NPD: Dimarzio IBZ USA F3

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by MatiasTolkki, Oct 3, 2018.

1. MatiasTolkki

MatiasTolkki Burn In Agony

Now I wouldnt wanna start a thread like this before the pup is in my hands but I found a rare bird: A grey bobbin F3. I didnt even notice as a friend told me that I would probably like the F3 if I like the F2 (which i do). I should have this in my hands next week (hopefully this week but who knows with Ishibashi), and I will drop it in asap. I also have a black F3 on order direct through dimarzio but i wont get that for awhile and if I like what the F3 offers, I'll dump the black one into another guitar. Since I dont have the pup with me, I'll just post the link to the pictures below :)

https://store.ishibashi.co.jp/ec/pro/disp/1/03-706022702

Randy likes this.
  2. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

I haven't heard much about the F3, but I was a fan of the F2/C3/F4 pickups that were in an old RG770 I owned. Definitely an underrated series of pickups!

3. MatiasTolkki

A lot of people say the F3 is a different voiced Super 3, but it's actually quite different supposedly: Everything about the F2 boosted like crazy, supposedly. I have an F2/F1 (F1 has been modded with different screws to make it warmer) set in my 550RFR right now, and I REALLY dig how if you turn down the tone knob, the pup gets really warm, and using the tone knob as a natural boost, instead of a bunch of pedals, is just amazing.

TheWarAgainstTime likes this.
  4. GoldDragon

GoldDragon SS.org Regular

I read something that said the F2 was like a Tone Zone and ... maybe you could come to that conclusion.. but imo the F2 was definitely *ceramic* with the tight mids. I think the TZ is A5. I thought the F2 was pushing into ceramic/distortion category.

An F3 is even hotter than an F2, so its probably like a Super3+. Maybe in the realm of the SD Invader.

MatiasTolkki likes this.
  5. MatiasTolkki

yeah, the f2 is a TZ with a ceramic magnet. i like how responsive the tone knob is with it actually.

6. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

Steve Blucher at Dimarzio told me that the F2 is a Tone Zone with a ceramic magnet, so I can confirm this.

I've never heard the F3, though. That one will be interesting to hear if you post clips.

7. MatiasTolkki

You want clean tones or distorted? The pup should arrive today and I'm gonna drop it into my 550 asap, hopefully i can do something tomorrow or Monday

tedtan, aesthyrian and setsuna7 like this.
  8. MatiasTolkki

Havent had time to get that demo set up yet, but I can say this much about it: It sounds absolutely KILLER. I think it might have overthrown the Carvin M22SD as my favorite bridge pup.

9. GoldDragon

GoldDragon SS.org Regular

Rumor has it, Dimarzio had to stop making the F3 because it's so awesome, none of their other pickups would sell.

They didn't want to be known as the "F3 company".

10. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

Glad to hear you're liking it.

Personally, I'd like to hear it distorted (rhythm and lead) if you get the chance.

MatiasTolkki likes this.
  11. MatiasTolkki

I'll see what i can do this weekend. Diet things keep me busy but i'll do my best to get something for you. Tuning will be Eb just for reference.

12. MatiasTolkki

Well I was trying to record something now but my stupid Reaper wouldn't recognize my Yamaha THR10 for some stupid reason. I'll need to figure out what's wrong and fix it.

13. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

No rush, man. Take your time.

MatiasTolkki likes this.