx Q&A thread!

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by JohnIce, Apr 16, 2010.

1. vividox

vividox SS.org Regular

It's really easy for me - I started playing in 2000. Very little math required, haha.

2. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I have played about 30 years... maybe minus a few years when I quit playing regularly when I was in middle school.

3. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I EQ everything, lol. I use EQ pedals with my tube amps, and typically throw an EQ after the amp in almost every digital gear I have owned. I have gotten to the point where I can dial in "my sound" on pretty much anything with enough EQ. 500hz is easy to do with the graphic in the amp block. I just reduce it 3-4db.

Yes, I know he says that you can raise the master higher than on the real amp because of the taper, but it still doesn't sound good to me on most high gain amps. To me it is not really the flubby low end, it is more of the gritty, cardboard sounding mids it adds to the sound. I hate that thuddy, middy sound. This usually only sounds decent to me on lower gain amps, like a Plexi.

I got to play around for a few hours today, and definitely liking the BB Preamp, and FAS Boost. I feel like they are similar, but the BB Preamp is more aggressive, where the FAS Boost is fatter, and cleaner. I have them on XY, and switching them. I do think something about the 808 is not agreeing with me lately. I recently got a PRS SE Custom 24, and I thought maybe that was it since the pickups are way different than any other guitars, but I am starting to think it is that 808. I also set up a preset today with the D60 that sounds pretty killer. Mids, presence, and depth up, cutting some 500hz on the graphic, with a low boost PEQ after the amp. Sounds pretty good and aggressive. Not as fat as my Recto or 5153 presets, but a good solid tighter chunk.

AxeHappy likes this.
  4. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

Good call on the Eternal Love boost, I've never tried that one, nor heard of the pedal its based on. Really tight and metal sounding. I will definitely keep that one in mind.

I also tried dropping the 500hz in the EQ page on the amp, that works pretty good, it does clean up some slight boxiness I'm getting. I'll have to experiment more tomorrow on some fresh ears.

AxeHappy likes this.
  5. mnemonic

After seeing some more clips of that new Fortin Meshuggah amp (cliff pls), and seeing quite a few comments saying it sounds like a Bogner Uberschall, I decided to pull that model up as I haven't used it since around FW17 or something.

Really awesome amp, very thick, huge bottom, very saturated with a boost. I think this amp has cured my Recto lust (as I'm not convinced by the recto models in the current firmware). It sounds saturated to a ridiculous degree to me at the moment, as I've been almost exclusively using the D60 model for a while, which is pretty dry sounding. The Uber doesn't quite have the same punchiness and presence as it is more saturated, but my god, the chuggy palm mutes.

6. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I have been playing with that one also, lol. Last time I was in Guitar Center I heard a guy jamming on a used Uber. I think it was the first time I had ever really sat and listened to one. It sounded pretty amazing. Big and deep, much like the Triple Rectifier I own. I actually came home and found some Youtube videos comparing the Uber and Triple Recto, and was surprised at how similar they sounded. I started playing with the model on the Axe II for a little bit after that. I need to mess with it some more. I also want to mess with the 5153 Blue more, instead of using the Red like I normally do.

mnemonic likes this.
  7. vick1000

vick1000 SS.org Regular

Don't like boxy mids? Switch the power tubes around. Some amp models come alive afterward.

8. Ouroboros11

Ouroboros11 SS.org Regular

I've been using regular studio monitors with my axe fx 2 (KRK VXT6's), and i've been doing more research and found that I should use power speakers or even cabinets. I was wondering if anyone can help me figure out what is the best speaker to use with my axe fx 2 that is good for just jamming at home. Something the size of a 2x12 cabinet.

Thank you!

9. Ouroboros11

Ouroboros11 SS.org Regular

Ignore. Did some deeper research and decided to get an active 1x12 cab

10. mnemonic

I decided to take a run at the Recto models again, as I haven't been able to get a good tone from them for a while, but I also haven't bothered touching the advanced settings, pretty much ever.

I cranked the poweramp hardness up to 10 (apparently it goes to 10 now, last I looked it was a 1 through 5 thing) and turned the poweramp sag down to about 1.5. Then turned the master lower than I usually would, to about 1. This way seems to tighten it up a lot, more like they used to be. They need the 'Cut' switch enabled again now though.

I'm liking the FAS Boost with it, turning the low cut up in the boost if its still too loose.

I can get the master a bit higher in the Recto2 model before the bottom end falls apart, but these models are overall a bit fuzzier (and higher gain) than the Recto1 models. In comparison, the Recto1 models are less fuzzy, clearer sounding, but also take a bit more work to get tight enough. I prefer the Recto1 Red.

11. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

I haven't delved in the advanced settings for months now. Setting up amps is pretty straightforward, you just need the proper cabs for what you want, and finding them can take a long time, just because there are tons available.

LeviathanKiller likes this.
  12. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Just out of curiosity, I'm wondering what Axe-FX players (or ex-players) would improve about the unit. Even though I have an Axe, and probably use it for a majority of my playing (through the poweramp of one of my amps), the thought of going full-on with it just isn't appealing.

One thing I would like improved, and this is even easily doable now, would be to release like a 2/3U rack unit that could sit above/below the Axe in your rack and that's nothing but amp-like controls that behind the scenes was just a fancy midi controller, but pre-mapped to all those controls tucked away in amp block pages, etc. My real amps give me that instant access for small changes, whereas the Axe it always feels like a hassle.

What about you?

13. mnemonic

On a functionally point, I agree with you, I would love physical knobs. I know a company did make a 1u rack unit with eq controls that you could use, but it had no markers so you didn't know what the settings were until you moved a knob. I want one with the ring of LED's around each knob like the AX8 or the Kemper.

Second, I do see some people saying the 'thump' or 'depth' isn't quite 100% there when it comes to the sound of a big, heavy-iron poweramp like big 100w+ high gain heads (recto, etc). I have only used solidstate power so far, though I am looking for a tube poweramp right now to see what I'm missing.

Some of that I'm sure has to do with the 'speaker' page resonance stuff. Since a tube poweramp will interact with the speakers in the cab due to impedence curves or whatever (I'm not sure how it works) but the axe isn't physically connected to the speaker cab so it doesn't know what speakers are being used and what their impedence curves look like. So maybe a special fractal poweramp that can make this measurement, and feed it back to the Axe Fx would be good, if such a thing is possible.

It would be great if we got to a point where the feel was 1:1, since I think everything else is pretty much fine.

14. Lemons

Lemons SS.org Regular

Better user interface. More flashing lights so people are more impressed with my "tone".

Beheroth likes this.
  15. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Arch-Mage of Metal

This all +1. The user interface is a hassle. Takes too long to tweak. And who wants to keep a laptop plugged in to tweak some settings? Might as well keep a roadie on payroll just to run it for me as well then.

16. exo

exo SS.org Regular

Not to be flippant, but: PRICE. I suppose it's honestly more than reasonably priced against both decent tube amps and it's most direct competition, but it's still ENTIRELY out of my price range.

I'd love for these to be less than line 6 HD series cost and allow the manufacturer a 50% margin.......it's not gonna happen, but a man can dream, right?

17. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

I agree with the interface. As much as Cliff complained about the Helix, it was honestly one of my favorite modelers to tweak because of how simple it was to use.

18. mnemonic

I bet the price could come down a lot if they used cheaper DSP (the AX8 shows we can have the same models and most of the same features with lower powered DSP) and if it were made in China rather than the USA, made out of plastic, etc. But I don't think the company is interested in budget gear, as I guess it may dilute the brand, which is known for high end studio quality gear.

Maybe later on in the future if they don't innovate more, or if they sell the company to someone who wants to monetise.

19. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

A plastic, MiC desktop Axe would be killer. Something similar to the POD Bean. An even cheaper version of the AX8 would sell like crazy.

20. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Arch-Mage of Metal

Anyone use the AX8 in place of a midi pedal for channel switching of a midi capable tube amp? Like an Engl, Diezel, etc? Any lag, latency, or other issues?