NPD! Boss SD-1!

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by PunkBillCarson, Aug 12, 2018.

1. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

Okay so I was in the market today looking for a new overdrive to see what my options were and I saw a Boss SD-1 for 30 dollars. I figured, ah what the hell? If I don't like it, I can always get another TS-9. So I traded my TS-9 for it, plugged it into my amp and holy shit... Grime and grind like you wouldn't believe. Keep in mind, I'm running it into a 6505+ with a 2x12 with Governor/Swamp Thang combo. It doesn't have the annoying mid hump that most tube screamers are known for. Just a clear hard edge with no squishiness or anything like that.

I don't have pics and I don't have the capability to post clips, but needless to say, this thing is doing the job I WISH my TS-9 had been doing all along. For what I play (black/thrash/death metal) this thing absolutely slays. I understand it's got less than stellar views in some places, but for me, this thing is perfect. I'm also proud to say that I actually came up the better end of the deal seeing as they gave me 17 dollars back. Worth it? Not sure. But that 17 dollars is going toward a fret dress on my Epiphone and the same Epiphone is being set up in B standard for some good ol' At The Gates style grime.

The first thing I noticed however was that I needed a tad more gain on either the pedal or the amp to give me the same juice that a boost normally does, but it made my amp go from sounding like the typical metalcore amp to an all out hate machine. The only thing I can't wait for is to see how my Epiphone with Black Winters sounds in B standard through it.

2. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

It's a classic.

3. Bentaycanada

Bentaycanada SS.org Regular

They really sound great with Marshall amps!

Great pedal for their price. another very similar pedal that is great for the price and sound, is the MXR ZW-44. Which isn’t too surprising, as Zakk used an SD-1 for years.

wakjob and Carl Kolchak like this.
  4. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

Nice!
    Yeah, the SD-1 is really great for adding extra aggression and speed in comparison to your typical TS/OD.

5. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

Yeah, the SD-1 is great. It adds an upper mid aggressiveness that Tube Screamers don't.

I had several of them years ago. I modded them in all kinds of different ways, but eventually sold them all looking for more expensive options. After several years of not having one, I really missed having one around, so I recently got one for about $30 also that I plan to keep forever. It is just an amazing tool to have. I think they tend to require a little gain also, but that is because they dont have as much volume as many other Tubescreamer based pedals.

Many of the MXR boost pedals are based on the SD-1 design. One of my favorites is the BAOD, M77. It is like the GT-OD with a bass control, that was based on the ZW-44, that was based on the SD-1. Similar aggressiveness, but with more controls.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  6. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Yeah, if anything the SD-1 feels like it actually takes away some of the gain. But it helps because, compared to a TS, the sound is clearer, tighter, and more aggressive. I can't go back to using one because I'm so spoiled by the SD1.

If you want the best of both worlds, get an MXR Badass OD down the road. Like Shask said above. It's basically an SD-1, but has more control over the bass. It also has *slightly* more output and a Bump knob that adds more center mids to make it more TS-like.

kindsage and KailM like this.
  7. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

+1. I love my CBAM OD, and haven't even looked for another OD since buying it. Like PunkBillCarson said, the SD-1 style circuit takes that typical 'metalcore' sound of a TS-boosted 6505+ and gives you a more harmonically complex, aggressive sound that is more ideal for harsher genres like death, black, and thrash metal. I find that it even makes my lead tones sound better. Once I got one, a completely stopped using my TS-9 and eventually sold it.

8. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire despair ahead

+1 The CBMOD is probably my favorite cheaper OD. Very aggressive. The only pedal I've used that's even more aggressive is the airis savage drive. The only reason I got rid of my cbmod was because the airis had some extra eq options.

9. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

With even more time with it, I've noticed this raw sound that I can get with not too much effort. I've also done the naughty and added a hair of gain on the drive knob on the pedal and that gives me that little extra boost I need. With every guitar I play through it through, it's just all out aggressive nastiness. I feel like it allows my amp's more natural tone to come through compared to a TS and it has way more balls compared to that of the TS-9 I used before. Right now as it stands, best choice I've made in a LONG time. Up next will be an MXR 10 band.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  10. Beheroth

Beheroth SS.org Regular

KailM right now
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  11. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

Ironically, the SD-1 is literally a TS with asymmetrical clipping.

But it still is my choice over a regular 808,
    like you said, it has some mojo.

12. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

It cuts bass at a higher frequency, so it ends up cutting more bass than a TS, but adding more upper mids in the 1500hz to 2000hz range than a TS. The asymmetrical clipping doesn't matter much if you leave the drive on 0.

I got mine out, and just spent 2 hours playing it because of this thread. :) That pedal just always works for aggressive high again.

13. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

If I could put that whole meme in my sig I would. What I don't understand is why MXR hasn't offered me an endorsement deal yet...:lol:

rexbinary and Beheroth like this.