Obscura - New album updates

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by chopeth, Mar 30, 2015.

1. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

freaking genious :bowdown:

2. anomynous

anomynous SS.org Regular

3. Thorerges

Thorerges SS.org Regular

4. Thorerges

Thorerges SS.org Regular

Oh I saw the post Obscura released. What was this in response to? Also, Tom left a band - why is this still an issue?

5. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

~Concerning rumors about former guitarist Tom Geldschläger~
    To clear up rumors each member of the band faces these days, Obscura would like to speak out some facts about the departure of former guitarist Tom Geldschläger.
    During the production of “Akroasis” the band decided not to work with Tom Geldschläger (“Fountainhead”) anymore due to professional, musical and personal reasons.
    Those reasons led to a delay of the recording process and an immense gain of production costs.
    When Steffen Kummerer released Tom Geldschläger from his duties on the phone (with the band and producer present), it was agreed that Tom Geldschläger gets correct credits for his contributions. Every band member was involved in the songwriting of almost every track – the main composers of each track are mentioned in the booklet of the album. He is correctly mentioned for co-arranging with the rest of the band and for writing a grand portion of the song “Weltseele”. Before the official press release of a first teaser representing “Akroasis”, Tom Geldschläger was contacted to get notice that the new lineup will be announced alongside the first press release of a new album.
    Obscura stick to the given word and pay royalities and mechanicals as agreed through a publishing deal, signed by all parties. Tom Geldschläger got paid in full writing his contributions for an official guitar tablature book while his parts got never delivered. In addition, Tom Geldschläger tried to publish notations of the music through several portals only Relapse Records and Obscura as licenser have, as part of the signed contract, a right to distribute. Tom Geldschläger caused all blocked content himself by violations against contracts that he agreed to (for example using parts of original STEMS of different albums in video format).
    After Tom Geldschläger's 8 month in the band he already mentioned to plan a reputational damage against the band. In our perspective he is manipulating people with wrong facts in a very unprofessional, personal and emotional way. We are very happy that a lot of fans were sending messages to hear the other side of the story as we originally decided not to speak about this topic in public anymore. His recent defamations are the reasons why we feel forced to publish these facts.
    We are very thankful for his musical contribution to “Akroasis” and we hope he will stop taking an inappropriate and undignified role of a victim so he can raise attention again with what we all love most: music.
    Sincerely,
    Steffen Kummerer & Linus Klausenitzer

6. ArtHam

ArtHam SS.org Regular

As much as it pains me to realise this and I don't want to condone Kummerer's actions here it seems a legitimate reaction to Geldschlager's actions. He has consistently kept bringing the whole issue up all over the internet.
    It's honestly like every other post is about him being let go from Obscura. At first I was on his side, but after reading and hearing about literally a thousand times from only his side it just feels so unprofessional. Almost like went through a breakup with his girlfriend and now needs to 'educate the world on how evil she is'.
    Seriously.
    Every damn time. 'not to look unprofessional, but'. :scream: And then try to pass it off as if he doesn't really care. Which he obviously does.

As ....ty as the situation must've been, but being professional means not bringing up all the time. Not saying Obscura are right in this and I think the collaboration between the parties didn't work since I don't like Akroasis at all. It's just silly. And now, almost a full year later, this is still being brought up as if it were a big deal. Way to keep hanging on to the negativity. :noplease:

Sad to see Obscura stooping to that level now too, but I kind of get it.

Once again: not saying either party is right. To me both are completely wrong and unprofessional. This kind of childish finger pointing and 'he started it - no he started it' bull.... is has no place in the world of grown-ups. Back to kindergarten, kids.

7. ArtHam

ArtHam SS.org Regular

I think it's because Geldschläger has shared material he doesn't own the copyright to with fans and has called on them to share it all over the internet.
    It seems he got paid for notations of his solos and riffs but never delivered them. Then he released them on his site for free.
    And then again because Tom seems to bring it up at least once a week himself.

8. Fountainhead

Fountainhead SS.org Regular

Hey guys,

the actual reason Obscura posted that is the fact that Steffen Kummerer has been harassing me on facebook for weeks and had my facebook account closed by reporting copyright infringement on any post I did, censoring anybody speaking up against it on the Obscura page in the process. Apparently he got scared that the public would get word on it (which it will) so he tried to act first by issuing that statement on their page. After one year of people asking for it, I posted one (1!!!) video of myself playing a part I have written & performed and (according to band, read the post!) I´m now all of a sudden rightfully credited for - which in reality means that I am one of the rightsholders and get a share of the publishing. Same rules apply to everybody who worked on Akroasis in that regard, but somehow there´s bass and drum playthroughs and music videos using the same stems , but I´m not allowed to do anything. Also, I´m apparently the only one on the internet who´s not allowed to transcribe and upload Obscura stuff (just check ultimate guitar), simply BECAUSE I am the one who played that stuff on the album in the first place. Doesn´t that struck you as odd and contradictory? It´s because they´re afraid that it will make people realize that what´s in the tabbook isn´t correct. Which it did - you know what happened to people who were asking about the tabbook´s quality? they got blocked and their posts got deleted - that´s censorship. And then Kummerer goes on a killing spree having me banned from facebook even though I didn´t even post anything Obscura related since the last attack and all of the files and posts (other people´s posts too, he´s not stopping with me) have been deleted - yet he continues attacks me and takes down my facebook - INCLUDING my artist page and suddenly posts this lengthy rand not even mentioning what´s happening and WHY there´s "rumours" about the band - now who´s the agressor here and who´s playing the victim?
    Btw: their post is filled to the brim with half-truths and "weaseling-out" of issues that they´ve created themself.
    A band that´s been around for almost 20 years and signed to one of the major metal labels is actually making a post like that without backing up ANYTHING they say in it? And the post isn´t even mentioning the facebook-takedown in a sad attempt to influence public opinion before this issue gets to the press.

Now, whoever is speaking out here on behalf of Obscura might wanna actually get their facts straight, go to my facebook page and check how much "obscura-bashing" there actually is before you jump to such a conclusion. I´m quite shocked that I even need to defend myself here after a guy in an ESTABLISHED band has the audacity to give 150+ interviews slamming somebody who just helped him make an album for no reason other than spite and false sense of entitlement. Rockhard magazine, him claiming he and their new guitar player wrote "Weltseele" - that´s fraud. Londonmetalmonthly, him claiming he re-recorded 80% of my tracks, claiming I had mental issues and couldn´t even tune my guitar - that´s him trying to ruining somebody´s career, who´s just helped giving him an album to promote and to tour and to make money off. Metalwani.com, him sending out a press-release that´s suggesting somebody else played on the album he just sent in for review - that´s manipuling public opinion. And that´s just the tip of the iceboerg. I´m sorry if you feel offended by the fact that a band you like has issues, but are you really blaming me for defending myself after UNPROVOKED attacks by somebody who has a 10x bigger audience and would actually have zero reason to even lash out in the first place? Especially in 2016 where "Akroasis" is one of 3 (!) albums I´m releasing or co-releasing in the span of 6 months - where were you when I was promoting all that other stuff? Remember that one(!!!!!) interview I gave on the issue, speaking out my side of the story? That´s only because londonmetalmonthly ASKED me to do it, as a reaction to Steffen´s own interview which attacked me in at every step of the way. There´s proof for all of this (screenshots, scans, all the interviews being freely available...), while he goes around claiming stuff without ever showing proof for it. And I´m supposed to defend myself while my lifelyhood is at stake just because somebody is annoyed at this being out in the open - maybe imagine just for a second how annoyed YOU would be if you spend a year of your life working on somethinh, then somebody else is trying to take the credit, is out to hurt your career for no apparent reason other than spite, somebody who thinks he can just get away with it because he´s got the bigger audience.
    And yes I do care. You think not caring about your work and your lifelyhood is cool? alright, give me the password to your facebook account and your band´s account, I´ll have it all taken down just because you don´t agree with me. See me point?

There´s gonna be in indepth reaction to Obscura´s post later on where I´ll go into the details of the post. but just so you know: claiming that I got paid for the notation of the solos and am now trying to make profit of it is complete and utter bull.....

9. ArtHam

ArtHam SS.org Regular

Claiming that you've been professional about the whole issue is stretching the truth a lot. This thread and forum alone is filled with 'they did this, they did that'. None of which I ever saw them do until you started slinging mud. I understood it though. I'd be severely hurt if my band would pull something like that. I understand you defend yourself, but with that same reasoning I understand they will defend themselves. It's the internet. You'll never get 'justice'.

What we have here is simple: one party says this, the other says that. Both call each other liars. No way for ANYONE to know where the truth is. I suspect it's, as almost always, a little of both.

I'm also not speaking on behalf of the band, nor did I, I think a was very clear there. I think what they did here sucks just as much. Kummerer comes off as a very unpleasant person, but you're not looking a lot better. Both of you have personal and professional issues with each other, but as a mere spectator I can only conclude: this whole affair is just one big unprofessional cluster.... and all of you are behaving like children. None of you are choosing the high road and you're just keeping all the negativity alive. The both of you are making that Cynic thing from last year look like peanuts. Guess what, this kind of thing happens with almost every other band out there. But only a very small percentage turns it into a pissing contest. You and Obscura are doing just that. And both parties look like gigantic idiots.

In the end nobody wins. You're never going to win this argument with them, they are never going to win this argument with you. All your careers will suffer because this .... will stay on the internet forever and will forever be brought up in connection with this. Their fans will side with them, your fans will side with you. Nobody wins. Everybody will draw their own conclusions. My conclusion would be: Obscura sucks for doing this to you, but there has to be a reason they fired you. It's certainly not your playing or compositional skills. As much as Hannes and Christian hate Steffen they left the band yet you were fired. That still means Obscura/Kummerer are douchebags for doing that, but there's no way in hell you got fired because they thought you too good a guitar player or were a nice guy. Before Obscura nobody knew who you were but now you're on one of their albums and have had some exposure. Run with it. Do your thing.

Once again: not saying Obscura are right. Because they suck for firing you over the phone. It has given everything a bad taste. I couldn't get into akroasis at all but now I'll probably never listen to it again. It's bad that happened to you. But, really. I'm a software engineer. Do you have any idea how that business is run? That stuff happens to people everywhere on a daily basis. I've had that happen to me. Working on a project for 3+ years and then getting shuffled off/promoted to another project and somebody else taking over where I left off for a few months to a finished project and getting equal credit. It happens in lots and lots of bands, too. Isn't there some point where you go '.... it' get on with life. Didn't this whole thing start up again when you started spreading those tabs for free? It's not like you didn't know how they felt about it.

And I don't think anybody claimed you were making profit from the tabs, but that you got paid up front, didn't deliver and were now giving them away for free and accepting donations. The giving away part and accepting donations is true. I don't know if you got paid, but you are giving them away for free. While that is fine you must've known there'd be a reaction. And to be honest: the tab book for omnivium was so full of mistakes I never even bothered getting the akroasis book. And I'm glad I didn't.

For me Obscura is a lost cause, but I hoped you were over this petty nonsense. That being said while I didn't like most of the things you did on akroasis I really liked the solo you did on the new Hannes Grossmann song.

10. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

ah, I can't fcking believe it, not again. Are all the solos wrong? I shouldn't have bought it :(

11. ArtHam

ArtHam SS.org Regular

I feel your pain. I had that when I got the Omnivium book and the first thing I saw was a mistake. And then another. That book was a disaster. I don't believe for a second the new one is better.

12. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger Contributor

All this drama has really put me off the band. I haven't even checked out the new album yet.

13. takotakumi

takotakumi SS.org Regular

...in other news

My friend Eetu just released this video covering the solo from "Imaginative Soul", which was a song that was supposed to be on the new Obscura album but will instead be on the new Alkaloid one.

Guy even added the tab:eek:

Yes, this is the crazy guy that covered the Cthulhu solo, Fountainhead's solo from the new Hannes songs...Eetu ripss

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VB4bWO_F5mQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

https://youtu.be/VB4bWO_F5mQ

14. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

But they fixed it, they even sent a free (less quality) omnivium book for those like us who bought the flawed one. I thought Steffen had learned from that and would never do that again

15. ArtHam

ArtHam SS.org Regular

I don't think he did. The last word is that Tom didn't send them the correct tabs so they just tried to notate themselves. Don't know why but probably because everybody was pushing for tab books. So now he's releasing them for free himself. Don't know what's up with that since Tom is only mentioning all the things they did to him, but logic dictates he got fired for a reason. If there's any truth to him not delivering his tabs he's not entirely innocent in this.

I hope it's something spectacular like Richie Kotzen/Poison where Richie got fired for having sex with the bass player's wife or something similar.

If I'm honest both parties can just go .... themselves.
    I can't believe how I went from being a super fan of this band to now being sick of them and their drama. :realmad:

16. sezna

sezna undermotivated

Am I still allowed to like their music? :ugh::ugh:

17. ArtHam

ArtHam SS.org Regular

What it strikes me as is: you didn't want to be involved in the tab book but now want to upload your transcriptions to the internet for free to show everyone that the book you didn't want to be involved with is incorrect.

Very professional.

I don't know how it works for you, but in my line of work (software programming) companies have very strict rules about that kind of stuff that are strictly enforced. I imagine the music business has similar rules. Looks like that's what happened to you.

I don't know. I feel bad for the way you got fired. And I think you're a great musician and you work with other great musicians. And I hope you'll get some closure.

18. MFB

MFB ExBendable

While I was never a superfan, I'm certainly in the same boat. I considered them one of the top technical-DM bands when Cosmogenesis came out, and Omnivium is great - I just keep forgetting it exists because I've been fairly out of the metal loop.

But now I see this after all the talk of a new album, and it makes me want no association with it.

19. MrPepperoniNipples

MrPepperoniNipples SS.org Regular

I don't give two ....s about Fountainhead and Steffen's nonsensical drama. Regardless of who is right or wrong, I am tired of hearing about it. I understand Fountainhead's frustration, and I think it is in the right, but he wasn't kicked out of the band for no reason.

The thing that really irks me about this is that it not only damages Steffen's reputation, but Obscura's as well. That includes 3 amazing musicians that play alongside Steffen. Sebastian, Linus, and (probably more so than anyone else) Rafael have been put in a lame situation.

More than anything else, I cannot stand people taking out their personal frustrations with Steffen on Rafael. I think the constant bickering between both parties just makes this worse.

I would love more than anything for Tom to call out the fans of his about their negativity in regards to him. Rafael is a great player who is getting a lot of shhit because of some (in my opinion) dumb, mindless facebook keyboard warriors. Personally, I enjoy Rafael's approach to the solos much more than Tom's, but it looks like I am alone in that.

20. Double A

Double A Subhuman

Honestly, both parties need to understand that the fans just don't care about this type of .... and they are only hurting themselves by doing this .... in public. Just move on.

Saying that, I love Akroasis to pieces and I am adult enough to remove all of the petty bull.... going on when I listen to music so none of this effects my enjoyment at all. Honestly when I listen to music the last thing I even think about is the people playing it, it is like reading a book, anything that takes me outside of my experience of reading makes me realize I am reading and I have to stop, so... I just ignore all of this .....