NPD: DiMarzio Titans (with a tweest!)

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Sogradde, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Sogradde

Sogradde SS.org Regular

As I promised, here is my honeymoon rose-tinted immediate review of my new Titans. But before we start, you gotta check out these sick fellas!

[​IMG]

I didn't like any of the default colors so I ordered my own. In case you can't see it: They are matte white with gold polepieces. Actually I expected them to be plastic-shiny white but they are plastic-matte white, I'm fine with both though.
    Fun fact: I posted that exact picture on instagram and Jake actually liked it. I'm not even much of a Periphery fan but I still giggled so Misha if you read this, give Jake a hug or a high five or whatever. Something nice please.

First a couple of bad things: Ordering custom colored pickups from DiMarzio is hella expensive. I paid nearly 20% upcharge for bobbins and polepieces they have lying around anyway but oh well, I chose this so I will endure it. What I didn't choose however was, that DiMarzio and Ibanez have vastly different ideas when it comes to pickup mounting. While DiMarzio believes long fine-thread screws with springs are the shit, Ibanez firmly sticks with short wood screws and foam. Also the Titans are just a tad higher than the Tone Zone/Air Norton combo I had in my guitar before so I had to improvise. I decided on pieces of cardboard and the old screws for the perfect height.
    In the end, I'm pretty happy with how they look:

[​IMG]

So how do they sound? Well, decide yourself. All riffs are played twice, the first one is always the TZ/AN combo, second are the Titans. I tried to cover as many pickup variants as possible so we have high gain bridge -> high gain neck -> clean bridge -> clean neck. Same settings, same strings, no post-processing whatsoever. All the sounds are done with TH3 Overloud through my Scarlett 2i2.

I actually laughed when I heard the takes because it absolutely doesn't reflect the difference in feel whatsoever. While the TZ/AN always sounded good recorded, I absolutely disliked the way I had to fight for every single note. Also, while playing they always sounded wrong to me, even though I knew they sounded well. The Titans are way different. They compress without being sterile and make playing so much easier for me, even thought they sound pretty identical to the TZ/AN on record. The neck pickup is fine, nothing spectacular but better than the Air Norton. The bridge pickup works really really well with both, high gain and clean sounds. I'm super excited to test them through my rig at band practice next week and I hope this honeymoon lasts a while.

By the way, here are the DI tracks if you want to try your own distortion.

2. Sogradde

Sogradde SS.org Regular

Eh, pictures are here because linking them doesn't seem to work.

WhatsApp Image 2017-12-30 at 03.10.54.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2017-12-30 at 03.07.37.jpeg

couverdure, AkiraSpectrum and gienek like this.
  3. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

congrats! hope they work out for you at band practice.

I have a set of black covered Titans in my LTD EC-1000. Definitely great for precision playing. The neck shines on a clean setting with reverb, delay, chorus, etc.

Sogradde likes this.
  4. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

I never really buy signature stuff, but the Titans are awesome. I have a titan 7 in my 752fx (which replaced a Crunchlab 7 that just never sounded right to me) and a titan 6 that I think ill put in my PRS torero SE (which currently has SD blackouts) with a matching neck Titan

Also, it's cool that they look like evolutions with that color scheme, I dig it man

Sogradde likes this.
  5. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire pickupwhoricus americanus

Congrats. Normally not into gold and white pickups but they seem to work well in that guitar. I really liked the titan but it was just too tight and took too much gain for me to get the saturated sound I like. Still an awesome sounding pickup, just not my kind of thing.

Sogradde likes this.