Obscura - New album updates

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by chopeth, Mar 30, 2015.

1. ArtHam

ArtHam SS.org Regular

I can see why. Alkaloid are now coming into their own sound and style. Some people think of them as a tech death band like Obscura because of the 2 "leftover' Obscura songs that were put in Malkuth Grimoire.

Hannes has said in interviews before that they were going to be a different band than Obscura and has after stated on his Facebook account multiple times that there weren't going to be any of the Obscura songs on the new one even though they still have that Imaginative Soul one recorded. I also read he had wished in hindsight that he'd put those songs on his solo record as he didn't want Alkaloid to be associated with the Obscura sound because they have a certain sound formula and blueprint that he doesn't want in Alkaloid and they've deliberately and aggressively shied away from those elements this time. I feel so far they've succeeded spectacularly as they seem to shed the people who only like their Obscura sounding moments and gain lots of fans who like progressive music but not tech death. And they confuse a lot of people because there really are no acts who sound like them.

This Obscura song is more of the same that they've always done with the exception of the terrible transition into the heavy riff at 2:57. That has just got to be the worst shoehorn job I've heard in recent times to get to a different part. The rest of the song sounds sterile, unaggressive and uninspired. Almost as clinical as that last ne obliviscaris record which was, no joke, the biggest letdown of 2017 for me and the main reason for me to cancel my patreon subscription with them.

takotakumi likes this.
  2. ArtHam

ArtHam SS.org Regular

100% agree. Tech death hasn't really progressed in the last 10 years to my ears at all. Even the last Inferi, as solid as it is, has added nothing new to the genre. It's solid, yes. But it's as progressive and as new as oatmeal.

3. ArtHam

ArtHam SS.org Regular

I remember reading on Hannes Facebook or his reaction on someone's question (don't remember exactly) that there's definitely no song like that on the new one. He was going to keep those kind of songs for his solo albums. Alkaloid deliberately wanted to distance themselves from that. Somewhere last year Christian said he didn't write any songs for this album and he seems to steer more and more to the power metal side with Eternity's End.

takotakumi likes this.
  4. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

For diehard fans of tech death like me the Alkaloid attitude bring mixed feelings. I love Alkaloid but on the one hand this guys have the right to distance themselves from tech death and especially from the Obscura approach, but on the other hand such a bunch of overtalented guitar monsters not writing the hardest style in metal music seems like a waste of power. They probably could do Obscura style as in Omnivium times better than nowadays Obscura if they tried as they have already proved. A bit of a paradox.

takotakumi, ArtHam and mikah912 like this.
  5. mikah912

mikah912 SS.org Regular

I totally get that, and I definitely want the genre to continue to actually progress. Alkaloid are absolutely the more adventurous of the two, and I'm excited by that.

I'm simply saying that there was a visceral oomph to this song - as orthodox tech death as it may sound - that I was missing from the the first few Alkaloid singles. Conversely, they have a mastery of dynamics and versatility that Obscura seems to be moving away from.

takotakumi and ArtHam like this.
  6. ArtHam

ArtHam SS.org Regular

I depends on what you define has hardest style I guess. I'm sure none of the Alkaloid guys would say their music is easy or less difficult to play than what they've done before. In fact all of them have been on record as saying that some of the music they do is the hardest they've done.
    I'm fairly confident that covering an Obscura song like this new one is a lot easier than any of the songs Alkaloid released from the new album. If you've seen any Necrophagist or Obscura tab books you'll instantly know how to go about playing that stuff. It of course still requires skill, but you'll at least know where to start. With Azagthoth- where the hell do you even begin?

I'm honestly fanboying over this band too much probably but that's because I'm dead excited by the fact that this group of guys who have innovated the tech death style in a lot of ways are venturing into territory that is quite new. They could obviously easily knock out an album in the Obscura style and possible become the biggest tech death act. But they don't. They do something new. I can't think of any bands that sound like them. If they keep this up they actually could be like Opeth back in the day when everybody latched onto them around Blackwater Park. Before that a lot of people didn't like them because they were too odd. Too unique.

There are quite a few Alkaloid covers and the only one people seem to be able to grasp is the Obscura song Alter Magnitudes, because it's so straight forward. It's fast, but still sounds like a typical tech death song. Every other cover you see is either dead wrong or absolutely horrible, though there are some valiant efforts to be sure. Everybody and their mother seem to be able to cover Obscura songs because they are 'easier' to grasp in that everything they do is eight note and 16th note runs, triplet arpeggios, 4/4 or 6/8 time signatures. All rather run of the mill and rhythmically in guitar parts at least very bland and easy to grasp compared to the intro solo for Azagthoth, outro solo for Chaos Theory and Practice or the main solo for Cthulhu. Those are nigh uncoverable because they are so unique to the persons who played them.
    To draw a parallel with Obscura: Alkaloid is going more towards strange stuff like Aevum and Velocity, both songs that Obscura can't pull off live -though the solo for Velocity wasn't really played for a big part of course- while Obscura are veering more and more towards more straightforward material like Anticosmic Overload and Incarnated. This new song and almost all of Akroasis pretty much underline that.

Neither is wrong of course, but personally I feel the new Obscura song is predictable and unexciting. Competently played but as exciting as mashed potatoes.

All IMHO of course.

Last edited: May 9, 2018
    Tech Wrath, chopeth and takotakumi like this.
  7. ArtHam

ArtHam SS.org Regular

I'm the complete opposite of that. As Decreed by Laws Unwritten and Chaos Theory and Practice made me want to wreck the room while this new Obscura song sounds so unaggressive, undynamic and sterile to my ears. It gives me no oomph at all unlike the beautiful melody that they had in Sermon Of The Seven Suns at 3:27 or the insanely heavy riffs of the outro of Ocean Gateways or the the chorus part of Euclidian Elements and the list goes on and on. Hoping this will still be great, but am doubtful because of this as the lead single. The 4 Alkaloid singles had me on the edge of my seat while this one song just bored me to tears even after listening to it at least 10 times.
    This is not a bad thing of course and there is no right and wrong. I seem to be among the people who are more and more disenchanted by what Obscura do and more and more riveted by what Alkaloid are doing. Mainly because Obscura are sticking to their guns and very 'standard' tech death (with all respect since they popularised this genre for a huge part) while Alkaloid are doing things I have honestly never ever heard anywhere else which is a huge deal for me this being 2018 and me having listened to metal for almost all my life.

Tech Wrath and mikah912 like this.
  8. ArtHam

ArtHam SS.org Regular

There's also another factor I just thought of but I think is true. Hannes and Christian have already had to start again in the tech death style. They went from Necrophagist eventually to Obscura. Obscura never got to be as big as and will never be as big as Necrophagist. But then when they left Obscura they could've continued in the Obscura style but always be smaller than Obscura because the name just means more the the vast majority of fans. I admire and respect that they didn't.

mikah912 likes this.
  9. AliceLG

AliceLG \m/^_^\m/

That's excellent news for people who fucking love mashed potatoes :lol:

On the one hand, you're on point with the difference in approach between Obscura and Alkaloid. On the other hand, this was just the first single. Let's chill and wait.

--

Relájate, vamos a ver que sueltan.

ArtHam likes this.
  10. BIG ND SWEATY

BIG ND SWEATY Edgy

I'll take Obscura over Alkaloid 10 times out of 10 but this new song was boring to listen to. I wish they'd go back to the Cosmogenesis sound/riffing style.

11. Ancestor

Ancestor Contributor

I love that dude's RAN guitar. Good band to have survived 15 years considering how they seemed to keep moving to more challenging music.

12. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

13. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

^Really good!

14. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

How is it? I have the rule of not listening to teasers, better than the previous, worst?

15. NoodleFace

NoodleFace Delicious Noodles

Pretty good. Not ultra technical but solid. Reminds me a lot of older obscura

16. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

I like this more than the last. Its more toned down, especially the solo.

17. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

18. oracles

oracles Australian in Canada

The tone for the newest stuff is absolute garbage. I know tech death isn't exactly renowned for having great guitar tones, but this new stuff is so thin and brittle, I can't stand it. As far as the material itself, it strikes me as being a watered down version of themselves. There's nothing particularly exciting about it, it just sounds like generic Obscura.

19. Dwellingers

Dwellingers SS.org Regular

Agreed - not really excited at all.

20. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire Contributor

I actually like the guitar tones. I think what's really letting it down is that bass tone - It's adding absolutely zero bottom end.

mikah912 likes this.