Obscura - New album updates

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by chopeth, Mar 30, 2015.

1. NaYoN

NaYoN Heavy Blog Is Heavy

Hey, since everyone is sick of all the drama, here's some more drama :p

Tom contacted me with an official statement as a press release, and I think it's fair that his voice is heard. He's provided some more evidence as to why he thinks he is wronged and such. I mostly agree with ArtHam, but I think it's also excessive that Tom's profile is blocked. As such, here's the statement: (it's way too long to copy paste here)

Tom “Fountainhead” Geldschlager’s Statement On Obscura Dispute – Heavy Blog Is Heavy

2. anomynous

anomynous SS.org Regular

Not going to lie, David Davidson with Obscura would be sick.

3. bloc

bloc tha vagina finda

No way, Revocation kills Obscura any day of the week.

Plus, I don't want DD eventually getting involved in any drama. The man deserves to be at peace :hbang:

drmosh likes this.
  4. anomynous

anomynous SS.org Regular

I meant just for the tour last year, like was stated in the email in the article.

5. ArtHam

ArtHam SS.org Regular

I am a skeptic. And I know full well that both parties have their own agendas.
    The things I get from this and the only things that matter for me are:

1) Tom didn't write out his solos so all solos in the Akroasis book are wrong. Glad I didn't get it. I can see why he didn't want to invest any time in transcribing it anymore and I understand Obscura wanted to deliver a book because it was in the preorder, but this still sucks. All I see is: they paid him money to transcribe his parts but never specified all details what he had to do for it, so he didn't do the solos. Doesn't sit right with me.

2) As somebody on the article mentioned Tom's student is to blame for this whole business being brought back to the public. Either Tom asked him on to do it or this kid is just plain stupid. He re-posted the Geldschlager video with an obvious challenge to the band, Obscura posted a statement and subsequently got Geldschlager blocked from his pages. Must be nice to have fans like that.
    If Tom's asking fans to get involved in this drama I can see why the band would go straight to the root of the problem and have him banned, but it's still not cool they did it.

3) The statement, as candid as it is, never mentions why he got fired from the band. Though I wonder why it should be illegal to dismiss him. He was last to join and was in the band for, what, a few months? Since when does the 'new guy' get a hold on a band legally? If that were the case then the whole Arch Enemy dismissing that one guy who played on the album to get Jeff Loomis thing would've gone a lot different.
    Disputes like this never start for no reason, so I'm becoming more and more curious as to what actually happened here. Seeing how bitter this thing is getting maybe he did sleep with one of the band members girlfriends/whatever?

4) that whole percentages bit bothers me. I wondered about this myself and talked to a musician friend of mine a few months ago and from what I remember (and I am not an authority on this) 50% for a song's credit is music, 50 % is lyrics. I think it also says so in the screenshots, but my german is very shaky. If my math is right then contributing one part and some arranging ideas to a song with about 20 parts then getting 6.67 % seems about right. It's stingy, but I don't think you can ask for a lot more considering you'll have to appease the other members who actually wrote the riffs.

5) Just playing on a song doesn't give you rights to more songwriting credits. If that would be the case now studio musicians like Steve Lukather would be the richest people on earth. So I don't get why it's important to list what he plays.

On a whole it seems like there are a hand full of die hard Geldschlager fans who are making way more of this then it actually is, badmouthing the guy who replaced him and make it seem like a huge deal and in turn making obscura take more and more drastic measures. I don't think I've seen things get so sour before. I wonder how much worse it gets.
    Either way, both parties are in the wrong for making this matter public. But the damage is already done. I wonder if it wouldn't have been better for both parties if they'd just parted ways like actual professional people do: behind closed doors.

What everyone seems to forget is that this is the internet. Neither party will ever give in. If they want there to be 'justice' for either party they'll need to get legal action. In the end it's death metal though and that means the legal costs would outrun any profit for an album that, in this day and age, would maybe sell 10000 copies world wide. SO that's not happening either.

6. Necropitated

Necropitated SS.org Regular

Hey guys, not taking part in any discussions here, since I'm actually a small part of that story. Just here to share my cover of the solo section of Akroasis. Didn't transcribe this one myself this time, so credit goes to Tom for his transcription. I still changed some fingerings because I find some of his really uncomfortable.

7. sezna

sezna undermotivated

Dang, some of us like drama...what a tease.

but on for real, that was some darn clean playing. nice job. how long did that take you to get down?

8. Necropitated

Necropitated SS.org Regular

Well, there had to be a person who told Tom about Obscura looking for a new guitar player, while he was still in the band.

To the other question: That one took a while. I practiced it for 2 days before recording. With "took a while" I mean I did 400 takes in total including the practice takes....

9. anomynous

anomynous SS.org Regular

Can't wait for Akroasis 2: Drama Boogaloo

10. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

Hey guys, new Obscura guitar playthrough for Ten Sepiroth. :metal:

A little weird but I'd like to note that in the video, Rafael is playing the first solo/fill (0:22-0:32) but in the official guitar tablature book, Steffen is credited with the solo. :scratch:

11. takotakumi

takotakumi SS.org Regular

Steffen credits himself with lots of Obscura stuff but nevertheless its always someone else like Fountainhead in this case, and Hannes and Muenzner for most of the grand Omnivium stuff.

There is absolute no way he came up with that, its Tom's style 300% all the way. This is another of the factors that resulted in that dispute between Tom and Steffen earlier this year...

As to why they changed the Guitar solo (0:22-0:32 is more a lead melody/riff even tough hard AF to play which could be considered a mini solo hehe) I would say that besides being extremely hard to play, that initial lead is what makes that particular song memorable and would definitively not be same without it, whereas the solo not so much I would say (even though I think its good), but the many repetitions of that lead throughout the song make it hard to forget...

sorry for the mini rant :p

12. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

It is awesome sounding. The next Obscura song I was gonna learn was Perpetual infinity but then the band made the first video for Ten Sep and I was like, "oh damn, might have to learn that first solo". :agreed:

13. shredmatters

shredmatters SS.org Regular

Like that?

14. shredmatters

pretty green.

15. shredmatters

16. shredmatters

17. drmosh

drmosh Sir Paul of the Mosh Contributor

You're 100% totally spot on

18. takotakumi

takotakumi SS.org Regular

They just teased something on their FB
    Live on Fb Oct 1

Then added the hashtags #thefinal #theend #theendiscoming

I guess the last album/conclusion to the 4 album series?hmmmmmm

chopeth and Rosal76 like this.
  19. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

Really excited about this. Can't wait to hear what they have in store. :agreed:

20. Tech Wrath

Tech Wrath SS.org Regular

New material? Better not let me down /: