Obscura - New album updates

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by chopeth, Mar 30, 2015.

1. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

"We´re less than a month away from entering the studio to record the fourth Obscura album, the first one for Sebastian Lanser, Linus Klausenitzer and myself. Ever since the new line-up has been announced, each of us has gotten a lot of questions about how the new material will sound, especially wether it´s gonna be more straight-up death metal, more prog, or something else entirely... So here´s our answer: it´s all of the above!

Steffen and Linus have penned the majority of the material so far. There´re shorter, catchier tunes based on Steffen´s signature riffing and lots of blast beats, which we expect to work great during the upcoming live shows. But the arrangements, which we all worked on together, also made sure there´s more dynamics, more intricacies like polymetrics, different layers of guitars and some new approaches to soloing.

I on the other hand, made it my mission to contribute something that builds on and extends the sound of the band´s previous album : very complex, dark and (for lack of better words) "prog". The result is the longest and compositionally most ambitious song in the history of the band - a 15 minute epic featuring (another first for the band) a string section and my signature fretless guitar work. We´re definitely excited to finally enter the studio and share the new music with all of you - stay tuned for more updates during the coming weeks!" - Tom Geldschläger

More details on the band's upcoming album will be announced shortly

TheHandOfStone and OmegaSlayer like this.
  2. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

I got the Email too. I'm excited. :yesway:

Chopeth, did you get the Email from Steffen Kummerer about him sending the Omnivium reprinted tab books with the corrections? He sent the books out a few days ago. :metal:

3. Thorerges

Thorerges SS.org Regular

Really stoked about this. For me Omnivium was a tremendous record, albeit with a little less dynamics than I would have hoped. Alkaloid was an incredible record, and Morean offers more clean vocals and leads than Steffen, so I am really curious to see if Obscura can one-up them with a masterpiece.

4. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

Yes, mate :metal:

I love all this healthy musical competence between both bands (even if it's only in my mind). I think it'll keep on providing us fans with pure gems. Long live Obscura and Alkaloid. :bowdown:

5. Thorerges

Thorerges SS.org Regular

Amazing musicians for sure, however I am very skeptical of Alkaloid. Obscura are a young band, I don't think anyone in that band has past 35, Alkaloid however have some old dogs who have been part of huge bands before. Morean is 44 (even though he looks 30), and is a main songwriter for the band. Don't get me wrong, he is a super talent but you cannot tour forever, especially since the dividends are non-existent. To establish themselves, Alkaloid guys will have to tour a lot, something I don't know such experienced members will be willing to put up with. Tunker reaffirmed this and told me he has no idea what the future of the band is like, which is not necessarily a good thing.

Don't get me wrong, I would want nothing more than to see Alkaloid as a fully well respected and globally recognized name in 10 years - but seeing the circumstances of the members, it might be a little difficult. Hopefully they can do some touring and record 2 or 3 more records, though.

Also, I am a huge fan of Chris and Tunker - they're guitar leads on the Alkaloid record blew my mind and for me, this is their best work so far.

Obscura however is definitely becoming a bigger band. They're all youngish guys who came from small time projects before and with Obscura, and now they're making the big stage. Not to mention, they have a very decent following and are pretty much atop the technical death metal scene despite being somewhat inactive for 4 years now. Also, they're coming to summer slaughter in the US, which is a very, very good move because they'll be supporting some pretty big bands like Lamb of God.

Overall death metal has been very stagnant within the last 5 - 6 years, and besides a few projects here and there - it has been about playing faster and/or replicating previous efforts from the 90's. Obscura and Alkaloid are amongst a handful of bands who I feel are pushing the genre forward.

6. Necropitated

Necropitated SS.org Regular

Obscura are not as young as you think, they are all over 30 except Linus I think. I mean, half of Alkaloid was in Obscura. Interestingly, most of the bigger german musicians in that scene are all that age, just noticed that recently.
    And what you're forgetting, Obscura are already quite big in europe.

7. Thorerges

Thorerges SS.org Regular

Steffen is 29, and Linus is 30. Regardless, Obscura don't have a frontman who has done so much that it might be too late for him. Who is going to keep rocking like that until 50?

8. vm27

vm27 SS.org Regular

You don't want a new Necrophagist album?

9. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger Contributor

The new guitarist plays a fretless and they've gone back to 6 strings right?

10. Fountainhead

Fountainhead SS.org Regular

Guys, please stop it with the Alkaloid vs. Obscura stuff. There´s no competition or "one-up-manship". Very different bands with very different dynamics, which are both trying to make the best possible record under their respective circumstances, that´s it. I can see why people would like to see it as some kind of "duel" or rival gang-type thing, but it really isn´t. Especially from my view, where Chris and Hannes (and of course Linus, who´s now my bandmate in Obscura) are good friends and outspoken supporters of my work (and vice versa), there´s no competitive thinking whatsoever, only mutual respect.

The alkaloid album is ....ing awesome, btw and I´m looking forward to anything they´ll come up with in the future!

11. Fountainhead

not quite. Steffen doesn´t write much on 7string, but there´s gonna be plenty of 7 on the record, 7 fretted and 7 fretless :)

12. Thorerges

Thorerges SS.org Regular

Excellent news Fountainhead, really cannot wait for this record now! I read your post about a 15 minute epic, I seriously cannot wait for it.

Please do not mistake my comparisons between Alkaloid and Obscura as being anything more than just expressing the differences. I am a huge fan of both bands (and your solo work, which Muenzner compared to Steve Vai - which is huge), hopefully I will see you guys in America soon.

13. Fountainhead

Well, nothing´s confirmed ATM, but we´re planning to come to the states both this year and next year, so hopefully we´ll indeed get to see you very soon! :)

14. Thorerges

Thorerges SS.org Regular

There have been rumors that Summer Slaughter will have you guys. It would be incredible if that happens, fingers crossed!

15. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger Contributor

Awesome! The fretless 7 is going to be very interesting.

16. Thorerges

Thorerges SS.org Regular

Yea I thought the same thing. Can't wait to hear this record.

17. travis bickle

travis bickle SS.org Regular

super ....ing stoked!! cant wait to hear what you cats have in store for us. im a huge fan of both obscura and alkaloid. whats better than having 2 imcredible bands pushing the boundaries of extreme music?

18. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

That's the point! :hbang:

19. travis bickle

travis bickle SS.org Regular

absolutely!!!! we're all anxiously awaiting your output, in the interim im waiting for omnivium on lp to arrive. :shred:

20. Fountainhead