[NPD] Mooer Ocean Machine

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by thraxil, Apr 7, 2017.

1. thraxil

thraxil cylon

Ordered this off Andertons yesterday. Got it this afternoon. Haven't really had time to play with it, but I will update once I have:

[​IMG]

I won't comment on how it sounds until I've had a chance to actually give it a fair trial. Physically, though, I don't have any complaints yet. Feels well built. Nice knurled metal knobs, good switches, everything feels sturdy. Weighs a ton. They didn't include a power supply with it, which feels a little cheap for a pedal this size/price (it just takes a regular 9V center-negative though).

packaging shots:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have a giant pedalboard for messing around at home making all kinds of noises, but really, this and gain should cover 95% of what I do. So I think what I'm going to do is pick up a pedaltrain nano or something similarly sized and make a super portable rig with this and my AMT Bulava. That will be nice to just grab and go.

[​IMG]

2. Gravy Train

Gravy Train Night Fiddler

I just watched the demo on Andertons for this. It seems like an awesome pedal, I'd love to get my hands on one of these! Please update when you've had a chance to put it through it's paces.

3. Cheap

Cheap .....ite

i was gonna ask about the build quality. glad to see it seems sturdy. these look super cool for the price and having the ability to run it with presets is making all of my strymon gas go away. do you know how many presets you can have total? i think in the anderton's video lee got it up to a 3rd bank but didn't go any further

4. Wolfhorsky

Wolfhorsky Regular idiot

If it has reverb comparable to Cloud setting on Strymon BigSky i will prob buy it. I will eventually anyway :lol:
    Cloud reverb is imho the best reverb in the world.

TheWarAgainstTime likes this.
  5. thraxil

thraxil cylon

OK, haven't had a ton of time with it yet but enough to form some impressions.

Overall, I'd say it delivers.

The basic delays and reverbs sound really good. The sound quality overall is excellent. Deep and lush. I've only run it in mono so far though. Going to move some stuff around tomorrow so I can set up a little stereo rig to try it with. One of my benchmarks for comparison is an Axe-Fx II, which has amazing delays and reverbs, but I'm used to hearing that in a full stereo setup. So far, I'd put the Ocean Machine up against any of the standard Boss, Digitech, TC, Line6, etc. Strymon probably doesn't need to worry about them.

The weirder modulated delays ("rainbow", "crystal", "lo-bit", "fuzzy", "tri-mod", etc.) sound pretty good but I lack some tweakability (unless I just haven't found the right menus yet). The "effect" part I tend to find a little overwhelming and would like a way to adjust those without just turning down the mix/feedback on the overall delay. I like what I get out of my Digitech Obscura more on those types. Overall, I tend to gravitate towards more vanilla delay types ("digital", "analog", "tape") though no matter what I'm using. Same deal on the effected reverbs. I do like that the "shimmer" is a separate control and can be brought into any of the basic reverb types. That goes a long way towards making up for the fairly basic controls. I also really like that holding down, eg, the 'Delay A' button puts that delay into self-oscillation, going back to normal when you step off. On the right settings, it can sort of mimic what an EHX Freeze does, letting you suspend a chord indefinitely while playing over it. Or, you can do crazy out of control noise with it.

The looper is pretty straightforward. Only one loop, goes up to 44 seconds. But it has reverse and half-speed. Half-speed doesn't necessarily sound "good", but it's interesting and a lot of fun. My usual looper is just a TC ditto mini, so this can totally fill its role. If you're used to a more powerful looper and rely on multiple independent loops, you'll want to hang on to that.

The controls overall are a bit iffy. I mean, it's packing a lot of stuff into one pedal, so I don't expect everything to be super intuitive and convenient. But, eg, to access tap tempo, you have to hold down two of the buttons at once, and they're far enough apart that you can't do that without turning your foot sideways. I use tap tempo often enough that that gets kind of annoying. Going into looper mode also requires the same double-button press, but personally, if I'm using the looper, i'm probably messing around on my own, so it's fine. Tap tempo is important for me though so I'll probably look into using an external switch (I assume I can plug one into the expression jack, or at least get something working with the MIDI in).

A lot of the settings are just not terribly easy to access. Changing the order of the signal chain takes some work, but I don't think you'd be doing that too much. On the other hand, setting the note division is also buried down there and that seems like something you might want easier access to.
    Basically, it seems fantastic for a practice rig or using at home, writing, etc. If you're going to use it live, you are probably going to want to spend the time in advance making presets so you can just step through them. I wouldn't want to be messing around with any of the individual controls in the middle of a performance.

6. thraxil

thraxil cylon

24 presets total.

7. thraxil

thraxil cylon

I don't have a BigSky to compare it to. I'd compare the reverb favorably to my Digitech Polara or a TC HoF. But, despite all the knobs, it's relatively simple. You only have a couple basic parameters that you can adjust. It sounds really good but, eg, on the reverbs on my Axe-Fx II, I can adjust like a dozen different parameters. I assume that some of the Strymon magic is a similar amount of control over every aspect.

8. Wolfhorsky

Wolfhorsky Regular idiot

:bowdown:Thank You for Your time You took to elaborate, review and reply.

9. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

It never fails, you finally pull the trigger on a pedal & something else comes along.. :rolleyes:

Last November, I got a great deal on a TC Triple Flashback Delay (ironically, Devin has (or had) one of these on his board for a while). While the TC doesn't have the "rainbow" or "crystal" modes, it's still a pretty decent delay considering I only paid $250 (CDN) for it. The Ocean Machine would probably be over $400 even if I could find one around these parts.

10. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

Yup, this is why we all have GAS, something else always comes out that we just NEED to have, lol.

LA Music sells the Ocean Machine for $400 CDN+ tax.

11. Wolfhorsky

Wolfhorsky Regular idiot

Damn it is cheap... damn... GAS is growing...

12. CapnForsaggio

CapnForsaggio Cap'n (general)

I also have a review, its good overall, with some "cons" -

1) First version DOES NOT SYNC with a midi clock. It will only send and rec control messages. HUGE FAIL, in my opinion.
    2) Very affected sounds can get some kind of static or distortion going on in the trails. This one isn't actually so bad, as I don't use such wet sounds.

They have promised to include midi clock synchronization to future updates, but I have only some US representative's promise....

This is actually a deal breaker for me, so it is going back until sync is functioning.

Wolfhorsky likes this.
  13. Ericjutsu

Ericjutsu SS.org Regular

Do they sell these anywhere in the U.S.? None of the major retailers seem to have them.

14. CapnForsaggio

CapnForsaggio Cap'n (general)

I got mine through some music store in New York City, shipped to me. It seemed to be the only place fulfilling orders.

15. sylcfh

sylcfh SS.org Regular

Dual delay and reverb? Someone is making a Holdsworth lead patch right now. I hope.

16. The 1

The 1 SS.org Regular

I just got one of these, had a question:

Is there a way to power-off the pedal without unplugging it?

17. sonofabias

sonofabias SS.org Regular

Which store , if I may ask ?