NPD: Metal Strat Mods!

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by RobbYoung, Jul 25, 2015.

1. RobbYoung

RobbYoung Psalm Mutes End Wars

New Pickup Day... New Pickguard Day... New Electronics Day...

I guess this counts as all of them. I recently bought a Bareknuckle Painkiller off of Sevenstring user "guy in latvia", with the intention to put it in my MIM Strat.
    [​IMG]
    It was fully stock, and still had the SSS config, and as I wanted to keep that as it was, I bought a custom pick guard from Warmoth. The pickup was black, and so I took a gamble and bought a black matte pickguard with a Hum in the bridge and two pot spots. I knew one would be a Volume, but I didn't know if I wanted a tone control or a PU selector, to allow for other PU layouts than standard operation.

[​IMG]

The rotary switch I ended up going for was 3 way, with the 3 modes being Standard Hum, Series, and Bridge coil only. The biggest hassle when putting in the switch was getting all the wires installed. Every pin (12 outer, 4 inner) had an individual wire, and getting them all to fit right was a nightmare.

Once that and the volume pot were installed, and the electronics were grounded, I finally had my Metal Strat! :shred:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And a final photo next to my Schecter 8 String:
    [​IMG]

AkiraSpectrum and FretsOnFyre like this.
  2. jarledge

jarledge SS.org Regular

sweet dude. I have a parts-caster that has a warmoth neck on it and i think the body might be from all parts. I bought it as a parts-caster but it had a different neck, pickguard and electronics.

I bought my pickguard from Custom Guitar Parts and Accessories. Everything you need to play! and the neck from warmoth and have a dimarzio gravity storm set in it with master volume and a fender TBX pot for the tone. The TBX pot is a sweet mod if you ever want to add a tone control.

Either way she looks good.

3. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

looks great!

4. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

Did a partscaster last year that was a single pickup and I chose the PK as well. Loves being down tuned, just an all around badass pickup. Looks good man, I love this style.

5. metale

metale SS.org Regular

Think about trying the neck-side coil alone in the last position, it usually sounds better and BKP recomends it that way.

By the way, looks great!