[NPD] Mooer Micro Preamp 005

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by rahnvu, Mar 28, 2017.

1. rahnvu

rahnvu SS.org Regular

Just got this tiny thing today, and after 30 minutes playing with it:

:hbang:

I rarely ever get overwhelmed by toans or gear, but this pedal really delivers for an insanely low price! So far I have only played it through my 20 year old Peavey Studio Pro 112 in the FX return. I compared it with the built in distortion and it just eliminates my use for that channel ever again.
    I also tried it through the clean and drive channels as a distortion pedal or a boost. It works like this too, but it doesn't come close to the energy and feel it gives through the FX return. I cannot recommend this cheap thing enough! As in my case, i really recommend it if you have a small head or combo that sounds meh but has an FX loop. Jesus Mc Christyballs it's good! :D

I'll test it directly through my Focusrite 2i4 soon and record a couple of demos if someone is interested. I'll also try it through a Krank Rev 1 and a 5150II, but that won't be before sometime next week.

Score: 10/10 would chug!

Dantas and aWoodenShip like this.
  2. aWoodenShip

aWoodenShip Great Job, Jeremy.

Nice! I've been thinking about getting it to put in front of my DI. But I already have a 5150 Overdrive pedal and I'm wondering if it would be any better for what I'm trying to do. You wouldn't have any experience with the overdrive to compare them would you?

3. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

Nice man. 009 showed up last week and I've been playing around with it all weekend. Dig these, especially at this price point. I'll grab a couple more for sure.

4. rahnvu

rahnvu SS.org Regular

I have tried the MXR 5150 both in one of my local stores and a week ago through the clean channel of previously mentioned 5150II. In both occasions i found the pedal massively disappointing for what it's supposed to be. I had to dime the volume and increase all 3 eq bands up to 7 before it sounded somewhat okay. Having said this though; Toans = Subjective. Also i don't know how or if the MXR 5150 works as a preamp through FX return or not. I can try it again next week when i bring my 005. I didn't know this until i got it, but on the side it reads "Fifty Fifty Three" :lol:

5. rahnvu

rahnvu SS.org Regular

mnemonic likes this.
  6. rahnvu

rahnvu SS.org Regular

Seems like everyone lost interest? Oh well, I made a video anyway.

mnemonic likes this.
  7. Wolfhorsky

Wolfhorsky Regular idiot

Really nice sound, mate.
    I might try one.

8. rahnvu

rahnvu SS.org Regular

Thanks! I've been experimenting with the HM2 to get it useable without being too extreme, and this seems to be the closest I've been. Not too happy with the sound on the clip i posted before the video, but since testing the 005 on a Krank Rev 1 and a Vox AC30 i am definately happy with the preamp. Pondering which one to get next :D