Obama Coming Out?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by TRENCHLORD, May 9, 2012.

1. Waelstrum

Waelstrum All Fourths Advocate

Obviously a church isn't a necessity for most people (or it might be in America) but there are religious gay people, too. I know one, and I'm sure there are others.

2. TemjinStrife

TemjinStrife Power Metal Cellist

There are plenty of churches that are willing and able to do gay marriages. However, many of them are now barred from doing so by state law. :shrug:

The government can't "make" a church perform gay marriages. But, by making it legal across the country, you put a lot of pressure on churches (especially ones that are more liberal and congregation-centric dogmatically) to allow such marriages. And, with the growing rate of acceptance of homosexuality, there will soon be a time where some congregations will be putting a lot of pressure on their churches to allow such marriages if they do not do so already.

Just like you can get a mixed-race Catholic marriage at pretty much any church fifty years after the Civil Rights Act, I predict you will eventually be able to get a same-sex marriage in the majority (although certainly not every) church once gay marriage becomes nearly universal and a generation or two passes.

3. TemjinStrife

TemjinStrife Power Metal Cellist

My point was, I have a very conservative, deeply religious gay friend (I know, right? :nuts:) who wants to get married in a church, like his sister did last year. It seems reprehensible to me to deny him that right (from my own personal moral standpoint; it's not something that's legally supported in any way.)

4. Blake1970

Blake1970 SS.org Regular

I think somewhere in this thread someone mentioned to the effect that the church allows atheist to get married so why not gays? Thought that was a good point. I don't see what the big deal is with gay marriage anyways. People need to learn how to relax.

5. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

This popped up on my Facebook feed. My usual response to this kind of thing is usually staggering indifference. However, this tickled me:

[​IMG]

6. tacotiklah

tacotiklah I am Denko (´・ω・`)

Well, I kind of agree with not forcing churches to marry people. I know of churches in the south that still refuse to marry interracial couples. I don't agree with it at all, but they are a private institution and it becomes a case of "Don't like it? Go somewhere else."
    I would suggest the same to your friend. There ARE more liberal-minded churches out there that would marry your friend and his fiancee, so my advice should gay marriage be legalized is for them to find one. It's really a case of idiots having the constitutional freedom to be idiots and in this case, it is technically legal for a church to spout prejudice and claim protection under freedom of religion. I'm one of the types that believes in a middle of the road approach. Legalize gay marriage, but if a church doesn't allow it, don't force them. It will be rough going for LGBTs for a while after it is allowed, but as the civil rights movement has proven, things will eventually get to a point where bigots will be an overall minority. It will never go away entirely, but it will get better, but it will get worse first.

Case in point, the main topic of this thread. People pretty much didn't discuss gay marriage much, then when Obama made his speech about it, EVERY crazy bigot came out the woodwork to voice their hatred. Suddenly Obama is declaring war on marriage (according to Rush Limbaugh) and gays need to be thrown into concentration camps and god knows what else. Even here, there was hardly any discussion about LGBTs, but as soon as Obama said something about it, threads started opening. I'm not complaining, but merely observing that we've all be thrust into the spotlight, and it won't all go so well for us for a little while. But it needed to happen if change is ever gonna happen. So sorry fellow gay/bi/trans forumers, but we're gonna be up shit creek without a paddle for a little while. I do hang onto the hope that things will improve eventually. It's like an infected wound that has been festering for a while. There will be a very painful, but necessary cleansing that has been long overdue.

7. Waelstrum

Waelstrum All Fourths Advocate

I read that as transformers at first. :lol:

8. renzoip

renzoip I Am the Table

Rush Limbaugh will accuse you now of wanting to put homophobes in concentration camps. :nuts:

9. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    I haven't been keeping up with this topic, but I think I read this between the lines.

Religions which allow homosexuals to marry should be denied their religious freedom, and forced to live according to another person's religious views.

Did I get that right?

10. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

Considering some religions have come into existence in more recent history I too find it odd that Christians who aren't Old testament about everything are in fact forced by law to follow the beliefs of far more radical Christian's.

11. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    True fact: the majority of First Amendment cases about religion which reach the Supreme Court have Christians forcing their religion on others.

For all the whining about not being able to worship as they wish, it appears that it's instead about being denied the ability to impose their beliefs on others. That's what all those court cases are about.