Offical Axe-Fx Q&A thread!

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by JohnIce, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Soopahmahn

Soopahmahn Tu ne cede malis

2. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

Some people swear by the direct out to a FRFR speeaker, but have advised that you need a good one not to gimp your axe fx. Not sure a 500$ speaker will do.

3. JohnIce

JohnIce Singlecoils = tr00

Thank you, good sir! :metal:

I use FRFR monitors in that exact way, although I do most of my tweaking through my studio monitors. The most important thing is that it's got a flat respose, which it should have as FRFR stands for flat response, full-range. But all FRFR speakers aren't totally flat, especially cheaper ones. But I have a pair of Mackie's in that price range that sound fine to me on a loud live-stage.

4. Soopahmahn

What model Mackies? Do you point say one at yourself and one at the rest of the band? How many RMS watts? :metal:

I just found this, could be helpful to others with such questions:
    Fractal Audio Systems • View topic - Buying and using full range speakers: A few basics

5. JohnIce

JohnIce Singlecoils = tr00

6. mattofvengeance

mattofvengeance Team Ibanez

Any of you Axe dudes using an Orange? I'm GASin for one pretty bad.

7. maccayoung

maccayoung SS.org Regular

This is the clip that sold me on how realistic the axe can get. No super saturated effects laden sounds. Just the volume knob and a bit of reverb.

8. Prydogga

Prydogga Giddyup.

Bastard John, jsut as my GAS for the Axe Fx had subsided a little bit, you had to make this damn thread. :squint: Now I MUST get it, but thank you for making me a little less hesitant about going Standard, I'll have plenty of saving time to decide which. :rolleyes:

9. maccayoung

maccayoung SS.org Regular

I'd be interested to know what poweramps (if any) people are using with their axefx. From what I've read most people are going VHT for tube and Art for solid state.

10. Soopahmahn

From the Wiki:
    What is the patch change time for the Axe-Fx?

Preset switching time is around 20-25 ms with delay spillover off. With delay spillover on, it's around 25-30 ms.

So: no.

Maccayoung, people are using all kinds of amps. The two you mentioned are very popular. Carvin, QSC, Crown, and Engl are other popular choices. See the Wiki here.

11. Syrinx

Syrinx SS.org Regular

I'm using a Mesa 2:90 with mine but I'm seriously thinking about selling it to get something smaller and cheaper like the ART.

12. Soopahmahn

The Fractal Wiki has a section on a good trick to emulate the "deep" setting on a 2:90. I'm pretty sure I'm going to order a Carvin DCM1000, 2U instead of 1U but a bit cheaper.

13. JJ Rodriguez

JJ Rodriguez Contributor

Just look at power ratings for you guys buying the DCM power amps. Make SURE you have enough headroom when you connect it to your cab. The DCM1000L seems like it would be a good deal....until you factor in it's only 1000W bridged at 4 ohms. Up that to 8, and it's 700W, up it again to 16 ohm and it's 400W. 400W is getting dangerously close to something I wouldn't want to use to gig/jam with a drummer. I was looking at getting back into using the Axe as a pre-amp again, and looked at the DCM1000L, but my cab is 16 ohm...and I want a minimum 500W headroom (general rule is 5 times the wattage of a tube amp to get the same clean headroom).

400W will do you 90% of the time, but when jamming, I don't want to have it maxed out. If your cab is 8 ohm, 700W is more than enough for anything.

Soopahmahn likes this.
  14. Soopahmahn

That's a good data point man, thanks! :yesway: I've only ever used tube amps - 80-120w is all one ever needs - and I just used 400w as a reasonable number since 300-400 seems to be what most serious solid state heads come equipped with. I have a 2x12 8ohm cab and 700 seems like more than enough. Most FRFR cabs are 8 ohm right?

Anyway that's why I didn't want the SLA-1 or SLA-2, plus the Carvin is a bit cheaper, has a good warranty and reputation and is built in the US instead of China, and I don't want to go with class D (though a 10 lb. amp would be nice...)

15. JJ Rodriguez

JJ Rodriguez Contributor

I'm sure you'd get away with 400W.... I'm just of the mind better safe than sorry. It also has to do with how much it costs to ship stuff to me in Canada, and how much of a pain in the ass it would be to return it for a 1540L, which is what I opted for the first time.

I know 200W wouldn't do me any good. When I got my 1540L and was jamming with my drummer, I had the 1540L up about half way.

16. BrainArt

BrainArt Deftones Guru.

This. :lol: Though, I think I'll still go with an Ultra, because c'mon, Ultra is such a swanky word. :cool:

17. Andii

Andii MAMMALHAMMER

Western NC in a secret lair high on the mountain
    Can you load your own impulses onto these? If so what are the details/requirements/restrictions on that?

I think I remember hearing that there is not usb on these devices. Maybe that was referring to it not acting as an interface like the pod(most likely). What kind of wire is used to connect it to a computer if it isn't USB?

18. TomAwesome

TomAwesome I LIKE JUICE!!!

Yes. It requires trimming it down to 1024 samples (I think) and converting it to the proper format. There's a tool for this that's probably on the wiki.

MIDI

19. Soopahmahn

Ordered my Carvin DCM1000. For the record, they're discontinuing them and will only have the lightweight DCML series Class D amps, so the DCM1000's are on a hefty sale and won't be back.

20. JJ Rodriguez

JJ Rodriguez Contributor

Personally I'd shell out the extra coin for the light weight ones. Nothing beats having a 6u rack case you can carry in one hand. I miss those days, now I have a fucking 82 lbs rack case :lol: