Obama made Glenn Beck "a better man"

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by HeHasTheJazzHands, Nov 9, 2016.

1. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

On a more light-hearted topic, I thought this was interesting...

Seems like Donald Trump made Glenn Beck realize how ....ing crazy the alt-right can be, and he seems to be leaning a lot more liberal these days... Praising Michelle Obama's recent speeches, supporting Black Lives Matter, and even praising the president he once hated.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...016/11/07/beck-new-yorker-interview/93453742/

We'll have to see how far he goes under a Trump presidency, though.

tacotiklah, TheHandOfStone and Edika like this.
  2. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

Having seen what Beck has spewed out of his mouth the last 8 years that is a surprise. I wonder if the next step would be to actually comprehend his role in fueling the alt-right movement to what it has become.

3. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

Just a strange way of acknowledging how his bread gets buttered, perhaps. 8 years of the opposing party in the White House has been nothing but good for business.

Next up is at least two years (if Dems want to be optimistic about midterms but... eh) of a Republican congress, WH, and likely a right-leaning Supreme Court- what's a conservative pundit going to do all day, agree with everything? A good hedge is to show some sympathies for the other side and so in the event they become the angry group of people who want to watch an angry person say things they like- boom, he's there.

4. feraledge

feraledge Black Walnut Pounding Bragger Contributor

Maybe Beck was just getting blasted on chalk dust all those years at Fox. Dust bender.

5. AngstRiddenDreams

AngstRiddenDreams Filthy Casual

This is him talking about how at the height of his career with Fox, while he had millions of viewers he was experience major neurological problems.

"We didn't know at the time what was causing me to feel as though, out of nowhere, my hands or feet or arms and legs would feel like someone had just crushed them or set them on fire or pushed broken glass into my feet," Beck said. "I can't tell you how many nights my wife would sit in the light, looking at the bottom of my feet to make sure that there really wasn't any glass in it."
    At times crying, Beck explained how he has visited various doctors who were unable to figure out what was wrong. He's also experienced sleep problems, which at first allowed him to function with just two to four hours of shut-eye per night. "Quite honestly this isn't a symptom that you look to fix," Beck said. "If you have a ton to do, you're like, 'I don't need sleep this is great.'"
    However, doctors told him he hadn't had any REM sleep in about a decade.
    Beck detailed his health problems during a filmed broadcast shown Monday night, saying that his troubles began while he worked for Fox News and they “quite honestly made me look crazy”. He described the first symptom as a “time collapse”, saying he lost the ability to connect memories and facts. “I then began to lose names and faces … entire conversations would go away.”
    Beck went through a battery of tests, including one for traumatic brain injury. "I did so poorly on this test the doctors shared the results with my wife and not me. I never wanted to see the results," Beck said. "I knew I was functioning at about the bottom 10 percent. I knew when I couldn't figure out simple math problems or remember a series of words I was in real trouble."

6. Randy

Randy Ooh, Degrasse Tyson-son Super Moderator

7. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

:rofl:

"Indiana Pale Ales."

8. celticelk

celticelk Enflamed with prayer

That's how you know he's a plant. We've all moved on to small-batch meads by now. :lol:

9. CapnForsaggio

CapnForsaggio Cap'n (general)

And now he's more liberal.... What is the point of this thread again? :)

10. HeHasTheJazzHands

That he probably found some help? :lol:

By the sounds of it, the dude was driven to paranoia because of his mental disabilities and mental exhaustion. I'm guessing he's finally getting the help he needed?

11. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

..... I, no joke, finished off a bottle of locally brewed small batch mead after I ran out of scotch on election night. Turns out it mixed pretty well with bourbon, as kind of a riff on a manhattan. :lol:

12. CapnForsaggio

You could say that, or the opposite: That he finally parted ways with reality and became a liberal :)

13. HeHasTheJazzHands

Obama being the Antichrist doesn't exactly sound like reality to me.

14. AngstRiddenDreams

I've seen this too much from Trump supporters. "Oh this person or information proves something negative of Trump or the alt-right. They/it must be delusional or biased"

15. HeHasTheJazzHands

And even Glenn said he's been having trouble for years. So, as I said before, his mental instabilities could be the reason he was an insane, over-emotional nutcase. Now he's possibly finding the help he needs, or Trump's/the alt right's hatred and insanity made him realize how terrible his own opinions were and he decided to overcome that and become a changed man.

It's obviously ....ty how he helped brew the tea party and the alt-right's hatred, but I'm willing to give him props if he finally realizes how ....ty those viewpoints were, and he's willing to make amends. I mean, he ....ing supports Black Lives Matter now, a movement most alt righters (and possibly CapnForsaggio) view as a terrorist group.

16. celticelk

I'm seeing more and more people on the right simply refusing to accept that anything coming out of "the mainstream media" (which seems to mean anything with an editorial slant to the left of Fox News) could possibly be trustworthy. This is a serious problem. It's one thing to say that, of the NYT's opinion columnists, you like Ross Douthat and abhor Paul Krugman (or vice versa); it's another to say that the most prestigious newspapers in the country can't be trusted on reporting of basic facts. I don't know how we even engage with people operating in this frame of mind.

17. CapnForsaggio

In their defense, your MSM media outlets had Hillary at 98% chance of winning at 7pm on election night.

No one can say that this was the result of willful untruth, head in the sand optimism, or just stupidity.

But does it matter? The MSM lost most of its remaining credibility in the last year. THIS is the reason that "fake news" has gained traction.

'If everyone is lying to you, listen to the lies you like.'

18. celticelk

^^^ I get my forecasts from FiveThirtyEight, which gave Trump a substantially higher chance of winning and could explain how their model was likely to fail, if it failed. That's really not relevant, though. The lack of substantive evidence for your "if everyone is lying to you..." position is a much bigger concern. It seems to me more like the position is "if they're not telling you something you like, they're lying to you," based entirely on the fact that someone else *is* telling you something you like, whether that someone else is a more credible source or not.

19. HeHasTheJazzHands

EVERYONE had Clinton winning, not just the "MSM". Polls, betting markets... Even Trump's own pollsters had Trump losing with, at best, 230 EVs. The only people that had Trump winning were guys like Dick Morris, who are historically wrong. They had their wet dream, though; non-enthusiastic democrats.

20. AngstRiddenDreams

I guarantee there's a much more large percentage of liberals voting in online polls than conservatives. If Trumps supporters were middle class rural White voters, do you imagine these people as the type that spend a large enough time on the internet to participate in a poll?