Offical Axe-Fx Q&A thread!

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by JohnIce, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Thrashman

Thrashman Got Groove?

So I just pulled the trigger on a used Axe II XL that I'm picking up this weekend.

I'm so excited! However, I've never even used an Axe before (I've played through a couple but never actually tweaked one :lol: ) so does anyone know a good online resource as far as learning how to make the most out of it?

I have used various pods throughout the years (2.0, XT, X3, HD) as well as most other devices and gadgets/fidgets/blipblops so I'm not new to the whole modeling thing but the Axe is obviously a different level both sound and feature/tweakability wise

2. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

I've just played through the stock presets, tried some from the Axe-Change, and read the manual when needed and feel like I'm doing pretty well with it. It's not as complicated (for me) as what others have made it out to be but I'm a software engineer so YMMV.

3. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I have never understood why people say it is so hard to use. I question how they exist in their daily life. It is fairly straightforward compared to many other things... especially the old rack units of the 90's I grew up on. I almost always edit on the unit, and really only fire up Axe-Edit when I am doing massive preset grid setups from scratch.

For the most part, ignore all the settings you dont know what they do, and focus on page 1. Learn what the others do over time, one at a time.

AxeHappy likes this.
  4. vividox

vividox SS.org Regular

It's as easy or hard as you make it. If you just want to flip through pre-sets or play other people's sounds you like, it's literally just loading a sound and playing. Or if you want to tweak for days, you'll have every opportunity to do so.

AxeHappy likes this.
  5. ArtDecade

ArtDecade Unhindered by Talent

Ola has some downloads of his tones on the Fractal site for the FX2. Will these work on the new AX8 as well?

6. spilla

spilla SS.org Regular

You should be able to use them if you use fractool. That said they are pretty old patches and since so much has changed since then im not sure how good they will sound now. Still worth trying though.

7. LeviathanKiller

I've tried them and they aren't that bad really. I've tweaked them for my own use after downloading though.

Has anyone bought commercial presets?

8. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

Has anyone used the Fryette Power Station with the Axe FX? If so, I'd love to hear how colored or uncolored the sound is. I've heard people say it's flat response but adds tube punchiness and feel, and others say it's very colored and you need poweramp sims turned off.

I would also be interested in hearing how it compares to FRFR solid state poweramps.

I've got a nice new 2x12 cab coming to replace my junky 1x12, and soon the amplification will also need upgrading.

9. J_Mac

J_Mac SS.org Regular

A post I made a couple of pages back, might be helpful for you. Link here to original post for downloading the attachment.

10. Casper777

Casper777 Slow Player

Hey guys... Just ordered an AX8. Already own a Kemper and planning to play it through the same set up, that is either my Behringer studio monitors (when I want stereo), which are surprisingly good or my Yamaha DXR10.

For fractal what do you usually recommend for both Studio monitors and FRFR powered speakers?

11. Elric

Elric SS.org Regular

Anything that sounds good with your Kemper is going to sound good with your AX8, too, pretty much.

12. Thrashman

Thrashman Got Groove?

So I picked up the Axe FX II XL yesterday - WOW. I can't believe I waited this long, I haven't touched anything and it sounds like pure magic out of the box.

Question: will custom user IR's disappear/have to be reloaded into the unit if I do a factory reset or is there a way to keep them in there?

LeviathanKiller likes this.
  13. NosralTserrof

NosralTserrof SS.org Regular

Hey gang,

I'm looking at the AX8 and I have a question. I'm looking to use the 4CM, but I also want to run a physical OD pedal with it.

Since the 4CM takes up the FX loop, but only one slot, is there any way to use the other half of the FX loop on the AX8 to run a pedal into? So there could be 2 FX loop blocks in the unit, one to footswitch the pedal and one to footswitch out the amp? Hope that makes sense. Willing to give a further explanation if needed.

<3

14. vick1000

vick1000 SS.org Regular

Just put the OD between your guitar and the AX8.

15. LeviathanKiller

Factory reset clears everything user-created. Just make a backup before resetting or export the cabs through Axe-Edit if possible.

16. Selkoid

Selkoid SS.org Regular

I'm trying to figure out if I should take the plunge on buying an Axe FX II. Between my 5150 III 50w, a Diezel 2x12, gates/OD/Tuner its the same price as an axe FX anyway. Does playing direct through a set of monitors sound fine with the axe ii? It would be nice to be able to play at lower volumes and have the effects versatility, but for some reason i'm just hesitant to drop such a large amount of money on a piece of gear. Sell me / stop me? What was the tipping point where you knew you wanted to have the Axe FX vs a regular tube amp setup?

17. LeviathanKiller

Wanted one ever since I heard how good it was in the hands of someone capable of using it properly. I have nothing to say to stop you really.

18. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

My tipping point is that I wasn't gigging and 90% of my playing was bedroom volumes (granted nowadays I can get to window-rattling volumes as I live alone in a detached house so I can do what I want), so it didn't make a lot of sense to me to buy an amp that performed best a high volume, and then never use it in that range. The versatility was cool too, but at the end of the day, I only have like 5 patches that pretty much all sound the same - heavy saturated metal tone.

The Axe FX does sound good going FRFR through some studio monitors, but it is quite a bit different than running a 5150 III through a Diezel 2x12 in the room, even if you use the 5150 III 50w model into an impulse of a Deizel 2x12. This is because all impulses are mic'd up amps, most of which are close-mic'd. This is great for recording, which is their main purpose, but if you play guitar with these impulses, it sounds like a mic'd up guitar. This is great for some things, like gigging. More consistency, no need to mic a cab at the gig. But for playing in my room, I personally prefer the sound of a real guitar cab.

Also, given how many impulses there are in the Axe FX to choose from, and the thousands of aftermarket ones I had downloaded, I spent more time filtering through impulses than playing, so I said fuck it, I'm just gonna get a cab. 90% of the impulses I used were Mesa V30 impulses anyway. Personally I'm really happy running it this way. Running it into a solidstate poweramp and into a guitar cab sounds like an amp in the room, because it is.

Elric likes this.
  19. vick1000

vick1000 SS.org Regular

Yeah, I went back to amp/cab, using my AX8 as pre/FX, and I am much more satisfied.

Just a heads up, if you are using the unit as a pre with an amp that is not a flat response, such as a tube power amp, turn the high and low resonance down to zero in the speaker tab of the amp block. This will eliminate the over exaggerated highs and lows.

20. LeviathanKiller

Just filled my Axe-Fx almost completely up with SinMix cab pack IRs. These things sound freaking great.
    I really want to get the OwnHammer Heavy Hitter's Collection too but I don't have any room at the moment until I sort through these and so many are fantastic so far.
    For under $25, you guys gotta check SinMix's IRs out.