NPD Earthquaker Devices Afterneath

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Alex Kenivel, Sep 13, 2014.

1. Alex Kenivel

Alex Kenivel Psycho, dont engage

Being an atmosphere nut, when I saw videos and a few demos for this thing, I knew I had to have it. My wife thought otherwise, but after all the work iver been putting into our hectic lives that are soon to be even more hectic, I thought I'd treat myself to something besides the 8-string I just bought (and the new coil tap pot, and dozens of strings) :lol:

After finally searching for one a few weeks later, a lot of places were out of them and waiting for shipments, until I found one on Amazon from Pitbull Audio in my homestate of California. Seeing as how I had about $200 in Amazon gift cards plus 10% for being the k'niving bastard I am, I gave my wife a big "talk-to-the-hand" as I entered my CC info to paypal last Friday.

This came in on the following Monday

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Nothing fancy on the box. I hoped for something at least a little nicer for $225, but it wasn't the box I was looking forward to..

[​IMG]

^some of the stuff it came with. sticker, manual and product catalog.

[​IMG]

Hailing from Akron, Ohio, USA, weighing in at just over a half a pound, wearing a funky, thinner-than-canvas sack,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Havent had too much time to play with it this week, at least an hour every other day until yesterday after work, and after my ex picked up my son from our house it has been almost non stop with this thing.

Seeing as how I dont have ANY reverb at all, and that's just a good scratching of the surface of what this pedal does, I feel justified buying it. Actually, the settings in the pictures above are pretty much a good basic reverb effect.

It took me bit to familiarize myself with this pedals jargon (control names) but after that I had this thing figured out for the most part. For the first few days I wasn't really sure If I wanted to keep it because I couldn't get a sound I really loved.

A few days of tweaking fixed that attitude. The "Reflect" and "Length" knobs can be quite touchy and it doesn't take much to get this thing to its "oddworldly" state. "Dampen" is pretty much a tone control and with the "Diffuse" knob, hard left brings out the delay-ish qualities, while hard right makes for more a washy reverb quality.

The "Drag" knob changes the pitch and some of the character of the reverb/delays kind of like the Diffuse knob, though I haven't abused it too much to really know what it does besides the cool pitch changing. I've heard some gripes about how it should have an expression pedal for the Drag feature, but since its' strategic location on this pedal, and my strategic placement of the pedal onto my pedal board, I can just move the knob with my toe as I do my MXR Carbon Copy.

I run the carbon copy>afterneath>ditto looper and I have layer after layer of fun.

Though I must say, this pedal can be pretty noisy. You can hear the button click pretty well and there is some hiss when activated. I run all my pedals in front of the amp so I'm pretty used to it, and when It's on im usually playing noise atmospheric stuff anyway.

So far I can say I honestly like the pedal, and now I have three self-occilating pedals to play with!

EDIT: CLIPS!

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/alex-kenivel/earthquaker-devices-afterneath-basic-reverb[/SC]

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/alex-kenivel/earthquaker-devices-afterneath-washy-reverb-playing-with-drag-knob[/SC]

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/alex-kenivel/earthquaker-devices-afterneath-less-washy-more-delay[/SC]

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/alex-kenivel/earthquaker-devices-afterneath-adding-delay-to-the-mix[/SC]

[sc]https://soundcloud.com/alex-kenivel/earthquaker-devices-afterneath-improv[/sc]

2. katsumura78

katsumura78 SS.org Regular

I just ordered one of these Thursday, looking forward to trying it out!

3. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

Got my Hoof Fuzz, Afterneath, and Grand Orbiter Phaser last week. Haven't had a ton of time to mess around with them. The Afterneath takes some playing around with for sure, but some real cool sounds come from that thing. Have the Afterneath and Grand Orbiter it FX loop along with my POG2. Really like the Grand Orbiter a lot as well.

4. Alex Kenivel

Alex Kenivel Psycho, dont engage

Clips are up

5. Dawn of the Shred

Dawn of the Shred More Guitars Please

Congrats and hnpd!

6. 3074326

3074326 Local Astronaut

Grats! I will call you my Afterneathy brother. Have fun blasting off into new universes. I hope you smoke pot. :lol:

Alex Kenivel likes this.
  7. celticelk

celticelk Enflamed with prayer

Yep. Still want one.

HNPD!

8. TheRileyOBrien

TheRileyOBrien SS.org Regular

I have had one on backorder for a while...hopefully they deliver on these soon. I can't wait.

9. nostealbucket

nostealbucket aint no gahdam woman

Thinking about getting one of these. I've had the Bit Commander, the Organizer, and the Rainbow Machine for a while now and I absolutely love those pedals... I'm kind of afraid this pedal will take a few months to musically apply without it sounding one dimensional (my previous beef with the rainbow machine, which is now my favorite pedal)...

10. Triple7

Triple7 The Decepticon

Congrats dude! This is the next pedal on my list!