NVD: New 7-string! With a... 13" scale?

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Dayn, Nov 24, 2016.

1. Dayn

Dayn silly person

Not a G, a V.

Behold:

[​IMG]

Photo I was sent before shipping:

[​IMG]

It's a Reiter Alien II violin. I asked for it without a bout. Tuning? From high to low, EADGCFBb.

Lowest note is Bb, 7-string guitar tuned down a semitone. It's a 13" scale.

Crappy test clip.

I don't have a bow yet, so I held it like my guitar and just used a pick. High to low, low to high, clean and distorted. Some power chords, easy since it's tuned in fifths. Then I figured I'd throw in a bit of Soul Burn and New Millennium Cyanide Christ. Also, I've only had a total of 3 hours with a violin before, so my intonation isn't the best.

Through my POD HD500. Using identical settings that I use for my Ibanez RG2228 with EMG808Xs. No tweaking. Rough recording as I was just excited to share it. Also, do you know how hard it is to play palm muted metal on an instrument less than half the length of the one you're used to?!

So why did I get it?
    If you search for electric 7-string violins on Google, you'll probably find a link to one of my posts around here from a long while ago. Basically, I wanted a violin. It had to be electric. Given that, I figured, .... tradition. I want to play my violin lower than a cello. So here I am.

Ordering process
    Tom Reiter makes these in the Czech Republic. I tried to use the order form, but it didn't work, so I emailed him directly. A couple of days later I got a response. I already told him exactly what I wanted, so I just asked him to confirm total price plus shipping and PayPal details, so I put a deposit down. About 8 weeks later I was sent the second image you see above, and I transferred the rest. It was shipped on the third of November, and arrived yesterday on the 23rd, but didn't get it until today because I finished at 8pm last night...

It was pretty simple. I said exactly what I wanted, and away we went.

It was 565 Euros, plus shipping. The cheapest made-to-order one I could find that looked good.

The violin itself
    First, it looks stunning and plays pretty well. The very fine details are a bit rough at a few spots, such as an almost unnoticeable chipping on the back where you slot the strings through. A couple of very tiny marks, and the fingerboard, though well done, is not of the same level as a Prestige Ibanez.

That being said, the only other instruments I could see were at least 4 to 5 times the cost. For the price, this is an incredibly well-done instrument. The flaws are cosmetic in nature, but few and far between and impossible to see unless you inspect it very closely.

Body and neck is maple. Fingerboard and fittings are ebony. Piezo pickup under the bridge with a 9V preamp. Tuners are standard guitar tuners which make it so much easier to tune. The only thing is, because it's headless, the tuners can be a little awkward to adjust, but that means they're harder to accidentally knock around, too.

All in all I'm pretty damn happy, and can't wait to pick up a bow tomorrow. It came with a nice sturdy violin case, but no bow or rosin. And, having only played violin for a total of 3 hours, I didn't have any on hand.

But I'm incredibly excited to learn.

I don't know if you found this helpful, but I hope it was inspiring in some way. This is awesome.

2. vansinn

vansinn SS.org Regular

Schönes Reiter, Sieben Saiter, macht's immer Weiter :agreed:

Didn't know of those. I've been contemplating returning to violin for a while, so Danke for showing this. Lovely instrument.
    Does feel to me a Bit too much with seven strings; I would prefer six of five.

How is the handling, I mean, the chinpad and balance when used as a violin?

3. Dayn

Dayn silly person

I don't have a shoulder rest yet, but it's well-balanced and easy to hold without it. Very light, but of course not as light as a traditional violin. It's as heavy as it needs to be, and no more.

The tail end is of course heavier due to the machine heads, but being headless the centre of gravity is closer to the shoulder, which is a good design.

I think 7 strings is overkill, but that's why I got it!

4. CovertSovietBear

CovertSovietBear SS.org Regular

Doesn't sound bad at all (honestly what some people sound like on an 27" 8 string on here, cough cough).

Sounds like you can come up with some pretty cool stuff on it once you have a bow.

5. Dayn

Dayn silly person

I have in mind to write some music similar to Stream City. I discovered them on here and was thoroughly impressed, so I'd like to incorporate distortion and pizzicato as well, given my primary experience as a guitarist.

I did end up getting a bow and a shoulder rest. It's proving much more difficult to learn compared to the 4-string violin I played, because of the tight string spacing. It really requires a high degree of precision to play a single string, and the high E is a bit awkward to bow. But it's all part of the challenge.